Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cooling the EB
aight, a little back ground. explorer serp,explorer clutch fan, stock radiator,and 180* tstat.

sitting in traffic or cruising under 40mph the temp holds 180-185*. once i up the cruising speed to the temp goes up. on my last trip to gulches...it stayed right at 200(maybe a hair under). on the trails, it stays at 180*. just before i made the gulches trip, i installed a new clutch for the fan...but it didnt help either(which i thought it wouldnt-just wanted to confirm). i am using a stock shroud and i modified it to be closer to the fan blades. its not at or over the blades(gonna mod it some more), plus i move the rad forward a while back (if i hadnt...the shroud would be right i think.)

any thoughts?? I also bought some alum flashing to help seal up around the rad-havent done it yet.

just want to get these temps consistent before i begin swapping in AC. i know the etra load from running AC will raise the temps.
77 built 306,Trickflow Cam/Alum Heads/dome pistons/10:1comp,nv3550,duff long arms,3.5" lift,family cage,protofab rear bumper,twin sticked, and 35KM2'sG.D.I.
I don't think 200 or even 210 is too hot for EFI. I haven't had my crawler at highway speeds by any means, but I can get to almost 200 idling in the garage. That's with a new Champion radiator, shroud, and explorer fan. The aux fan I have mounted on the trans cooler in front of the radiator doesn't seem to help it drop either when I cut it on. I can't remember what thermostat I put in, but I'm leaning towards 195 since it gets there and stays there. Crawling around slow and in the hot sun I get 210ish but never more than that.
'74 Grocery Getter, '73 Project Buggy, '77 Parts Rig

[Image: Bannerpic.jpg]
where do you have your temp sensor? i had to drill the tstat housing to mount this mech sender...im sure thats gonna make some difference on temp readings
77 built 306,Trickflow Cam/Alum Heads/dome pistons/10:1comp,nv3550,duff long arms,3.5" lift,family cage,protofab rear bumper,twin sticked, and 35KM2'sG.D.I.
The radiator shrouds make a pretty big difference
I'll have to double check the location Chuck. I'll check tonight when I get home, but you are right - the T-stat housing may be one of the cooler places to check it.
'74 Grocery Getter, '73 Project Buggy, '77 Parts Rig

[Image: Bannerpic.jpg]
Roberts right, 200,210 is not too high a temp. Most ecms want to see 195 before it will run in closed loop. But with the ac it may go up from there. If it does it definetly sounds like a lack of air flow at higher rpms. You could counter this with a lower t-stat(I run a 160) or play with the fan shroud some. I'm guessing you dont have room for an aux fan. So how about an oil cooler. I was able to realy stablaize my temps with a remote oil filter housing and oil cooler. Shouldent your intake have had a bung for the temp sensor?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
it does have 1 bung ,thats for the computer harness temp sensor...no room for my mech gauge
Ok, I got ya. To compare gauges put a scan tool or code reader on it in moniter mode. But I bet you will be ok for now. I would probably wait and compare the gauges before I made too many changes.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
i know 200 is not high...im trying to stabilize it. when i put this motor in and the 5.0 stang motor...i used a 195* both times. i wanted to see how bad things would get running the right tstat. well, with the mustang serp/fix fan...it was stable. switched to explorer serp and it stay at 200-then went to 205-210* on highway. so a couple weeks ago while trying the explorer radiator...i swapped in a 180*fail-safe stat. now like i said the temp holds 180-185* in any traffic jam at any temp outside(thats great!) but i dont like how i cant seem to control it going to 200* on the highway(once in a while at hi speeds...205*) once i come back to normal traffic...it takes a long time to come down to normal temps. also this motor was treated to a new explorer water pump. i sure the radiator needs a good flushing(not like i do...but i service place)
My mech gauge reads from a bung on the driver side of the intake. The ECM temp sensor plugs into the hard coolant line that runs between the upper and lower intakes on the pass. Side.