Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cronic leak in the right rear axle
I've about reached my breaking point :banghead: I continue to struggle with a grease leak in my right rear axle. I took the axle out and replaced the hard rubber seal that sits just a few inches inside the housing. I also had a new bearing and seal pressed onto it. Other that a few worn spots on the axle, it all looked square and tight, but after a few weeks the dreaded grease marks appeared on the inside of my right rear tire. My latest hunch is around a vent tube on the top of the axle. I was told that if this tube get clogged, pressure can build and the grease will seek the path of least resistance, possibly the worn spots on this axle? Any thoughts and ideas? Thanks in advance! :xyxthumbs:

I love my new flip video device, so I took a quick clip as well:

[Image: Presentation1.jpg]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I have two thoughts.... One, would be the "axle saver" bearing, which is really just a band aid - pushing the seal further down the axle... The vent tube sounds logical, but I have zero experience with this, so I'll let the gurus weigh in... The other thought (completely unrelated) is what Flip camera are you using? I'm trying to convince Jill on how awesome the Flip UltraHD is but not being very successful. Wink
With Jay T on not being a rear end gurus. So the first thing I would check it the vent tube. It that puppy is stoped up then the axle will push grease out all over the place. If you change the axle seals then, I would trow that rear end away and start all over again.ConfusedupergrinSadJust Joking) Good luck and keep use updated on your grease promblem.
With Jay T on not being a rear end guru. So the first thing I would check it the vent tube. It that puppy is stoped up then the axle will push grease out all over the place. If you change the axle seals then, I would trow that rear end away and start all over again.ConfusedupergrinSadJust Joking) Good luck and keep use updated on your grease promblem.
The vent tube fitting can rust shut, causing pressure in the axle to build. Even a new seal will leak if there us enough pressure. Unthread the fitting( use a deep well socket to unscrew it from the axle). Then use a drill bit to clean out the fittting. Also try to blow out the hose with compressed air to make sure no bugs or dirt are obstructing.
You would have to have some realy bad spots on the axle shaft for the seals to leak that bad. Try fixing the vent tube fitting first.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JayT Wrote:I have two thoughts.... One, would be the "axle saver" bearing, which is really just a band aid - pushing the seal further down the axle... The vent tube sounds logical, but I have zero experience with this, so I'll let the gurus weigh in... The other thought (completely unrelated) is what Flip camera are you using? I'm trying to convince Jill on how awesome the Flip UltraHD is but not being very successful. Wink

I bought the UtlraHD and it rocks! Super easy to use with great performance. BTW, can we embed YouTube video's directly into the forum or is there a restriction in place?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
broncomatt Wrote:The vent tube fitting can rust shut, causing pressure in the axle to build. Even a new seal will leak if there us enough pressure. Unthread the fitting( use a deep well socket to unscrew it from the axle). Then use a drill bit to clean out the fittting. Also try to blow out the hose with compressed air to make sure no bugs or dirt are obstructing.
You would have to have some realy bad spots on the axle shaft for the seals to leak that bad. Try fixing the vent tube fitting first.

Can I blow out the hose without removing it? It's connected up in a hard to reach spot. I assume the hose just runs to an opening somewhere up there but I can't see the other end well.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
it only holds the brake line on the axle and has a rubber hose on it to keep water from entering it.Remove it with a 9/16 socket and put it in a vice and run a .31 bit down the center of the vent bolt and clean out all the shavings and reinstall.Exery axle leak I have had has been caused by a plugged axle vent as it allows it to build pressure when driving.
74 Sport Howell EFI & 33's sitting in the yard
73 104 in EB Buggy 5.0 SEFI ,C-4,38's Busy as Hell Building it right now.
00 Honda XR 650R For Sale.Someone buy this bad assed Bike ASAP.
03 Honda Shadow Spirit
Thanks for the replies everyone. I drilled through the clogged vent bolt. Now I just need to clean the grease off of the brakes, drum, etc and tighten everything back up. Oh, and run some air through the vent tube as well.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
73Bronc Wrote:I bought the UtlraHD and it rocks! Super easy to use with great performance. BTW, can we embed YouTube video's directly into the forum or is there a restriction in place?

Sweet... I'll let you know if this helps me with the sale... :popc1:

I need to create a new code for youtube embeding... (like the IMG tag)... I'll try that now... gimmie a few mins.

JayT

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rear shock Mounts snipes243 4 1,045 01-23-2015, 03:45 PM
Last Post: snipes243
  DIY rear plate bumper blazinchuck 11 3,398 02-15-2012, 05:51 PM
Last Post: Crawdad
  Rear Springs cam coffee 9 1,387 07-14-2011, 10:19 AM
Last Post: blazinchuck
  Front axle krazybronco 1 768 02-20-2011, 11:44 PM
Last Post: broncosbybart
  gears front and rear bone collector 8 2,876 07-31-2009, 08:07 PM
Last Post: chuzie
  Doubler/axle moved forward Questions blazinchuck 11 3,036 04-30-2009, 08:32 PM
Last Post: bucketobolts
  front axle vent KMIBronco 7 2,423 08-31-2008, 12:37 PM
Last Post: Timstrk
  Dual Rear Shock Setup...? BroncJr 1 992 01-16-2008, 07:55 AM
Last Post: JunKeBluB2