Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Diesel Problem
I have a 7.3 turbo diesel in a 2000 F-250, auto. 4X4 with 3.73 front & rear w/ limited slip. OK, here's the problem. In the mornings, 1st time I crank it, it will not take the fuel. It will shutter and ping and finally cut off. It will restart after turning the key to start pos. and just holding there with the throttle mashed wide open. It will finally smooth out after it reaches operating temp. It will idle smoothly from the beginning and if I plug in the block heater(over night) it will start and run just fine. I was told #8 injector was either bad or going bad but I haven't had it checked out yet. Any ideas?? :xyxthumbs:
Psalms 27:1
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
glow plugs or relay?
Eric. :rebel:
Call Henry at Motion Automotive 803-649-0090 and see if he can give you any ideas. Glow plugs sounds like a logical start. Cheap, too. Whole set for around $70.

Tim
might get mine back today.
74 Bronco Ranger halfcab w/toys: lockers f&r, wristed arm, C4, D20, hyd assist steering, 37"MTRs, warm 302. Capability, that's what I'm talkin' bout.
[Image: 2rwp56f.png]
I have a 2002 7.3 F350.

Mine started doing that one winter. I thought the same thing,
glow plugs. Then after a week or so it started shutting off going down the road and was hard to restart.
Turns out it was the Cam position sensor going bad. Ford had a recall on the sensors.
I replaced it and I have not had any trouble since. It was $30 and took 15 minutes to change out.
Since there are known issues with these sensors it might be a good place to start.
66stocker Wrote:I have a 2002 7.3 F350.

Mine started doing that one winter. I thought the same thing,
glow plugs. Then after a week or so it started shutting off going down the road and was hard to restart.
Turns out it was the Cam position sensor going bad. Ford had a recall on the sensors.
I replaced it and I have not had any trouble since. It was $30 and took 15 minutes to change out.
Since there are known issues with these sensors it might be a good place to start.

I've been through half a dozen cam shaft position sensors in my 02 7.3L. In fact, I keep one in the glove box now for spare when I need it. Mine has never had those symptoms though .. mine always would shut off while driving or start stuttering and eventually would just not start at all.
'74 Grocery Getter, '73 Project Buggy, '77 Parts Rig

[Image: Bannerpic.jpg]
Had the dealer replace that under the recall in Nov.. I kind of think what Eric said was right, glow plugs. As soon as I locate a good diesel mechanic,I'll let you guys know what it was. :xyxthumbs:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
If your up toward Salisbury stop by and we can check it out.
'72 TBA...
I appreciate it Aaron but I'm not coming that way any time soon and I plan on driving it to the beach in a couple of weeks. I'm trying to find some one in the Kings Mountain area. Thanks anyway!! :xyxthumbs:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OK, sports fans! it has been fixed and you're not going to believe what the problem was. I own Fords so I never check my oil levels, I change the oil in the F-250 every 5000 miles and I never worry about it. I talked to a heavy duty truck mechanic at the local Ford store and he asked me if I had checked my oil level in the powerstroke. That got me to thinking and realized I had skipped the last 2 oil changes.
I ran outside and checked my oil, it was low!! It was 6 qts. low to be exact. I filled it up with Shell Rotella-t and it now runs like the old F-250 I love. yep, it was the oil level that was causing all the problems. All I can say is I bet I change my oil on time and I bet I check it often. :xyxthumbs:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
trkbilder Wrote:OK, sports fans! it has been fixed and you're not going to believe what the problem was. I own Fords so I never check my oil levels, I change the oil in the F-250 every 5000 miles and I never worry about it. I talked to a heavy duty truck mechanic at the local Ford store and he asked me if I had checked my oil level in the powerstroke. That got me to thinking and realized I had skipped the last 2 oil changes.
I ran outside and checked my oil, it was low!! It was 6 qts. low to be exact. I filled it up with Shell Rotella-t and it now runs like the old F-250 I love. yep, it was the oil level that was causing all the problems. All I can say is I bet I change my oil on time and I bet I check it often. :xyxthumbs:
wow !!!!!!! glad you got it fixed. thats news to me. glad you learned me something. thanks.
East Coast Surplus & Tactical
336-674-3868

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Diesel enthusiasts? shawnboymoody 38 6,996 03-19-2011, 05:40 PM
Last Post: BucknEB
  problem solved,,,,, sparkchaser 7 4,187 02-15-2011, 06:17 PM
Last Post: sparkchaser
  Wiring Problem with towing 2000F150SAS 7 1,834 01-25-2010, 02:38 PM
Last Post: blazinchuck
  the diesel bug Badass 3 1,313 07-22-2009, 09:04 AM
Last Post: johnpaulgolf