Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new guy in town in need of some help
hey whats going on fellas! i have a 91 bronco and think i might have a problem. i was doing my regular maintenance on her when i noticed that the steering shaft was moving while i had the misses turn the steering wheel. is this normal? or am i in a worl of s&*t. i've also noticed that while im driving, it feels like im driving drunk. i've checked the tre and drag links and they are good to go. it seems that my ball joints are worn out,but im not to sure.Confusedcratchhe: any help will be appreciated. :notworthy:

thanks,

jorge
Welcome to the site...

some of these guys know alot about FS so I'm sure they will help soon...

welocme again...please vote for our site off the main page...
Waiting to build or BUY another legend! :thefinger:
Always an EB fan, lover and freak :notworthy:

1985 Yoda 4Runner :xyxthumbs:
welcome to the forum. i'll let one of the fullsize guys help you with this.
in the mean time go here and introduce yourself to everyone:
http://www.cb4x4.com/upload/forumdisplay.php?f=61
East Coast Surplus & Tactical
336-674-3868
chulo2004 Wrote:i was doing my regular maintenance on her when i noticed that the steering shaft was moving while i had the misses turn the steering wheel.

Isn't the steering wheel supposed to turn the steering shaft? Confusedcratchhe:

chulo2004 Wrote:i've also noticed that while im driving, it feels like im driving drunk.

I wouldn't know what that's like, but perhaps you have play in your steering box? What do your radius arm bushings look like?

You said your balljoints were worn out, they'll cause some of that "wondering" feeling (I think...)
'95 Bronco -- 351W-435-205, D44 SAS, Cromos, Truetrac, E-Locker
is it supposed to turn when the ignition is off?
broncomania Wrote:welcome to the forum. i'll let one of the fullsize guys help you with this.
in the mean time go here and introduce yourself to everyone:
http://www.cb4x4.com/upload/forumdisplay.php?f=61
i sure will! i just need to upload some pics of my bronco. thanks for the help.
I guess there is supposed to be some sort of "steering wheel lock" on it when you take the key out, but overall I personally wouldn't worry about it.
'95 Bronco -- 351W-435-205, D44 SAS, Cromos, Truetrac, E-Locker
Ogeechee 4x4 Wrote:I guess there is supposed to be some sort of "steering wheel lock" on it when you take the key out, but overall I personally wouldn't worry about it.
thanks for the help man.
Ogeechee 4x4 Wrote:I guess there is supposed to be some sort of "steering wheel lock" on it when you take the key out, but overall I personally wouldn't worry about it.

I agree, and it definately isn't worth digging into the steering column to try and fix it, that is a pain. If you are set on getting it fixed, my recommendation is to just replace the whole column, a couple of bolts on the firewall, maybe a couple under the dash, connect the linkage to the tranny (if you have an automatic) and make sure it slides over the steering shaft and plug it in. If you decide to do it, two things, watch for the gear selector cable (skinny little white thing between the column and the dash, make sure you take that off before you yank on the column, it breaks easily and 2. make sure you get the inginition key for the column you get, it would suck to get that hooked up and then have no key to start it. You can replace the key cylinder, but again, it's kinda pain.

MoMo
chulo2004 Wrote:hey whats going on fellas! i have a 91 bronco and think i might have a problem. i was doing my regular maintenance on her when i noticed that the steering shaft was moving while i had the misses turn the steering wheel. is this normal? or am i in a worl of s&*t. i've also noticed that while im driving, it feels like im driving drunk. i've checked the tre and drag links and they are good to go. it seems that my ball joints are worn out,but im not to sure.Confusedcratchhe: any help will be appreciated. :notworthy:

thanks,

jorge

Have you worked on your front axle? Be sure to check all the lock nuts and bolts. You'd be surprised on how much a loose or tight nut would make.
Also, check all your bushings. I would replace any that looked badly cracked or weathered. I replaced all my bushings in the front at one time and that made a huge difference. I too had the same problem with the "wandering" or "play" in the steering wheel.
Or it may be none of this. It may be your steering box itself. Do you have a stock box or have you upgraded?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
79 FS 351M, Trac loc HPD44, Detroit 9", 4.56's, 37 Toyo's, 17" Helo Maxx 6

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Guy Trail Rig ????? UTFLIWGYA 8 1,535 08-23-2010, 08:18 PM
Last Post: firefighter2134
  New Guy with a Q CANTER6 13 6,214 10-02-2008, 06:21 PM
Last Post: CANTER6
  new guy black_nite 10 2,112 01-29-2008, 11:07 AM
Last Post: partsflyin