The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Carolina Broncos
Pertronix Ignition Problems. - Printable Version

+- Carolina Broncos (https://cb4x4.com)
+-- Forum: 66-96 Ford Broncos (https://cb4x4.com/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Bronco Tech (https://cb4x4.com/forum-40.html)
+--- Thread: Pertronix Ignition Problems. (/thread-1824.html)

Pages: 1 2

Pertronix Ignition Problems. - Mill Knob - 09-06-2009

I am having some problems with my Pertronix Ignition. I placed it in the distributor and hook up the wires to the coil and turn the Key and nothing.:crying:

There is a click coming from the Pertronix Ignition when I turn the key. I have no fire coming from the coil. I pull the plug wire out and layed it on the side of the top but no fire. So what to do?? I took and put the points back in and it started up but it was real rough. So why will it run with points but not with the Pertronix Ignition?

Does any body have ideas?

Pertronix Ignition Problems. - Timstrk - 09-06-2009

I put one in years ago and haven't had any problems. Is it grounded properly? Seems it was a simple install. Everything gapped correctly? I'm giving the obvious and probably not much help. Red wire goes to the + coil, black wire to the - coil and the ground wire inside the distributor gets hooked up under the screw that holds the pickup down. All I saw on mine. Had some stuff built up on the contact rotor that slides around the dist shaft. The rotor button thingy and then the dist cap goes on. Didn't change the wires from the cap? coil wire?

Tim

Timstrk Wrote:I put one in years ago and haven't had any problems. Is it grounded properly? Seems it was a simple install. Everything gapped correctly? I'm giving the obvious and probably not much help. Red wire goes to the + coil, black wire to the - coil and the ground wire inside the distributor gets hooked up under the screw that holds the pickup down. All I saw on mine. Had some stuff built up on the contact rotor that slides around the dist shaft. The rotor button thingy and then the dist cap goes on. Didn't change the wires from the cap? coil wire?

Tim

I don't know about the gaping on the Pertronix. I didn't get the little plastic air gapper. I think that is alot of my problem. But I had no fire on the coil? Plus the coil that I have is still the OEM.

Pertronix Ignition Problems. - SC74 - 09-06-2009

Coils can be contankerous - tap it with the handle of a screw driver or even take it out and replace it.

SC74 Wrote:Coils can be contankerous - tap it with the handle of a screw driver or even take it out and replace it.

I am thinking about replacing the coil. Which one should I get from the local part house?

Pertronix Ignition Problems. - berg bronco - 09-06-2009

Did I give you a lemon?

berg bronco Wrote:Did I give you a lemon?

I hope not?Confusedcratchhe: I really don't know. I will find out once I put a new coil on it. I plan I buy one tomorrow.

I wounder if a new OEM coil will work? Or do I need to get a hot one.

Pertronix Ignition Problems. - berg bronco - 09-07-2009

Mill Knob Wrote:I wounder if a new OEM coil will work? Or do I need to get a hot one.

Im not sure. I would think that a oem one would work.

Pertronix Ignition Problems. - 66stocker - 09-07-2009

X2 with Berg. I think an OEM coil will work.
Here's a couple pics of mine so you can see how it goes in.
Set the gap between the pickup ring and the black box at .030.