Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pertronix Ignition Problems.
I am having some problems with my Pertronix Ignition. I placed it in the distributor and hook up the wires to the coil and turn the Key and nothing.:crying:

There is a click coming from the Pertronix Ignition when I turn the key. I have no fire coming from the coil. I pull the plug wire out and layed it on the side of the top but no fire. So what to do?? I took and put the points back in and it started up but it was real rough. So why will it run with points but not with the Pertronix Ignition?

Does any body have ideas?
I put one in years ago and haven't had any problems. Is it grounded properly? Seems it was a simple install. Everything gapped correctly? I'm giving the obvious and probably not much help. Red wire goes to the + coil, black wire to the - coil and the ground wire inside the distributor gets hooked up under the screw that holds the pickup down. All I saw on mine. Had some stuff built up on the contact rotor that slides around the dist shaft. The rotor button thingy and then the dist cap goes on. Didn't change the wires from the cap? coil wire?

Tim
74 Bronco Ranger halfcab w/toys: lockers f&r, wristed arm, C4, D20, hyd assist steering, 37"MTRs, warm 302. Capability, that's what I'm talkin' bout.
[Image: 2rwp56f.png]
Timstrk Wrote:I put one in years ago and haven't had any problems. Is it grounded properly? Seems it was a simple install. Everything gapped correctly? I'm giving the obvious and probably not much help. Red wire goes to the + coil, black wire to the - coil and the ground wire inside the distributor gets hooked up under the screw that holds the pickup down. All I saw on mine. Had some stuff built up on the contact rotor that slides around the dist shaft. The rotor button thingy and then the dist cap goes on. Didn't change the wires from the cap? coil wire?

Tim

I don't know about the gaping on the Pertronix. I didn't get the little plastic air gapper. I think that is alot of my problem. But I had no fire on the coil? Plus the coil that I have is still the OEM.
Coils can be contankerous - tap it with the handle of a screw driver or even take it out and replace it.
'74 Grocery Getter, '73 Project Buggy, '77 Parts Rig

[Image: Bannerpic.jpg]
SC74 Wrote:Coils can be contankerous - tap it with the handle of a screw driver or even take it out and replace it.

I am thinking about replacing the coil. Which one should I get from the local part house?
Did I give you a lemon?
Life is short------drive your bronco everyday!
berg bronco Wrote:Did I give you a lemon?

I hope not?Confusedcratchhe: I really don't know. I will find out once I put a new coil on it. I plan I buy one tomorrow.
I wounder if a new OEM coil will work? Or do I need to get a hot one.
Mill Knob Wrote:I wounder if a new OEM coil will work? Or do I need to get a hot one.

Im not sure. I would think that a oem one would work.
Life is short------drive your bronco everyday!
X2 with Berg. I think an OEM coil will work.
Here's a couple pics of mine so you can see how it goes in.
Set the gap between the pickup ring and the black box at .030.

Attached Files Image(s)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Brake problems after the 5.0 swap. BucknEB 10 2,348 10-29-2012, 03:07 PM
Last Post: BucknEB
  Ford D.U.I. Ignition scbronco 14 7,766 09-06-2012, 06:03 PM
Last Post: SC74
  Soft Top problems!! jollygrngiant 10 2,750 11-22-2011, 12:49 PM
Last Post: BucknEB
  Ignition switch?? jollygrngiant 10 3,163 09-09-2011, 03:20 PM
Last Post: UTFLIWGYA
  90 Transmission Problems 2000F150SAS 1 1,006 06-21-2011, 10:53 AM
Last Post: 2000F150SAS
  Ignition missing and jumping tach jdowns67 5 2,063 03-23-2011, 01:02 PM
Last Post: jdowns67
  A good article about ignition timing jdowns67 0 2,168 10-17-2010, 08:52 PM
Last Post: jdowns67
  brake problems fordfan 4 1,846 09-11-2010, 11:45 PM
Last Post: Ricky B
  Pertronix Solid-State Electronic Ignition jrshepherd 6 5,206 11-08-2009, 11:26 PM
Last Post: jrshepherd
  Ignition Fuse Blown?? SC74 6 2,264 02-12-2009, 11:14 PM
Last Post: Mill Knob