Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
mini buildup
Well after 2 months i finally got to work on my bronco. Over the the week I managed to install a 2'' body lift and new body mounts. Which turned out not to hard but still a pain:banghead:. Broncosbart and I have been talk about installing my body lift for a bit using his fancy car lift. But I had a free week so me and my dad decided to do it. Originally I was gonna use an engine hoist but after we removed all the interior and half cab top we figured out we just pick up the body by hand. The biggest problem came with the rear mounts apparently the frame under the original body mount rusted into almost a prefect circle:banghead:. We managed redneck a solution up with wood blocks so we could move the thing.
[Image: th_body_lift009.jpg]
[Image: th_body_lift010.jpg]
[Image: th_body_lift011.jpg]
Any advice on how to fix this, I read some stuff on classic about welding a washer over the hole, but not sure yet.
I also installed a new jb fab twin stick which is totally bad assConfusedupergrin:, and jb fab adjustable clutch rod. And NOS half cab bulkhead that I have had for years.
[Image: th_body_lift001.jpg]
[Image: th_body_lift004.jpg]
[Image: th_body_lift017.jpg]
I have 2 other small problems that haven't figured out yet since I have a late model power steering setup, I thought I had a telescoping steering column but for some reason mine only moves about a inch, so I think I need type of new lower steering shaft. The other problem is I couldn't get the stock 3pd linkage to adjust. Which puts me in a delima cause I don't want to get new rods for it since I almost got all the parts for a np435 conversion minus the 6cly intermediate housing. Any advise is help full.
[Image: th_body_lift014.jpg]
[Image: th_body_lift015.jpg]
The final pics
68 Half cab
The rust hole is common on old fords, even my crew cab had to have a peice welded in. You can use a washer, or cut a peice of flat steel cut to the right shape. Which ever way you go, be sure to realy clean it up after and treat the area with a rust converter.
Not sure on the body lift working with the stock lincage. Every one I worked on we had to exted the rods, and drop the colum and push it in toward the dash to get as much out of it as possible.
Hope to see you at the meet n greet.
Broncomatt
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
you're gonna have to cut and re-weld those shift levers. chances are you'll need a WH lower shaft or similar. welding washers to the frame is about the best way i can think of to fix it as well. looks good. it only took 2 of you to pick it up? that doesn't sound like fun...

oh, i just saw your album. saw a case of old dominion root beer. that is the stuff right there.
broncosbybart Wrote:you're gonna have to cut and re-weld those shift levers. chances are you'll need a WH lower shaft or similar. welding washers to the frame is about the best way i can think of to fix it as well. looks good. it only took 2 of you to pick it up? that doesn't sound like fun...

oh, i just saw your album. saw a case of old dominion root beer. that is the stuff right there.

To put on the lower steering shaft do you have to cut off the top of the rag joint? As for the shift levers Im leaning getting the last 2 parts for my np435 conversion and not messing with them.
Dominion root beer is the best, cant get it down since it is brewed locally at my house, but since I have a couple cases in my room, I bring some by this weekend.
68 Half cab
Finally got some work done. One weekend a month I guess. Most was just setup work for my np435 conversion. Managed to pull the transfercase, man was that a pain ended up using a ratchet strap to get it down. Then not make maters worse the previous owner buried the front in clay some how cause it was covered in inches of clay. I also managed to remove the rag yoke off the steering yoke after cutting and beating for 2 hours the thing finally left its home. Only problem the whole weekend was when we were pulling the transfer case the cross member get stuck so my dad hit or something and the thing landed in my ear, left a fairly nice cut. Lucky i say it and turned my head or i probably would be seeing out of one eyes. Fun weekend now its time to order some parts.
68 Half cab
nice lookin bronco.
East Coast Surplus & Tactical
336-674-3868
Thanks man
68 Half cab
Got to be careful man. I hate to smash fingers and toes. And really hate to bang my head.

Hope you have a good tranny jack to install the NP435. It is a heavy one. My father inlaw and I bench pressed mine in the first time. It really sucked. So the next time I pulled it I cut the entire top of the tunnel out. Stuck the cherry picker in through the passenger side door. Then used it to drop it down to a dolly with wheels. I just made a simple removable sheet metal cover to fill the hole.
'72 TBA...
bucketobolts Wrote:Got to be careful man. I hate to smash fingers and toes. And really hate to bang my head.

Hope you have a good tranny jack to install the NP435. It is a heavy one. My father inlaw and I bench pressed mine in the first time. It really sucked. So the next time I pulled it I cut the entire top of the tunnel out. Stuck the cherry picker in through the passenger side door. Then used it to drop it down to a dolly with wheels. I just made a simple removable sheet metal cover to fill the hole.

yeah I know what you mean between the bronco and race cars man Im always hurt my self:banghead::banghead::banghead:. Been thing about making an aces panel haven't really decided yet. Did you put the intermediate housing and the transfercase in at the same time?
68 Half cab
I put the intermediate housing on the transmission before I installed. That way once I had it bolted to the bell housing I could easily put in the cross member. Then the tranfercase just slid right on the output.
'72 TBA...