The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Carolina Broncos
Please educate me on 3 speed trans RAT & RAN? - Printable Version

+- Carolina Broncos (https://cb4x4.com)
+-- Forum: 66-96 Ford Broncos (https://cb4x4.com/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Bronco Tech (https://cb4x4.com/forum-40.html)
+--- Thread: Please educate me on 3 speed trans RAT & RAN? (/thread-2586.html)

Pages: 1 2

Please educate me on 3 speed trans RAT & RAN? - Mill Knob - 01-09-2011

I know the differents in RAT & RAT 3 speed trans is their adapter housing.

My Bronco is in need of a new clutch and flywheel. I bought a 3 speed RAT trans a year ago that seems to be better then the 3 speed that is in my bronco now.

The tansmisson in my Bronco is not the original 3 speed, because the Original locked up on the PO and he just slap an old 3 speed transmisson in it and kept driving it. The 3 speed that is in my bronco now is a RAN. Would any body know what 3 speed trans was suppose to come in my 1969 Bronco?

One thing that I did notice was the RAN transin my bronco has a drain plug in the bottom and the RAT don't. :popc1:

Please educate me on 3 speed trans RAT & RAN? - blazinchuck - 01-09-2011

sorry George, but i have no experience with 3 speeds at all. they all been C4 or 4 speeds. good luck man,Chuck

Please educate me on 3 speed trans RAT & RAN? - jdowns67 - 01-09-2011

Pretty sure it's supposed to be a RAT that year. Mine's a 71 and its a RAT

Please educate me on 3 speed trans RAT & RAN? - Mill Knob - 01-09-2011

jdowns67 Wrote:Pretty sure it's supposed to be a RAT that year. Mine's a 71 and its a RAT

Found out by a Chart on the internet that my bronco has in it a 3 speed from a 1967-68 bronco that had 289. The 3 speed trans that I want to put in it can't find on the chart. So still looking.

Tks Jdown67 for the info. Question for you Jdown67 does your trans have a drain plug on the bottom? The Rat trans that I have does not. So how do you change the fluids in it?Confusedcratchhe:

Please educate me on 3 speed trans RAT & RAN? - scbronco - 01-09-2011

side load panel?

Please educate me on 3 speed trans RAT & RAN? - broncosbybart - 01-10-2011

I have a RAT (I think) here with a drain plug in it. I am getting ready to take it to the scrapper, unless you need it. It came from a 69. IIRC, the RAT has a lower first gear ratio than the later RAN. Not much lower, but just a little. Kinda like the ratio differences for low range between a T-shift and J-shift T-case.

Please educate me on 3 speed trans RAT & RAN? - jdowns67 - 01-10-2011

I'll look about the drain plug when I get home today Mill Knob. I just looked and on broncograveyard site it shows the RAN as having a case length of 9-3/8" and the RAT with a case length of 9-3/4". I never noticed this before.

Please educate me on 3 speed trans RAT & RAN? - Mill Knob - 01-10-2011

broncosbybart Wrote:I have a RAT (I think) here with a drain plug in it. I am getting ready to take it to the scrapper, unless you need it. It came from a 69. IIRC, the RAT has a lower first gear ratio than the later RAN. Not much lower, but just a little. Kinda like the ratio differences for low range between a T-shift and J-shift T-case.

I will take it off your hand... Pm me your number so I can talk to you about when I am coming down that way....

Thanks again.

jdowns67 Wrote:I'll look about the drain plug when I get home today Mill Knob. I just looked and on broncograveyard site it shows the RAN as having a case length of 9-3/8" and the RAT with a case length of 9-3/4". I never noticed this before.

The info is in the Toms cataloge. Let me know what ya find on that drain plug.

I know a guy that is restoring a 1969 ford bronco. So I call him up and went over and look at the trans and it has a RAT in it. So that means I am going to place a RAT trans in mine.