Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wiring Problem with towing
Got the Flat Tow Answers I needed now I have a lighting problem.

I have a standard 4 pin plug from the factory on my 2000 F150.
White=ground
Brown=running lights
Yellow= drivers side blinker/stop
Green=passenger blinker/stop

I bought a magnetic light set for towing and when I put the light on the back and plugged in the connection this is what I get. I just towed a uhaul trailer last month and everything worked fine.

Running lights are bright
Blinker and stop lights are dimmer
When running lights are on I have NO blinker or stop lights

The light brightness should be reverse, bright for blinker/stop and dimmer for running.

HELP!!Confusedcratchhe:Confusedcratchhe:Confusedcratchhe:

THIS SHOULD BE VERY SIMPLE!!! But have been banging my head on the wall.

Thanks, John
im guessing there isnt some kind of ground issue? is it possible the manuf. have the bulbs in wrong...i know sometimes they be installed backwards...just a thought
77 built 306,Trickflow Cam/Alum Heads/dome pistons/10:1comp,nv3550,duff long arms,3.5" lift,family cage,protofab rear bumper,twin sticked, and 35KM2'sG.D.I.
It's worth a try at this point.
Have you checked the factory (female) tow plug on the truck for appropriate voltage as you turn on the lights, blinkers, brakes, etc? If this is ok, then I would think the problem lies in the male plug of the magnetic light set. Have you used the magnetic light set before with success? Or has it set outside to the point that there is debris or rust in the plug? Are the wires in the male plug wired incorrectly? What about bad grounds. It seems like everytime I have an electrical issue with a situation where I am saying to myself, "this worked fine last month, why won't it work now" it tends to be a bad ground.
Time, Money & Effort
Laurens County, SC
I have tried everything, this is a new light set since i could not get the towed truck lights working right. At first i was thinking ground when i had it wired direct to the tow truck but the mag lights only use the white wire for ground. The voltage output is the only thing i did not check, do you know what this is suppost to be?
I would check for continuity to ground on the truck side of the connector. The white wire for magnetic lights is not used on most trailer systems. Some sytems use the white for reverse lights. Since some lights are brighter and that none will flash I definetly seems to be a ground problem.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I agree and the white is connected to the trucks frame. I tested all the connectors on the truck and they seem to work correctly. I going crazy.
any up dates?
i ran into issues a while back(last nov trip) kept blowing fuses,light bulbs,etc. turned out to be the old brake controller, swapped in a new one...after completely re-wiring the trailer...everything is working right now...but what a biotch!
77 built 306,Trickflow Cam/Alum Heads/dome pistons/10:1comp,nv3550,duff long arms,3.5" lift,family cage,protofab rear bumper,twin sticked, and 35KM2'sG.D.I.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  problem solved,,,,, sparkchaser 7 4,186 02-15-2011, 06:17 PM
Last Post: sparkchaser
  Diesel Problem trkbilder 16 2,679 06-11-2009, 09:46 PM
Last Post: Timstrk
  Electric Motor Wiring chuzie 12 3,155 06-14-2008, 11:03 PM
Last Post: johnpaulgolf
  Towing Advice 73Bronc 5 1,285 03-13-2008, 04:08 AM
Last Post: 73Bronc