Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best course of action--broken header bolts
I have Summit Racing shorty headers on my 351w. On the passenger side, as I was removing the manifold, one of the bolts was already broken off inside the head. I drilled completely through the broken bolt and then broke an easy-out off inside of it. I installed the header with only 7 of the 8 bolts holding it on, and it leaked pretty bad. I removed the header and installed a thicker gasket. During the reinstillation, i managed to strip the threads out of another bolt hole. Now there are 2 of the 8 bolts missing and the leak is driving me batty.

So what would you do to fix this? Remove the head, take it to machine shop to fix, or just remove/replace with a cheap reman head? The engine is a 1995 with about 148K miles.
'95 Bronco -- 351W-435-205, D44 SAS, Cromos, Truetrac, E-Locker
sometimes when you put new heads on a high mileage engine it will cause it to smoke. i would remove the header and drill the holes out again if you can. then clean each thread and re install the header with new bolts.
East Coast Surplus & Tactical
336-674-3868
what kind of bit do i need to drill through the easy-out?
geeche...I don't know a whole lot about this but why could you not drill out a bigger hole and tap it for a new size?

Also I have had some luck with my reverse drill bits.

The easy out is going to give you hell. I don't know about get that out, unless you can get a very small hole started in the center of it and try going a little bigger, little bigger, little bigger blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
Waiting to build or BUY another legend! :thefinger:
Always an EB fan, lover and freak :notworthy:

1985 Yoda 4Runner :xyxthumbs:
try to use a sharp point punch to chip-out the easy out...I would try a carbide bit(to redill the easy out)-gonna cost alot more than standard bits. Then I would drill out the bolts and step up each time with a little bigger bit...until you get 90% of the bolt hole...then retry the easyout or even a tap(gun tap)Chuck
77 built 306,Trickflow Cam/Alum Heads/dome pistons/10:1comp,nv3550,duff long arms,3.5" lift,family cage,protofab rear bumper,twin sticked, and 35KM2'sG.D.I.
are you using anti-sieze on the bolts?
77 built 306,Trickflow Cam/Alum Heads/dome pistons/10:1comp,nv3550,duff long arms,3.5" lift,family cage,protofab rear bumper,twin sticked, and 35KM2'sG.D.I.
johnpaulgolf Wrote:geeche...I don't know a whole lot about this but why could you not drill out a bigger hole and tap it for a new size?

I could do that, yeah. I wonder how much larger I can go before I risk running into a water jacket.

johnpaulgolf Wrote:The easy out is going to give you hell. I don't know about get that out, unless you can get a very small hole started in the center of it and try going a little bigger, little bigger, little bigger blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

That's about what i think, too. I'll try that right after I try welding another bolt to this one...and praying I can pb blaster it out :banghead:

blazinchuck Wrote:try to use a sharp point punch to chip-out the easy out...I would try a carbide bit(to redill the easy out)-gonna cost alot more than standard bits. Then I would drill out the bolts and step up each time with a little bigger bit...until you get 90% of the bolt hole...then retry the easyout or even a tap(gun tap)Chuck

That'll be plan #3...4... I donno, but it's one of the plans i have :banghead:

blazinchuck Wrote:are you using anti-sieze on the bolts?

No, i didn't. I never plan to remove the bolts again.

BTW: here's the bolt that is broken. It's the front bolt for the #4 cylinder (i think. pass side, all the way back).

Attached Files Image(s)

Ogeechee 4x4 Wrote:what kind of bit do i need to drill through the easy-out?
carbide
blazinchuck Wrote:are you using anti-sieze on the bolts?

use it anyways . if you ever blow a header gasket you will be glad you did.
when you finally get that out buy you a complete set of brand new bolts.
East Coast Surplus & Tactical
336-674-3868
Ogeechee 4x4 Wrote:what kind of bit do i need to drill through the easy-out?

Good luck!! I think I'd pull the head where you could get at it better with maybe a drill press..I'm with Mike if you put on re-man head it may cause it to blow by the rings..
SIZE MATTERS! :rebel: Uncle Ted [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
http://www.wheelindixie.com
http://www.coastalcarolinaoffroad.com
broncomania Wrote:carbide

gotcha

broncomania Wrote:use it anyways . if you ever blow a header gasket you will be glad you did.
when you finally get that out buy you a complete set of brand new bolts.

Ok, but won't the two bolt holes i'm working on be different sizes than the other 6? Well, maybe not if i Helicoil them, but if i just drill/thread...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  broken thermostat housing bolt dixieboyz13 13 2,367 02-07-2012, 09:31 PM
Last Post: dixieboyz13
  Specs for 351W motor mount bolts? 73Bronc 11 2,796 09-27-2011, 11:36 PM
Last Post: 73Bronc
  fender bolts Casey835 3 958 07-17-2010, 10:25 PM
Last Post: Casey835