Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1970 EB
Audra and I found an EB stuck out in the weeds last August, 2007. After a long ordeal we finally picked it up May 24th of this year.

It is a 1970 EB 57K miles on it. Rough life of course. 302 3spd. Bench seat and 1/2 cab bulkhead. It was supposed to have some upgrades on it, but it didn't :down: but it was very cheap and will work very well for what we want.

Plans are pretty much full width axles, propane, 4 link rear, auto tranny, and maybe an exo cage if we can design one we like that doesn't kill the looks beyond the basics of lift, lockers and such. Full cage, color will end up being Med blue, or dark green I think.
Just trying to get it on the trail for now and have some fun.

Here it is as we found it.
[Image: img_2031.jpg]

We went to pick it up. Out in the middle of nowhere Minnesota. The owner wasn't home, but knew we were coming and said load it. Kind of felt funny the garage and house were wide open we could have went in and made dinner if we wanted to.

The truck had been sitting for an indefinite amount of years. When we started to winch it up on the trailer we found the front brakes were froze and the wheels wouldn't move. So we drug it.
[Image: img_9289.jpg]
[Image: img_9320.jpg]

We had to stop in the middle of the loading process and wait for the wildlife to move out.
A squirrel had made a nest behind the seat. We stopped and waited for her to carry her 3 babies out.
[Image: img_9294.jpg]

Dragging it up the ramp, front tires skidding and all I thought I wasn't going to get it then finally one wheel broke loose and the second one shortly after.
[Image: img_9311.jpg]

It took some time to clean it up. The jungle was growing on it.
[Image: img_9771.jpg]
[Image: img_9751.jpg]

After
[Image: img_9790.jpg]
[Image: img_9791.jpg]

Pulled the plugs, oiled down the cylinders. Tried to turn it over by hand and could not budge it.
[Image: img_9851.jpg]

Checked all the fluids, dropped a battery in, and I got a little worried. With the 900 amp optima, 250 booster the engine would not turn over.
[Image: img_9848.jpg]

Proceeded to build new battery cables, and still nothing. It tried once in a while. So last item, stater. I pulled the starter out and found the bell housing full of wood chips and garbage.
[Image: img_0347.jpg]

Pulled the starter apart, put new brushes in it while I was there. Kind of melted the old ones. Then cleaned out the bellhousing the best I could.
Had quite a pyle and there is some left I am sure.
[Image: img_0381.jpg]

The engine turns over great now. So dumped some fuel in and tried to fire it up. Nothing happens, so I check for spark. Nothing. Did some checking and found the points were welded shut. (I know y'all remember those right?)
Cleaned the points, put a fuel filter on and boom it purs like a kitten.

Next step is to get the Clutch adjusted and freed up, I assume it is stuck after having all that crap in there for who knows how many years.
Then I need to build inner fenders there isn't much holding the radiator right now.

Was just going to fix what was there and ride it on Labor day, but It won't be ready so now instead of fixing the front axle I am trying to swap it out now.

The rest of these are just random pics. The fun is just beginning.

[Image: img_9748.jpg]
[Image: img_9802.jpg]
[Image: img_9803.jpg]
[Image: img_9804.jpg]
[Image: img_9808.jpg]
That's a great find... not many out there like that anymore. I look forward to seeing your progress on it - it looks like you've already had good luck with it and got her running! Good Score!! :xyxthumbs:
'74 Grocery Getter, '73 Project Buggy, '77 Parts Rig

[Image: Bannerpic.jpg]
Great detail and pic's!! I love when a bronco is saved!:beer:
Sounds like it'll be an interesting build. Can't wait
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
79 FS 351M, Trac loc HPD44, Detroit 9", 4.56's, 37 Toyo's, 17" Helo Maxx 6
Wow! That doesn't look so bad once it's cleaned up :xyxthumbs:
'95 Bronco -- 351W-435-205, D44 SAS, Cromos, Truetrac, E-Locker
It looks worse than it is really. Worst part is being so beat up. Every dent and scrape broke the sealer off and rusted. The front end looks like it sprayed with salt for 38 years, but the rest of the body is not bad, frame is excellent.

They welded the grille to the bumper using 3/8" bolts as braces. LOL

We are looking forward to it. We will have a blast

Broncomania keeps giving us tons of great ideas.
I've never seen one with a coolant reservoir like that. Most of the early models just had a bag on the inner fender. Then the '76-77's had a plastic one on top of the fender.
'72 TBA...
Here is a link to one of my favorite builds... http://rebelrockrunners.org/gallery/v/buildups/mike/
'72 TBA...
bucketobolts Wrote:Here is a link to one of my favorite builds... http://rebelrockrunners.org/gallery/v/buildups/mike/

Isn't his name Mike? I talked to him at Free4All last year and was really impressed with his rig also. I talked to him about my current build and he gave me a few tips/suggestions on some things he had learned the hard way and things he would do differently if he did it all over again. Super nice guy too - that looks like a wild crew that knows how to have a lot of fun :rebel:
'74 Grocery Getter, '73 Project Buggy, '77 Parts Rig

[Image: Bannerpic.jpg]
Nice:xyxthumbs:
68 Half cab
Great job rescuing the old bronco... How did you get the owner to sale it????????????????????????Confusedcratchhe: Man i know where several are seating and the owners are wanting them to rot to the ground:crying:... Congrats