Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
casting codes
I have a 73 with a 302. I got the casting codes off the block c8ae-301-b
I believe that this does not match my truck. I think it is a galaxy motor. Can any one shine some light on meConfusedcratchhe:
That # does not sound just right. The first letter of the prefix is the decade of the casting, the second the year, the third letter is the body or group it was designed for, and the last letter the engineering group. "C8" came from a 1968 Casting, "A" is generic or Galaxy line, and "E" is from the engine/powertrain group. But the middle series of letters should be 4 digits. Engine blocks are all 6015. Closest I can get with your info would be C8AE-6015-??, the first gen 302 casting. In the '60's block an C?OE would have 5 bell housing bolts and C?AE would have 6.

This is the casting # on the outside of the block above the starter, not the numbers in the lifter valley. Should also have 302 cast in the valley.
'72 TBA...
were do I find the other casting numbers? The ones I gave were from over the starter. When you say valley were is that, you are talking to a novice not an expert so lamin terms please.
Those are the numbers you go by. You should have a first gen casting 302. The lifter galley should look like this:
[Image: C8OE-6015-A_21.jpg]

Above the block casting there will be a date casting. This one translates to "8" 1968, "L" November, "9" the ninth day.

[Image: C8OE-6015-A_26.jpg]

My original 302 in from my '72 is a D1OE-6015-AA casting. Nothing really special about it. This casting was used through '74 and some of the truck applications from '73-74 had a .020" taller deck.
'72 TBA...
[IMG]casting code[/IMG]
This is what my code looks like by the starter. As for the valley I do not have the motor apart. Is there any way to know if this is original to my truck without the other one? Thank you so much for walking me though all of this.
How the hell do you add a picture. any way mine says c8AE-601-B
A big #5 8B27
I'm going to say the 8B27 is the build date, 27th day of February 1968. Not saying it is not original. Ford used a lot of surplus/left over parts in the early Bronco's.

Try this http://www.cb4x4.com/upload/showthread.php?t=600
'72 TBA...
I still cannot find that manage botton to apply pics, I really appreciate your help and hope you had a good thanksgiving.
brewie212 Wrote:I still cannot find that manage botton to apply pics, I really appreciate your help and hope you had a good thanksgiving.
the manage attachments button applies only to full members...other wise you will have to copy/paste from a hosting site.
77 built 306,Trickflow Cam/Alum Heads/dome pistons/10:1comp,nv3550,duff long arms,3.5" lift,family cage,protofab rear bumper,twin sticked, and 35KM2'sG.D.I.
figured out how to post pics

Attached Files Image(s)