Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Talk to me about snorkels
I dono, I think under hard rain water may get sucked in. Most snorkels have a cover to help with that.
It should also dip lower than the carb so it can pool.
Here is the thing, its only as good as weakest link. Even if you keep the engin running, water still can get into tranny,or diff vents, electronics(especialy the dist). All of these things need to be vented. In baja we ran the intake filter between the seats, and plumed all other vents (diff, tranny, t-case) too the main filter. The distributer cap can be rtv'd down, but you still should run a vent hose for it.
On my eb I have a hood scoop(z28 cut to fit), the hood is cut above the carb. I made a base plate for the aircleaner that seals around the hood. All the air comes in from the back of the windshield. I also ran my other vents up to that base. For the distributer I put dielctric grease on the base of the cap and a distributer boot over it. It can breath as it needs, but water has a hard time gettting in.
My rule of thumb is if water goes up the hood more than half way I need to shut it down or be almost out.
Something else to think about is the fan. If you have a mechanical fan it will work like a propeller and suck the rad into the fan(completly deforming it).
A good radiator guard will help prevent that, and a good shroud will help keep the spray at a minimum. If you have electric fans be sure to have a kill switch.
Just my 2c.:rebel:
Broncomatt

Messages In This Thread
Talk to me about snorkels - by Ogeechee 4x4 - 09-15-2008, 09:54 PM
Talk to me about snorkels - by broncomatt - 09-17-2008, 03:27 PM
Talk to me about snorkels - by Ogeechee 4x4 - 09-17-2008, 05:52 PM
Talk to me about snorkels - by chuzie - 09-17-2008, 08:45 PM
Talk to me about snorkels - by Ogeechee 4x4 - 09-17-2008, 11:20 PM
Talk to me about snorkels - by Ogeechee 4x4 - 09-16-2008, 10:43 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Let's talk flywheel's shon 5 2,193 06-06-2011, 01:42 PM