Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Locking down the front
After this weekend I am convinced I need to lock my D44 (30sp 4.10) front end.

I have a Lock Right in my 9" rear that has never let me down so I am compelled to install one in the front too.

Any comments or suggestions?
'77 351w- Explorer EFI, 4R70W, 4-link, lockers, 4.56, 35" MT/Rs with a severe rock addiction.Confusedmokin:
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

[Image: sig2.jpg]
It realy depends on what kind of horsepower you have. I had one in the front of my eb, and blew it the first trip in the snow. If you put one in, be gental with the skinny pedal.
I would realy like to try the E locker. A posi when not locked, a spool when it is.
Its what I plan to put in mine some time next year.
Broncomatt
Quote:I would realy like to try the E locker. A posi when not locked, a spool when it is.
Broncomatt

Can't hide money:hysterical:

But seriously that is the best of both worlds. And when you look at it on paper it is about the same money as buying 2 diffs, say a Detroit and a Truetrac. I can see where one in the front and rear could be well worth the investment.

I ran a Detroit EZ Locker in my old D44. I never had a minutes worth of trouble out of it. Though I wouldn't say I went Komakaze every time I wheeled. But it was there when I needed it.
'72 TBA...
I highly recommend arb I love mine one of the best things I have put in my bronco.
68 Half cab
broncomatt Wrote:I would realy like to try the E locker. A posi when not locked, a spool when it is.
Broncomatt

bucketobolts Wrote:Can't hide money:hysterical:

But seriously that is the best of both worlds. And when you look at it on paper it is about the same money as buying 2 diffs, say a Detroit and a Truetrac. I can see where one in the front and rear could be well worth the investment.

I've got a rear e-locker, if that's the same thing. I'm really impressed with it!

When it's "off" it's an open diff, but when "on" then it's a spool. The Auburn ECTED is the selectable that goes from Posi to Spool. However the last time i looked into them, the ECTED is NOT rebuildable. Once the posi clutches wear out then you can't replace them. Which isn't all that bad considering that you can still have a locker with a button pushed, but it's not what you paid for any longer....

So uhh, long story short...I vote for E-Locker, too :biggthumpup:
'95 Bronco -- 351W-435-205, D44 SAS, Cromos, Truetrac, E-Locker
Money is an issue right now so ARB is automatically not a player though it would be nice.

I am running a stock 302HO EFI and a NP205.

I consider myself pretty conservative and I don't rhomp on it unless I am getting to the point of being screwed which wouldnt happen as much if I was locked up front.
'77 351w- Explorer EFI, 4R70W, 4-link, lockers, 4.56, 35" MT/Rs with a severe rock addiction.Confusedmokin:

chuzie if you lock the front you might be able to hang with me then!!! :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

We still need to get together and do some wheelin but right now my plate is full and I really need to repair some small things before they turn bad!!! :banghead:

I am getting my rear fixed in a couple weeks but not in time for URE but maybe we can do some wheelin this winter!!!:toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12:
Waiting to build or BUY another legend! :thefinger:
Always an EB fan, lover and freak :notworthy:

1985 Yoda 4Runner :xyxthumbs:
Money, what money. I havent even had gas money to drive my rig around the yard. :crying:
I consider the E-locker or electrac to be so close to the cost of a regular detroit locker that I would spend a little extra to get the ability to unlock the front end. Most times I dont need the locked front (one reason I still have the powerloc), but when I do I wish it were there. The one downfall of a locker is its much easyer to brake the shafts or ujoints. So when I do upgrade I will also have to get some chromo shafts and good joints.
I have a detroit in the rear, with 31 spline dutchman shafts. Its slightly wider than the stock axles. It powers me threw most things, but last time on kodak rock I was spinning the front tire in the air. So this could be the end of my powerloc( at least untill I rebuild it).
With things as bad as they are at the dealership it will be a while before I can do much, but that is realy all I have left I want to modify from where it is.
For your engine, and driving style, I would go with a lock right. They are an easy install, with no changes to the gears required. If you brake that, then you need something stronger. But that could be some time. Confusedupergrin:
Broncomatt
I think you are right. Frankly, I am not ready to invest in the cost of a detroit locker or something similar which will ultimately require additional drivetrain upgrades to support it.

I am going to start with the "lunchbox" locker and see what happens. If it breaks, well, lesson learned. Considering I am not an aggressive wheeler, I think it will serve its purpose.

Mike, I have a Detroit soft locker, 31 spline in back and a Gearless locker in front on 37" MTRs. Very capable trail rider. The lockers were the second OMG upgrade, after power disc brakes. Next time they wouldn't be power. The lunchbox locker will work fine for you if you don't wheel at 5K rpm all the time. It will stand up to 33 or 35" tires without a problem. I've been completly sold on mine. Not broken anything and still on stock front axles with a spare set under the hood. Hard to justify $600+ for anything else. Stock open carrier, $45, lucnchbox locker, $275. You can probably assemble it yourself. You will be absolutely amazed at the difference.

Nice to meet you,

Tim

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Locking Hubs?? Whats the best??? Broncitis 9 6,395 02-26-2017, 01:51 PM
Last Post: snipes243
  Front shock mounts snipes243 14 3,572 03-01-2015, 07:51 PM
Last Post: scbronco
  Front D44 Ring/Pinion and upgrades scbronco 17 2,542 12-31-2010, 10:07 PM
Last Post: scbronco
  Used front hub jdowns67 2 887 10-31-2010, 11:06 AM
Last Post: jdowns67
  Front Axle Olredneck 0 801 09-03-2009, 08:44 PM
Last Post: Olredneck
  Bronco Front Rear Question 2000F150SAS 8 1,536 05-28-2009, 02:22 AM
Last Post: supertoyota88
  1990 Bronco Front Locking Hub Question 2000F150SAS 16 5,212 05-21-2009, 04:29 PM
Last Post: 2000F150SAS
  1990 Front End Alignment Question 2000F150SAS 5 2,050 12-30-2008, 07:32 AM
Last Post: 2000F150SAS
  Front disk/Rear window tapiot 2 1,619 08-23-2008, 08:49 PM
Last Post: tapiot
  Front wheels jerk when in 4X4-any ideas? cwdanie 11 4,681 08-02-2008, 10:43 PM
Last Post: cwdanie