Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ECORS Race Report #4- DPG
Race number 4 in the series came along slowly at first glance, but snuck up on us pretty fast. It caught me kind of off guard. There were a lot of things to do on the ‘to do’ list that were undone a week ago.

The main thing was the skid plate. Race 4 was to be held at Devil’s Playground. We had watched the race there last year. Many vehicles were casualties of the big rock gardens. Our vehicle was built around this course and its obstacles, but I never fabbed up a much-needed skid plate for the belly.

So, Thursday we spent finishing that and doing a lot of the pre-race maintenance, checking the bolts, fluids, tires, etc. This ran over to Friday morning and was followed up by loading the trailer, tools, and spare parts. Finally at high noon, I rolled out.
DPG is up near the Lexington or Asheboro, NC area which is only about an hour from here. A short time later I arrived and began to set everything up, all the while monitoring the conflicting and usually inaccurate weather reports.

Clay got there a couple hours later. I had pre-run the course and was walking the course when he arrived. We walked around for a little bit and ran 2 more laps. The course was mid-sized, probably about 2 miles at my best guess. It had two sections of high speed field running, a few hills to climb, one nasty mud hole (ie- cesspool) that was brutal to the nose, and the main feature, a heavily wooded section with plenty of small rocks, medium sized rocks, and a few BIG rocks.

My first impression of the course was that it was rough. Even the fields had their share of hidden surprises, ready to jerk the steering wheel of my hands at any moment. It wasn’t a course where you felt ‘settled in’ at any time. What made it worse was the dust. It was insanely dry. Visibility was almost none right behind another vehicle.

After that, we pretty much took it easy. It felt weird to not do anything while everyone else around was busy wrenching on their stuff. Even just pre-running had folks breaking things and having to find creative solutions to improvise (call that what you will).

About time it got dark, we got together for the driver’s meeting and a pig roast. Driver’s meeting was standard stuff. The pig was good and I was hungry! It hit the spot. After that we went back to our pits and hung out and traded war stories and speculated about the weather and what the next day would hold.

All Friday night there was a steady breeze from the north. The hurricane was pulling clouds toward it all night long. It cooled the temperature down nicely and kept the bugs away. About 6am Saturday, the wind really started to pick up. I got up soon after and broke down the sleeping gear, ate, and got ready for our heat race, scheduled for 9. We would be starting in the last row of the 2nd heat. It was nice to have a little time to get everything sorted out and to collect my thoughts.
The running for the day would be the heat races for the UTV’s (side by size vehicles like the Polaris RZR’s), us in class A, class B, then class C followed by the main events for each in that same order.

Our heat race was only 3 laps and went without incident. I ran a bit conservative but wanted to run hard enough to try and get a good starting position for the main. I didn’t pass anyone but did catch up to a few vehicles right near the end of the heat.

The day went very long. There were a lot of pauses between races due to having the race course changed some for each category, extracting broken rigs, and getting thing coordinated.
Our main race finally was called about 4pm. We were to start on the outside of the first row! Talk about a surprise! I figured we’d start mid-pack, at best. On our inside was a little 4 cylinder Toyota Tacoma. We chatted amongst each other. I figured we’d dust him at the start and never see him again. 30 seconds to start, 20, 10, 5-4-3-2-1. We are off! The green flag flew and I hammered down. Nothing! The engine spat and popped a few times and slowly took off. It cleared up some and I grabbed 2nd gear. By now we were in the yota’s dust.

I had no idea what was wrong. It ran fine during the heat race. But it was running and driving, so I figured we’d just keep on going and hope for the best. We gave up a few places during the first few laps, with me letting a few faster Heeps by. After the 4th lap it felt like I was trying to baby the engine to keep it happy and that we were driving a basketball. The shocks had ceased functioning as shocks. It felt like we were just bouncing between rocks, gulleys, ruts, and stumps. I heard my neck crack a minimum of 3 times, not to mention my middle and lower back. The jarring was incredible. I think that sitting in a clothes dryer for an hour might be good training, though it might be cooler and less abusive…

In the end we finished sixth. There were 4 minutes between us and first! It was very tight. We did have to bump a lapped vehicle once. They didn’t move, despite Clay laying on the horn for about ½ a lap and me following right behind them. I nudged them a few times until the finally moved over. No harm, no foul. With that though, we lost valuable time and a place or two.

It was a good race and a learning experience. For the final race I hope to have some good shocks, the engine issue fixed (I think it might be fuel cell foam breaking down and getting into the filter), and a set of spare kidneys! Thanks to Sharon and Nick H coming out for support and for snapping some pics. Till next time.
Picture time!

Here are some pics from the heats. Will Carter was in the blue TJ # 52x. He had a new 4.7 stroker on propane in it. Sounded nice!

13 Had some trouble. Chuck's buddy Godevil and his driver had a flat in their red CJ. (I was warned to watch out for them- they would be FAST)!

We started in the last row...

Attached Files Image(s)

more pics showing a pass on a Ranger. Rubbin's racing!

Attached Files Image(s)

some more pics, with some of the competition.

Attached Files Image(s)

Thanks for another great write up. The pictures look awesome! Sounds like all you need is a new fuel cell, shocks, and a good Chiropractor to put y'all back in first. Good luck at the next race! :xyxthumbs:
Thanks man. Working on securing some shocks and I'll have to look into the fuel cell siutation soon. Got it all cleaned up- had to pressure wash it twice! It was a mess! Now it is time to check it all over and see what all it really needs...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ECORS Race 8/25/12- Silver Valley, NC broncosbybart 16 4,832 08-27-2012, 09:45 PM
Last Post: nhopman
  Mud race tomorrow cuz1 3 3,336 06-06-2012, 11:20 PM
Last Post: broncosbybart
  ECORS race 1- March 17 2012 broncosbybart 24 6,294 03-28-2012, 03:40 PM
Last Post: scbronco
  ECORS Race 4- Sat Aug 27. C'mon out!! broncosbybart 5 1,693 08-26-2011, 01:38 PM
Last Post: broncosbybart
  ECORS Race 3- Spartanburg SC- We sucked!! broncosbybart 14 4,280 07-12-2011, 04:15 PM
Last Post: shon
  Bam's mud race, aug 6, near myrtle beach larryray 0 1,261 07-11-2011, 10:47 AM
Last Post: larryray
  ECORS Race 2- Auburn, AL. WE WON!!! - (sort of) broncosbybart 29 6,745 07-09-2011, 09:30 PM
Last Post: shon
  MUD RACE AND TUG AND PULL 5-21-11 NEAR MYRTLE BEACH SC larryray 0 2,273 05-19-2011, 08:20 PM
  HERE'S THE MUD AND TUG PULL THE TIRE RACE MAY 21 larryray 0 1,103 04-24-2011, 09:09 AM
  TWO MAN TAG TEAM RACE 4-2-11 MYRTLE BEACH SC larryray 0 1,207 03-25-2011, 08:47 AM