Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
87 emissions control removal.
I am trying to sort out the rats nest that's on top of the engine in my 87. First off, it is a 351w and it has a carb instead of fuel injection. There seem to be vacuum hoses running every where. How much of this stuff can I remove without hurting the way it runs? A lot of the lines are cracked and broken, some are capped off and others seem to be running back to their self. I sure would like to meet the genius that came up with all this mess so I could ask him about it.

I live in the Fuquay Varina area if there is anyone close that could stop by and give me a hand.

Later, Gavin.
Alot of the hoses may not be needed.Since it is an87, all you should need is a saftey inspection, even though they say you should never remove smog equip.:thefinger:
Stupid hurts when it catches up, and it WILL catch up!

[SIZE="4"]Founding member of the "cheap bastards 4x4 gang''[/SIZE]
[Image: Outalne_017.gif]
Hey Gavin... I'm no expert, but I've got no problem coming out your way (I live right off 40/42)... We can bang our heads and try to figure it out... Or bring it out to my buddies shop and I know we'll knock it out... Vaughn (vern69 here) has a very Bronco friendly shop... Ronnie (sparkchaser) will back me up on that. Hell, I'll tow it here, if need be.
Cool deal. Where's the shop at? What I am really doing is getting ready to pull the motor. It needs a rear main seal and an oil pump. I am just trying to get rid of some of the useless stuff in the process. I have got a lot of the hoses and such out, but there are a couple of other items I am not sure about. I will PM you my phone number JT and Sparkchaser, give me a call when you get the chance. I am off the rest of the week and hope to have some of it done before I go back to work.

Later, Gavin.
it's just a few miles from 40/42... I'll give ya a call later today. I don't know if I can get to your play until late tomorrow afternoon or Sat. morning though. I hope that'll work for ya. Are you trying to get the seal and oil pump done by sunday night?
Would like to get as much of it done as possible. I don't have to go back to work until Tuesday. So that would give me Monday as well. If I don't get everything done, I can finish it up in the afternoons after work next week. I am looking for a Cherry Picker and engine stand so I can pull it here, that way if I need to work on it some next week I can.
I've got both of those... need me to bring them, or you wanna pick them up, so that you can have them sooner?
I could pick them up from you if you would be willing to let me borrow/rent them? I really only need them for this project, so would rather borrow/rent them if possible.
Not a problem at all... cherry picker is the folding kind, so it'll fit in a pickup bed easily. gimmie a call when you're headed this way... 919.79five.four2four7

I'm about 3 miles south of 42 on hwy 50... I'll give you better directions, and address when you call...

JayT
Here's the thing, according to NC state regs your not supposed to remove anything for emissions from the truck. You can be failed if something is not there (example: charcole canister), and yes I do mean fail saftey. You dont have to pass any smog test, but your still reqired to have all the equipment. Even if it doesnt work, just has to be there.
The best suggestion I could make would be to buy an aftermarket intake with egr since your truck came with one. Put a 4bbl carb on it, plumb up as much of vacume as is needed. That would meet the regs for the dmv.
yes, i'm a state inspector.
broncomatt
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Windshield removal nitro 5 3,785 01-16-2011, 02:06 AM
Last Post: nitro
  Oil Pan removal on an 87? cavscout 2 942 04-20-2009, 09:52 PM
Last Post: cavscout