Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electric Motor Wiring
So....

I have this huge industrial air circulator in my garage, a Dayton 32" I believe, and the switch is bad so I need to replace it. The problem is that the pull chain switch is had was a dual layer kind of funky switch and I can't find one at the hardware store to match so I was looking for a way to make the standard 4-wire pull chain I did find work.

The fan motor has 6 wires. I know where the ground goes but that is about it.

I have identified the two power source wires but don't know where to place them on the switch along with the 3 motor wires. Yes, I know, that adds up to 5 wires on a 4-wire switch. I really don't care if I have the ability to use the high and low settings I just want the high setting so I guess I need help determining which two motor wires to connect without frying my expensive motor. Thoughts?

-Mike
'77 351w- Explorer EFI, 4R70W, 4-link, lockers, 4.56, 35" MT/Rs with a severe rock addiction.Confusedmokin:
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

[Image: sig2.jpg]
come on we need pics...you know better
Waiting to build or BUY another legend! :thefinger:
Always an EB fan, lover and freak :notworthy:

1985 Yoda 4Runner :xyxthumbs:
As you can see the two switches are different in that the original one is a double stack and the new one is not. THey are similar in that they are both 3 speed switches.

On the old switch, the white wire, which is a motor wire, is in the terminal labeled "neutral splicer" which seems to also be connected with one of the power source wire which you can barely see embossed on the case in the last picture.

I believe the "L" terminal belonged to the other power wire.

The other two motor wires, the blue and orange, resided on the lower layer in the second and third speed ports (one was empty).

So, assuming I know that a power source wire goes to "L" and another is linked to the white motor neutral could I just jam the blue and orange into two of the three speed ports and splice one of the power lines with the motor neutral ?

OK REMOVED THE PICS SINCE I FIXED THE PROBLEM.
'77 351w- Explorer EFI, 4R70W, 4-link, lockers, 4.56, 35" MT/Rs with a severe rock addiction.Confusedmokin:

nice pics chuzie sorry but I can't help ya...If it was me I would try the two speed power wires on the same and ground it and go for it...but like you said would hate to burn your motor up...I'm sure someone will chime in and help...I was really just trying to mess with you!!

YOU SUCK!!!!

chuzie Wrote:YOU SUCK!!!!
:hysterical: :hysterical: :thefinger: :hysterical: :hysterical:

I have a similar fan at work...I will be there tomorrow and will try to see what I can help ya with. Go to Granger.com and look up a similar fan...I think they have a complete wiring/break-down page on every item they sell...and you can view it online. That should help for now.
77 built 306,Trickflow Cam/Alum Heads/dome pistons/10:1comp,nv3550,duff long arms,3.5" lift,family cage,protofab rear bumper,twin sticked, and 35KM2'sG.D.I.
I figured it out. Just took my talking it out in my post for the light to go off.

Just connected the neutral to one side of the power, shoved the other side of the power in the switch along with the two other motor wires and it works like a champ.

Thanks for nothing JP.

Appreciate the offer Chuck.

chuzie Wrote:I figured it out. Just took my talking it out in my post for the light to go off.

Just connected the neutral to one side of the power, shoved the other side of the power in the switch along with the two other motor wires and it works like a champ.

Thanks for nothing JP.

Appreciate the offer Chuck.

Thanks for nothing you did exactly what I said biotch..:thefinger:

No No No

I did exactly what you said I said I was thinking about doing when I said it. All you did was reiterate what I said by saying so. So say no more my naysaying friend. Ok, I have said enough about saying. Thanks for saying so JP.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  my dads 99 Ford Ranger motor took a dive Crawdad 4 3,649 08-28-2012, 12:00 PM
Last Post: blazinchuck
  Wiring Problem with towing 2000F150SAS 7 1,829 01-25-2010, 02:38 PM
Last Post: blazinchuck
  Name that motor! cuz1 34 5,788 05-01-2009, 08:46 PM
Last Post: greg davis