Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Guy with a Q
Hi all Im new to this forum, but not new to forum's.
I have a question for the gurus here.
Im looking into buying a 93 fullsize bronco for 800 dollars (here comes the kicker)

The guy selling it says someone took it out for a test drive, and when they came back the transmission was puking out fluid from (what he says) where the transfer case and tranny mate.

Im actually going to look at it this weekend, but i was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on what to look for/expect as far as damage that may have been done as a result of this, or what would be involved to fix it (im assuming a new seal... but cant understand how it would be losing as much fluid as he says unless the seal isnt there anymore.)

after speaking with him again today, he says the truck "put itself into neutral"
after losing the fluid so he towed it back to the lot, and if he fills the tranny up, he can fire her up put her in gear and drive about 10 feet before she "puts itself into neutral".

Im no master tech, but i dont shy from turning wrenches.
I fully plan on buying this terd and fixing the problem, unless of course it would cost more to fix than im buying it for.

any suggestions?

:beer:
thanks for the help!
welcome to the site 1st off. I wish I had some suggestions for you...we have alot of great fullsize guys here, so I'm sure someone will jump in here for ya,Chuck
77 built 306,Trickflow Cam/Alum Heads/dome pistons/10:1comp,nv3550,duff long arms,3.5" lift,family cage,protofab rear bumper,twin sticked, and 35KM2'sG.D.I.
Buy a used tranny and drop it in there. That is the best easiest option.
If that tranny got hot, the rest of the problems will show up in a couple months.

If the seal is just out, the bushing is probably bad too, at that point you will need to tear it down all the way to fix it anyway.

Keep your eyes open the used ones pop up for around $300-$400. A rebuild is usually $1,200 minimum.
Welcome!

Most likely that Bronco will have the E4OD. They can get a little pricey during a rebuild. But I wouldn't let that scare you away for buying it, just use it for leverage:xyxthumbs:. A C6 would be an easy swap or so would a NP435. Ogeechee 4x4 just converted is FSB to the NP435.
'72 TBA...
thanks for the info guys!
I just rebuilt a t5 in the drive way this weekend (looong weekend)
my buddy was driving down from PA and lost his tranny outside of savannah GA.
on the way to drive him up there to pick up the truck... my rig blew up. hence why im looking to buy another beater.
got his tranny pulled (luckily it was just the input shaft) and rebuilt and put back in about 2 hrs. (over 2 days.. waiting for parts)
so for now im easy riding on the scoot lol.
do any of you guys happen to have a pic of where the Tcase and trans mate up?
thanks again!
this is the best that i have

[Image: img_0816.jpg]
'95 Bronco -- 351W-435-205, D44 SAS, Cromos, Truetrac, E-Locker
thanks! i should be able to tear her down and replace the seal (rtv) and have her buttoned back up in no time...
still worried about the trans being burnt up.. I'll update
thanks again fellas!
welcome to the group. unfortunetly there is more than rtv to the output shaft. It will need a true seal, and probably a bushing. I would still opt for the used tranny, and I still like the c6
the mating flange uses an actual seal?
if so cant cost that much... but thanks for the heads up.
The seal may actually be on the input to the transfer case. It is there to keep the tranny fluid in the tranny and the transfer case oil in the transfer case.

I had a Toyota many years ago that had that seal go bad. I hauled my 4 wheeler up I40 to Brown Mnt. ORV one weekend. It pumped all the tranny oil into the transfer case and killed my input and cluster gear. Though in my case I had no external leak.
'72 TBA...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Guy Trail Rig ????? UTFLIWGYA 8 1,536 08-23-2010, 08:18 PM
Last Post: firefighter2134
  new guy in town in need of some help chulo2004 17 3,051 05-20-2008, 04:46 PM
Last Post: JayT
  new guy black_nite 10 2,117 01-29-2008, 11:07 AM
Last Post: partsflyin