Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Got a question for you fullsize folk!
So I've been on and off this site for a while now, I'm really not as active as I should be, but hopefully some of you will remember me!

Got a question for ya'll. As of now, I've got a couple of Bronco II's. A 90 and an 89. I know a lot about RBV's and a decent amount about the bigger Bronc's, but I need some more info!

A friend of a friend has a 78 Bronco that he wants rid of. Its got a (new?) 351 (what that means I'm not yet sure), 35's, don't know how much lift but it doesn't look to have been trimmed much and it clears the tires. Tires look pretty worn, I'm just guessing by the pics that they have 10-20% life left in em. Flat black paint, surface rust on the hood, floorboards are rusted through a little in the front, but otherwise its supposed to be pretty free from major rust. Tranny was toast, and tranny is currently out, but being replaced with a new (again, its all relative) one by my friend and his buddy. It also has a new sound system of some sort in it, and the floors are getting patched at least to some degree as we speak. Oh and it has a 10,000lb winch on the front. (brand?)

Overall, its pretty ugly, but I want a fullsize BAD, as well as something I can beat on the trails. It has to be streetable though, as I have no tow rig and there's no way I could afford one. (Broke azz college student!:biggthumpupSmile This seems like it would fit the bill. I've only seen one picture of it, and it had no doors on it + the top was missing, but all of that comes with it.

So the first question I have to ask is: What else should I be looking out for? I know to check the floors, tailgate, fenders, etc for rust, any other spots? Anything mechanical I should take special note of? Again, I'm no expert on the Fullsize Broncos, and I know even less about this generation specifically, besides the fact that they were only made for two years. I want to know what I need to look out for before I go see it in the flesh.

The last question, and the one you've all been dreading: What should I pay for something like this? Ballpark? I know my description isn't great, but at what point can I not go wrong with it?

Thanks for any/all help guys! Smile
1990 Bronco II Eddie Bauer Edition, 1989 Bronco II XLT, But what to do to them???? :rubeyes:
35s will fit the 78-79 Broncos and trucks without lift, just a little fender rub, but sounds like he trimmed to get rid of that. Check that the back window goes up and down, these are only power windows. The key switch in the tailgate moves the window as well as a switch next to the heater/ac controls. The doors fenders and hood fit from a 73-79 truck, the grills are different on the 73-76 but will fit. Except for the drive shaft, rear quarter panels, top, tailgate, and a few other parts these share the 78-79 Truck parts, they are plentiful. Lock in the hubs, and shove the transfer case shifter all the way forward and make sure the 4wd works. These can range in price from 1000 to 2500 in the condition you are talking about. Had a friend sold his in very good shape for over 6k last year.
Check the bottom of the tailgate for rust, these can be hard to find and the replacements need 'tweaking' to fix right.
Hope this helps, feel free to ask questions, good luck.
Joseph I.T. Guy! "Weeehooo, uh oh!"
josephitguy Wrote:35s will fit the 78-79 Broncos and trucks without lift, just a little fender rub, but sounds like he trimmed to get rid of that. Check that the back window goes up and down, these are only power windows. The key switch in the tailgate moves the window as well as a switch next to the heater/ac controls. The doors fenders and hood fit from a 73-79 truck, the grills are different on the 73-76 but will fit. Except for the drive shaft, rear quarter panels, top, tailgate, and a few other parts these share the 78-79 Truck parts, they are plentiful. Lock in the hubs, and shove the transfer case shifter all the way forward and make sure the 4wd works. These can range in price from 1000 to 2500 in the condition you are talking about. Had a friend sold his in very good shape for over 6k last year.
Check the bottom of the tailgate for rust, these can be hard to find and the replacements need 'tweaking' to fix right.
Hope this helps, feel free to ask questions, good luck.

Thanks a lot!!! :beer:

Thats exactly the kinda stuff I was looking to know!

Sounds like one of the biggest things I should be concerned about then is the tailgate and the top. I'm guessing that only the top from another 78-79 Bronco will fit this thing? Also, is there usually a reason that the rear window stops working? Motor goes bad, switch, wiring, anything specific? That really doesn't faze me as long as I can get parts for it! Driveshafts also shouldn't be that big of a deal, because I can always go to someone like 'Toms Custom Driveshafts' and get him to make me one correct?

Thanks again for the help, I appreciate it!
1990 Bronco II Eddie Bauer Edition, 1989 Bronco II XLT, But what to do to them???? :rubeyes:
Just another thing to give the once over would be the rubber bushings in the front end , not a expensive repair but one that usualy needs attention . Good luck with it , 78 is the best year and well worth the time .
...ya hes compensating for something .

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Quick Transmission Fluid Question 2000F150SAS 1 1,027 08-06-2011, 03:49 PM
Last Post: jrshepherd
  79 Bronco Radius Arm Question 2000F150SAS 4 1,308 08-17-2009, 06:40 AM
Last Post: 2000F150SAS
  D44 question john90 2 1,431 08-12-2009, 09:42 AM
Last Post: bucketobolts
  have a question all help needed stangman 3 1,465 03-15-2009, 07:09 PM
Last Post: Wrenchbender
  question Broncin2 2 1,132 04-28-2008, 12:28 PM