Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ZF 5-speed?
I remember seeing alot of guys swapping in a ZF tranny in the EB's. I know a guy on classic did a 2wd version, but would I need a 4wd version to make it easier and cheaper? And what t-case would I use? Not looking to change mine, but maybe grab some parts for a street truck down the road,Chuck
77 built 306,Trickflow Cam/Alum Heads/dome pistons/10:1comp,nv3550,duff long arms,3.5" lift,family cage,protofab rear bumper,twin sticked, and 35KM2'sG.D.I.
I remember seeing the article about the guy using the 2wd and the D20. I don't think he ever finished or drove it. I don't think it would work too well. The transfer case was just hanging off the rear of the cross member if I remember correctly. But a 4wd version will bolt to a NP205 with a little grinding for the shifter rail. I have been looking for a big block version to go in my F250 project. Not to much luck yet. I have found a few in the local junk yards, but they want like $850 for a tranny with 200,000+ miles. It may be cheaper for me to buy a whole parts truck for the tranny than the piece itself.
'72 TBA...
Yeah chuck, the zf will bolt to a np205 with a little persuasion. You will have to modify your driveshafts. The good thing is that you can swap an atlas or stak without changing your driveshafts as the overall length is similiar to the np205 length for the other. BC Broncos has a nice kit that included the crossemember and all of the hydraulic clutch linkages and an adapter to a d20. I think the kit runs in the $700+/- range.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  4 speed tranny, will it work on EB Crawdad 13 1,934 08-13-2011, 07:56 PM
Last Post: blazinchuck