Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PM
I know that this is normal stuff but I felt like it was worth talking about.

I have done this before but had a few loose nuts and bolts.

Everyone should check this stuff before and after every trail ride and every few hundred miles.

My header bolts...my valve covers...my carb nuts/bolts...battery hold down and wires ect. ...alt/water pump/power steering brakets adjustments ect...exhaust to headers...drive shafts stuff...windsheild supports...wiper bracket...CB and radio hold downs...folding windsheild bolts...seat belts...seat brackets/hold downs...

And alot more...I'm sure I missed alot of stuff but for the time in the comfort of your garage the time is well spent!!!

Please comment and add to my list.:biggthumpup:

:popc1:
Waiting to build or BUY another legend! :thefinger:
Always an EB fan, lover and freak :notworthy:

1985 Yoda 4Runner :xyxthumbs:
A good thing for the header bolts is those stage 8 locking header bolts. I know it is a major PItA to tighten mine but I have to do it because I hate chaning the gasket.

Looks like you are on the right track JP maybe a formal checklist would be in order to make sure it gets done each time. Preventive maintenance is always the best kind.

Depending on the trail activity I would also suggest making sure there was no water contamination in the driveline. Nothing worse than losing a diff to oil breakdown.
'77 351w- Explorer EFI, 4R70W, 4-link, lockers, 4.56, 35" MT/Rs with a severe rock addiction.Confusedmokin:
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

[Image: sig2.jpg]
I just replaced a header bolt last week that magically disapearedConfusedcratchhe:. My brother in law bought a new carb for his Nova, so I got my 600 DP carb back. I think I may swap it back on to do some more R&D with my current Demon.
'72 TBA...
Hey, JP, Chuzie or anyone else that could help me with this....after reading JP's thread I thought about putting a list like this together with our logo at the top to have at the table for the ballgame event next Sunday here in Concord / Kannapolis.....:popc1:

Running copies of a "checklist" sheet that people could take with them....this could be Bronco specific or more general 4 x 4 items that anyone could take a copy of.....I also liked the list of items that someone had put together a while back about what to have in your rig on the trail....maybe a dual list

Trying to organize some things for this because we'll have hundreds of people passing by the table and it would look good on our part to have some literature maybe.

I can type up list based on the items that ya'll have already mentioned but I'm not very knowlegableConfusedcratchhe: about some of this stuff....if someone could make up a good list for me that would be great.....

Let me know what ya'll think about this ...thanks for your helpConfusedupergrin:

Rhonda
There is alot more pm to be done on a truck that is used hard off road.
Just at a glance if you look into a manufactors owners manual it will show how often you need to change the fluids in dirty conditions. When you take into acount of what we put our trucks threw on a wheeling adventure there is a lot more to be checked.
If the vehicle is modifide than those parts may reqire extra attension.
Header bolts are prone to backing out. Mostly due to the thick gasket they use. A while back I switched to using the stock exhast manifold gasket in place of the header gasket. That one swap has stopped most of my header ploblems. I also use good lock tight on the threads. You can get aftermarket bolts (arp, ect) that wont back out.

Things I would check on a rig after a hard weekend,

Inspect the body, dents, cracks, rust can all cause structural problems.
Check your lights, the harsh vibration can case bulbs to go out.

Raise the hood and check all the fluids, looking for water in the engin, tranny, air filter and Ps system. Check the belts and hoses for rubbing, soft spots, or damage. The brake system should be sealed, but check the level and color of the fluid. Water will kill brake fluid.

Crawl under and check the undercarage, if your lift kit was recently installed it is a good time to perform the retorqe of the bolts. Pull the diff and t-case plugs and check the fluid. Milky gear oil is cause by water. Time to change them. Keep an eye for rock or other debre caught up on the frame. Damage to brake and fuel lines can occure.

Jack up the front axle, check the tightness of the wheel bearing and supesion. It is very common to need to tighten wheel bearings after a hard trip. If any watercrossings the grease should be repacked.
I would also jack up the rear axle and check the bearings there.
Take this time to grease any thing that has a fitting(drive shafts, u-joints, ball joints tie rods).

Visualy inspect the tires for cuts and side wall damage that could be unsafe on the street.

Check your supplys and spare parts. Be sure to replace anything you used on the last trip(you probably will need it again). Check your spare tire and Jack!

These are basic checks and maitnece work I perform on my bronco before every big trip and every time I get back from offroading.
Broncomatt
Nice stuff Matt thanks for adding stuff.

Today I also found my T-case crossmember was very loose while doing a fluid change on Tranny / T-case

thanks Matt!!!Confusedupergrin:
Hey red you can probably take stuff from each post and make your list...

Please post up a copy and we can edit / add to it!!!

I'll do that....hope to work on it tomorrow at lunch

Do ya'll remember when we were gearing up for last years URE trip...someone posted a thread on what to include in your rig for the trails....it was a good list but can't seem to find it....it may not have transferred with the new site

would like to add that to my list as well if you can help

Thanks...."say good night!"Confusedleep:
Rhonda
Well Matt just did this one...

http://www.cb4x4.com/upload/showthread.php?t=1225

I will look for the other one too.