Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New guy, 1st time Bronc
Hello all - my name is Hank.

I've read every dang post on this forum, and I've gotta say: you guys are great. I didn't know there was such a healthy support scene here in NC. Excited to join and say hi.

Just got my first Bronco:

302 rebuilt 3k ago
Holly 4bbl
Edelbrock intake
MSD ignition etc.
Original tranny (C4?), auto 3 on the tree

Skyjacker 5" susp.
3" body
35x14.50 TSL Thornbirds w/9k mis

New paint, all rust removed, clean body work

Stock gauges, wiring, etc. and functional
White bedliner sprayed
Carpet
Bucket seats in the back

The guy I bought it from didn't keep any records of work done, so I'm probably going to be discovering about it as I go. So far, so good.

See pics below.

I'm dying to talk to some folks on here to help me get smart, fast. Still has drum brakes, original tranny, etc. Runs great. There are definitely some things I want to do, though...

[Image: 5195899043_eb60f3a0e6.jpg]

[Image: 5195899437_58bf597350.jpg]

[Image: 5196500168_8de07b29c1.jpg]

[Image: 5195899653_3b229c66dc.jpg]

[Image: 5195900019_1505096298.jpg]
heck yeah!!!! welcome aboard!!!!! sweet bronco, thanks for joining,Chuck
77 built 306,Trickflow Cam/Alum Heads/dome pistons/10:1comp,nv3550,duff long arms,3.5" lift,family cage,protofab rear bumper,twin sticked, and 35KM2'sG.D.I.
Hank, welcome to the insanity. That's a great looking 1st Bronco you've got there. You are right about this being a great support group here at CB4x4. There is a wealth of wisdom and knowledge here waiting to be shared, so just ask and ye shall receive. By the way, we do love us some pics, so keep'em coming as you make those planned modifications............................
:rockon: EARLY BRONCOS ROCK :rockon:
Mike Edwards....74 Bronco ($ Money Pit $)
welcome to the site!
Life is short------drive your bronco everyday!
glad you found us......nice ride
'73 EB
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Thanks, guys.

I can tell you right off the bat I've got 3 main goals:

1) Transmission.
I'd love to make this my daily driver (after all, they're here to be driven). But I drive 60mi a day roundtrip, at 70mph on the interstate. I'd also need to be able to tow a 3000lb boat with it. Not sure if the C4 is the best setup for that (if C4 is even what i have in there). Ive seen so many transmission options, I'm hoping there's a tranny/Tcase combo out there that will let me do these two things. Trail riding is not a priority.

2) Brakes. Need power discs. I have to stand on the pedal with these drum brakes.

3) Suspension/tires. Hoping not to get crucified by the group, but I want to take the truck down a bit. Maybe take the 3" body lift off and go down to 33" or 35" that are more street-suited. I suppose the good news is that I have lift & 14.50 Thornbirds to trade...

If any of these aspirations are unrealistic, let me know. I'm making this up as I go - but it seems like there are a bunch of magicians in this group who can figure out how to make anything happen...
thats not a bad list. i support removing the 3" body lift...however a 2' BL comes in handy when needing a little room between the body and frame...but its not necessary. as for the brakes...and chevy conversion is pretty simple...or even swapping stuff off a 78-79 bronco or truck. I ran disc/drum set up for a while with a manual f250 master cylinder...worked great!

as for tires...you never mentioned what ratio the gears are in the axles. if they are stock(3.50) then you will want to keep the C4. if you put a stick shift in, you will need to regear...the torque converter in the auto is helping you out alot already. I had a C4 and 35" tires, then switched to a manual...it was way worst. for tires...look to getting a narrower tire...10.5-12.5 wide....thornbirds have to be about the worst for street other than some ground hawgs lol
77 built 306,Trickflow Cam/Alum Heads/dome pistons/10:1comp,nv3550,duff long arms,3.5" lift,family cage,protofab rear bumper,twin sticked, and 35KM2'sG.D.I.
Welcome aboard. Glad you decided to take the plunge. To address a few of your thoughts:

A short wheelbase bronco is not ideal for towing. Not to say that it can't be done, but if you already have a daily driver pickup or SUV, it might be best.

I had a Bronco similar to yours a while back. You are thinking correctly. I can just imagine how it drives right now. My advice (take it for what it is worth- it is free), is to get a nice set of 33" BFG AT's (not mud terrains), a 3.5" lift, and a 1" body lift. Nick makes a nice aluminum body lift. Any of the major vendors all carry suspension kits. Go with the 11 pack rear springs (not add-a-leafs), new coils, and nice shocks. Done correctly, your Bronco can be driven comfortably once again. You can off your old parts on ebay. You can also go to a bone yard and get disc parts off of a full size Bronco. Much cheaper than the new disc kits. Wouldn't be a bad idea to do ball joints and the like while you are doing it. Always use new calipers, brake lines, and proportioning valve.

One other thing to consider is your track bar setup. It should be parallel to the drag link (the steering link going from the steering box to your tie rod). This is the main problem area for most front ends.

For the trans, while an overdrive trans would be awesome, they can be VERY expensive. It is not a very easy retrofit. If you must get one, you can either go automatic with an AOD or use a 3550 5spd, if wanting a manual. Either way, you have to get the trans, get the adapters, usually change drive shaft lengths, fab up a crossmember, and other misc. things.

I hope I didn't sound too negative. You have a nice looking truck. It can be made to drive as well as it looks.
Thanks, Bart & Chuck.

Re: the suspension work, I figured the 5" Skyjacker kit already on it would have all of the necessary pieces. Duly noted. And I totally agree - 33x12.50 BFG AT's would be perfect. Think anyone out there would be willing to trade...? Maybe I'll make a post.

Re: brakes, I'm hearing 3 possible fixes -

- Ford parts from a newer (post-77) bronco, F-150, etc.
- Chevy conversion (what, from a Blazer?)
- Kit from a catalogue (expensive)

So if I pull the entire brake system off a 79 or 80 Bronc, I'll be able to convert and squeeze them onto mine? Sounds like the most logical try...

Re: transmission, I'll have to check my gear ratios. I'd only be pulling the boat 3 miles or so at a time, but twice a week every week. Bart - though expensive, what is the story on an AOD tranny? Something from an Explorer or newer F150?

See - I told you I was a newbie. Confusedcratchhe:
I owned a 70' model that had the 5" skyjacker lift. It was awful. The only thing I kept was the adjustable track bar... You are probably best served by starting over on it.

There is a thread that I can send you for a set of BFG A/T's in the RDU area. Just went up on another site yesterday. I think he wanted 4 or 500 for the set, with about 90% tread, if you are interested.

You shouldn't have too much of an issue towing that short of a distance, assuming it is all slower speeds and reasonable roads. Sounds like you are gonna wear that trailer outSmile

My big Bronco experience is limited, but I do know that anything 76-79 would have disc brakes, but they would NOT bolt up to your knuckles. You could take the whole knuckle and everything and make it work, but the steering linkage would need to be replaced on your truck (tie rod length would need to be longer).

I did have a 92 OJ wagon a few years back and from what I remember, the spindles, backing plates and the like were the small 6 bolt pattern like what would be on your knuckle. They are plentiful in junk yards. Anyone else who has info can chime in.

As far as the AOD is concerned, I do know some of them were electronically controlled. You would not want one of those. I do not know which years were not, but they would probably be mid to late 80's. The full size Broncos had C-6's in them. You would likely need a car trans and convert it. Advance Adapters can steer you in the right direction.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Berg Build - New Guy here tcb3078 27 5,818 11-13-2018, 06:45 AM
Last Post: NicholasMo
  It was the first time. . . nhopman 10 2,635 03-15-2016, 12:12 AM
Last Post: snipes243
  Well it is time to build one from scratch... shon 4 2,395 05-25-2015, 04:28 PM
Last Post: Crawdad
  Your First Bronc Phoneman 3 840 05-23-2014, 02:23 PM
Last Post: blazinchuck
  New guy here (Hickory, NC) jdcascio 8 4,512 04-29-2014, 02:40 PM
Last Post: jdcascio
  My 1st anniversary gift from the wife. BucknEB 12 2,098 11-16-2011, 10:49 PM
Last Post: broncosbybart
  first time in the mud with gumby! gumby93 8 2,184 07-22-2009, 08:57 AM
Last Post: SC74
  to much time berg bronco 13 2,533 06-05-2009, 09:19 AM
Last Post: jollygrngiant
  time to push the limits blazinchuck 51 6,186 04-11-2008, 01:45 PM