Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Busted wheel hub
This may be a little boring but it is activity.

Went powerline riding Sunday and attempted a mud hole with an up hill climb in the back side. I decide to hit it really hard not knowing if the mud hole had a bottom. It was deep but I was pulling out of the mud and going up hill. I had the pedal on the floor in low lock 3rd gear. Bronco was digging. All of a sudden the left front tire stopped pulling so I stop. My buddy walked over and said the whole hub assemble was gone. It was in about 10 pieces. The hub it self was laying on the ground with the outer screws still holding it all together. I got out to inspect. Now remember these are all new parts from the front disc comversion. The spindle nuts and pieces of the bearing were still on the spindle. I guess the hub was cheaply made in China. Here are some pics after I got it home.

[Image: HPIM0774.jpg]

[Image: HPIM0772.jpg]

[Image: HPIM0773.jpg]
Confusedcratchhe: Like you said - cheap imported crap more than likely.

Were you able to pull out of the hole after stopping?
'74 Grocery Getter, '73 Project Buggy, '77 Parts Rig

[Image: Bannerpic.jpg]
looks like you had a good time:chili:...until...well until it was no fun:banghead:
Waiting to build or BUY another legend! :thefinger:
Always an EB fan, lover and freak :notworthy:

1985 Yoda 4Runner :xyxthumbs:
ouch.
glad you got it home carl.
East Coast Surplus & Tactical
336-674-3868
Looks like the wheel bearings also self destructed. What brand lock outs where you running? Might be time for a set of Warn's. Or just a set of drive flanges.
'72 TBA...
OUCH, that sucks. Did you dive it home or fix it there? I started carring a spare hub/rotor assembly and spindle after a simular bearing incident.
Of course since then I've never had a problem, but you can never be too prepaired.
How was the brakes before that?
Broncomatt
bucketobolts Wrote:Looks like the wheel bearings also self destructed. What brand lock outs where you running? Might be time for a set of Warn's. Or just a set of drive flanges.

The locking hub is a new warn. I thought about flanges but thought that may affect drivability.Confusedcratchhe:

broncomatt Wrote:OUCH, that sucks. Did you dive it home or fix it there? I started carring a spare hub/rotor assembly and spindle after a simular bearing incident.
Of course since then I've never had a problem, but you can never be too prepaired.
How was the brakes before that?
Broncomatt

Shame on me--- I never finished the brakes, I am still using the same proportioning valve and master cylinder. I started changing that stuff out and realized I needed different sized brake line fittings to fit in the new proporting valve and ran out of time. It still worked fine though.:rubeyes:
I will finish that this week:xyxthumbs:
Ouch... Which power lines were you running? Up your way, or in my backyard?
JayT Wrote:Ouch... Which power lines were you running? Up your way, or in my backyard?

up in Wake Forest. Ill call you next time we go
I have a new hub and locking hub if you still need it?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I wanna WHEEL!!! broncosbybart 6 1,070 03-18-2013, 06:10 PM
Last Post: blazinchuck
  4 wheel discs master cylinder snipes243 5 2,220 12-31-2012, 10:02 AM
Last Post: broncomatt
  Cool wheel simulator jdowns67 3 880 01-24-2011, 09:22 PM
Last Post: medwards01
  Wheel Adapters jollygrngiant 5 2,614 10-04-2009, 12:52 PM
Last Post: DeTowman
  Hub & Rotor Assembly different than EB? SC74 6 1,365 03-28-2008, 11:29 AM
Last Post: bowtieman55