Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fiberglass preferences?
I am going to build a full shroud for the two 10" electric fans I mounted on the front side of my Ron Davis Radiator for my '77. I did not mount the fans in direct contact with the radiator since it is aluminum so I need a shroud to make the fans effective.

Does anyone have any suggestions on type/ brands of fiberglass I should use? Is there a certain type of foam I should use for molding?

I have to do this for considerably less than the $90 RD wants to charge for their shroud.

Thanks,
Mike
'77 351w- Explorer EFI, 4R70W, 4-link, lockers, 4.56, 35" MT/Rs with a severe rock addiction.Confusedmokin:
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

[Image: sig2.jpg]
I'd use the green floral foam blocks. You can buy them at WalMart or craft stores. This foam is easy to sand and shape. You can glue several blocks together to make larger pieces.
'72 TBA...
Don't forget cardboard and wax paper. They work good as backing as well. I usually got mine at a boat store by the gallon.
Thx guys!
'77 351w- Explorer EFI, 4R70W, 4-link, lockers, 4.56, 35" MT/Rs with a severe rock addiction.Confusedmokin:

So after i bought all this stuff I was at about $50.00 in materials. The floral blocks are way more expensive than I had thought. It's foam for pete's sake give me a break people. Anyway, I am thinking about finding an alternative solution besides fiberglass to create a shroud. Heck, I have most of it in place by virture of the radiator support since the two fans are nestled between the support and the grille. Thanks for the info though and i will let you know how it turns out.

I prefer to use sheet metal or aluminum. I one with offset for a body lift out of aluminum for a stock flex fan. Though now I don't have access to a shear, brake, or TIG machine anymore.
'72 TBA...
Fields on CrossCounty road usually has sheet metal drops for cheap. Pretty good people to deal with.
Here is what I made. I would be easier to build one for electric fans since you wouldn't have to have the the ring around the blade.

Attached Files Image(s)

'72 TBA...
I will check them out thx. Bucket... you built that? Looks great! Want to make another?

Check this out on Classic

http://classicbroncos.com/tech/liberty-e...rly-bronco

Looks like a super sweet setup and is exactly what I plan on using for my Ron Davis setup.

Just thought I would share.

Pretty pissed I did not find this 2 weeks ago when I jammed two 10" fans into the grille.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fiberglass Dr Insert Question 744x4 5 1,421 08-10-2011, 01:24 PM
Last Post: dixieboyz13