Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Garage renovations
A year ago I decided to replace the roof to my old 1948 garage. It had 4 layers of shingles (that were never removed) and over the 50+ years it began to droop in the middle causing rain to not sheet off correctly. So I drew up plans and started my adventure. With wood leftover from my dad's cabin build and free metal roofing from my wife's uncle, my cost has been fairly low. My build is really slow, rain and wind are not my friends. AND I am by no means a framer. But I am over building, instead of using 2x4s I used 2x6s. I plan to go with one garage door, basically picking the best of the two I already have. The ceiling will be a lil over 9 foot so there is plenty of storage. The car port is 18' x 14" so there is plenty of room for my bronco.

Attached Files Image(s)

[SIZE="2"]77 project bronco w/ 5.0 & c4, Sagi PS, 2 hard tops, eyebrow grill [/SIZE]
WANTED: auto column, gas tank, front/ rear seats
Crawdad, is that an English Springer Spaniel in the 1st pic? If so, those are great dogs....I had one that we raised from a pup and was 14 yrs old when he had a series of strokes and had to be euthanized. Smartest dog I ever owned. He taught himself how to open the paddle latch on the storm door and let himself out. When he was ready to come back inside he would ring the doorbell with his paw. All our friends thought that was the damnest thing they ever saw a dog do. He loved to ride in either my Bronco or pickup. I could be in the house and tell him to let's go for a ride in which ever vehicle I wanted to drive; he would let himself out the storm door, jump the 6 foot privacy fence, and be sitting in the correct vehicle in the driveway by the time I got my keys and got out the garage door....Having to put him down was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do.

Didn't mean to get off topic, but seeing your dog brought back many fond memories. Besides, I did mention my Bronco and garage door in the same post, so it's sorta on topic....Hehehe Confusedupergrin:
Mike Edwards....74 Bronco ($ Money Pit $)
Looks like some good builder work that will add value.

My wife and I just moved into a home we built and I have been arranging the garage lately. I've built a workbench, shelves, hooked up the compressor and hung the hose reel, and going to hang some peg board today so I can start un packing tools and getting those arranged again.
'74 Grocery Getter, '73 Project Buggy, '77 Parts Rig

[Image: Bannerpic.jpg]
Medwards, yes it is a springer, his name was AJ. I got him in 1996 and I had to put him down two years ago:crying:. Like you it was a very difficult thing to do. I got him for one thing and that was to retrieve birds, but the first shot he went underneath my bronco and never came out! AJ was not a car freindly pooch either, he threw up almost every time! But none the less he was a very friendly and protective springer. A bit hard headed at times but well mannered, AND very good around young ones. I would get another springer in a skinny minute! When I got married last year my wife already had a dog. If you really want to call it a dog, its a Shitzu (sp). I call it a cat Confusedcratchhe: b/c all it does is sleep in my house all day long and runs from guests. One of these days I plan to get a man's dog! My wife likes the Brittany Spaniels so we are seeing whats out there.

SC74, I hope it does add value to my home. It should have room for a small boat to be covered on the left side once I remove the garage door. The attic area was the big thing for me. I was able to build a 4'x6' access door so I can store things such as router table, furniture, long pieces of wood, bronco parts, etc. I have a hoist to lift heavy items for that door as well. I plan to have access from inside my garage to the attic as well thru aan attic door (if I can find a 10' one). I plan to remove some of the old roof today so I can build up more walls. By the time I'm finished my wife will sell "our" house. Then I will be in ur shoes! :banghead:

Attached Files Image(s)

[SIZE="2"]77 project bronco w/ 5.0 & c4, Sagi PS, 2 hard tops, eyebrow grill [/SIZE]
This weekend wasn't so much of a bust. Didn't do any cool stuff like scbronco did, but I did work on the garage. I couldn't finish the roof since there was a blanket of ice on it so I was able to do some work inside. I removed about 70% of the old remaining roof, I can now see the new ceiling which is 10'. I spent most of the day yesterday installing a new steel door. I figured a simple drop in but ohhhh no! The door required 38" opening and all I had was 37.5"!!! YIKES:banghead:! So I had to shave off 3/4" of 2x6" stud from top to bottom. Talk about a dusty mess! But after 4 hrs I was able to install it, or as my dad says "its plum". Today I am going by Lowes to by the digital passcode lock. I have one of these on my home right now and I think it is the greatest thing. I hate keeping up with a key!!!! Along with the door I was able to put up the new header to fit my existing 9' garage door. Hopefully this coming Friday I will be able to move the garage door to its new home.

Hope everyone had a good weekend!:rebel:
Crawdad, sounds like the garage is coming along nicely....I love it when you guys post up that you've been and/or going to Lowe's to make a purchase. As an employee-owner (stockholder), it does my heart good to hear those magic words ($ ka'ching, ka'ching $)....Yeah brother, ring that cash register!!
:rockon: CB4x4 Members and Lowe's Rocks :rockon:
Mike Edwards....74 Bronco ($ Money Pit $)
sounding saweet!!! any new pics?
77 built 306,Trickflow Cam/Alum Heads/dome pistons/10:1comp,nv3550,duff long arms,3.5" lift,family cage,protofab rear bumper,twin sticked, and 35KM2'sG.D.I.
Medward, I sometimes feel I am the reason Lowes didn't ask for a Gov't Bail-out! I really take advantage of my 10% military discount. I was there yesterday and was there today during my lunch hour! Got the lock for the steel door, some caulk and some angle iron. I moved the garage door today and installed my new pass-code lock (its saweeet!).

Chuck, I hope to put some pics up soon. My wife told me today the garage looks like trash!!!! I have to agree a lil! But she likes the new lock b/c she has an easier time getting to the other fridge instead of lifting a heavy, decrepid garage door. Friday I will hook up the wires and springs to the garage door. Couldn't do it all today with a sick 6 month old!
Here are the 2 pics I took yesterday and one I took this time last year before I started this journey. The left garage door has been removed permanently, and moved to its new home 4' behind the right garage door. The right garage door will be removed & recycled in the very near future. The left side of the existing garage will be removed and left open. I plan to re-use the siding on the back and right side of new garage. I didn't see any reason to buy new siding in areas no one will ever see from the road or from my back porch. Did I mention all the termite damage!

Attached Files Image(s)

Today I was able to finish installing the garage door. It actually goes up and down better. I removed the other garage door and is ready to be recycled. Tomorrow will be more tear down on the leftside.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  garage upgrades blazinchuck 5 4,774 12-22-2012, 10:18 PM
Last Post: chuzie
  Garage Project bucketobolts 79 12,037 02-06-2012, 11:48 PM
Last Post: broncosbybart