Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need full width info.
I talked with Broncomania quite a bit on this. (Thanks for all the info :biggthumpupSmile

So I know I don't really want to use a 44 from a '78-'79 bronco because of the cast wedges.

Is there any way around this?
I ask because my lovely wife has a '78 bronco and if we buy a '78-'79 as a donor we will be able to use a bunch more parts off of it than just buying the pieces seperately.

e.g. there is a '79 here with new tires and all that can be bought for $300. That will give us all the parts we need for the EB but also parts we need for her '78

I have also found a flat top D44 in the junk yard, but it is 8 bolt so I would need a different rear end as well.

Is it that hard to change the axle tubes? Or other options?

Thanks
Might be speaking out of turn, But i'd buy the 79 for the parts and tires. You'd have a full width rear and any other parts you would need minus a front. I think you could change inner axles on the 5 lug/ 8 lug stuff?
Traveler Wrote:I have also found a flat top D44 in the junk yard, but it is 8 bolt so I would need a different rear end as well.

Thanks
what did this come out of ???? if its a driver side drop hp44 you should buy that for the front of your eb. and just 4 link it with coil overs. buy the parts 78/79 bronco for audra. then locate you a rear dana 70 for your eb and 4 link it to. the dana 70 will be full floater and 35 spline from the factory. put a spool in it . both axles will have matching 8x6.5 lug pattern.
thats the best route to take. im kind of Confusedcratchhe: my head right now and thinking i should have left well enough alone. ive spent the money already and made the mistakes for you. so if you really want a bad ass trail rig thats my advice. but a hp60 in the front would be much better than that hp44 .
East Coast Surplus & Tactical
336-674-3868
Traveler Wrote:Is it that hard to change the axle tubes? Or other options?

Thanks
to answer this question, ive seen people use the 78/79 cast wedge axle. they strongly and securely spaced the coil buckets off the frame a little and just pulled the radius arms in and then tightened everything up. the coils have a slight bow in them . i personally dont like it that way but it works.
336-674-3868
The 44 I saw was in a '78 F250. Never looked to see if it was like the one we own or not.
It was leaf sprung. I think $150 is what they wanted.
The ring gear was loose, so not sure if someone swapped the carrier or what.

I agree the HP60 is the way to go, but just can't spend the money right now. We have 2 other trucks we are converting to 4x4, both of those will have to have a D60 also. One diesel and one 460. I can have the whole truck on the trail for what a D60 will cost us. I keep watching though.

We don't want the big tires, or anything that radical. Just something I can follow Audra down the trails in.

Target 35", maybe 37" if we found a deal on them. Not going with high horsepower or anything like that. I hear all kinds of differing info on the 44 vs 60. Other advantages, her and I will both be running the same diff's, less spare parts to carry and they are cheap.

4 link would probably be the way to go with that axle. Just getting started on ideas.
I still have not got the thing running. It sat for who knows how many years, just found out today the bellhousing was full to starter level with dirt, wood chips, and leaves. Hmmm, no wonder it wouldn't turn over.
Is there any reason the coil mounts on the axle have to be on the radius arm?

Or what about a 4 link on a cast wedge axle?

I am a pretty capable welder. I just fear moving wedges on the axle will not be good.
Traveler Wrote:The 44 I saw was in a '78 F250. Never looked to see if it was like the one we own or not.
It was leaf sprung. I think $150 is what they wanted.
thats a deal go buy it. build it with a good 8 lug rear. in your light weight rig on 37" tires or smaller you shouldnt need to carry spare parts for the rear if you buy a dana 70 .
336-674-3868
but, but, but, but I just bought these 5 bolt wheels. LOL
:goes and stands in corner:

Yeah, so I got all of these 8 bolt 16.5 wheels. Aluminum. So Bead locks for 16.5 aluminum?
I actually have been talking to a guy about it.
if I'm not mistaken, if it's a D44 8 lug, just get new hub/rotor for a D44 5 lug. They should be interchangeable.
77 built 306,Trickflow Cam/Alum Heads/dome pistons/10:1comp,nv3550,duff long arms,3.5" lift,family cage,protofab rear bumper,twin sticked, and 35KM2'sG.D.I.
I would'nt know nothing about no fullwidths...:angry:
Waiting to build or BUY another legend! :thefinger:
Always an EB fan, lover and freak :notworthy:

1985 Yoda 4Runner :xyxthumbs:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Timed vs full??? Crawdad 11 3,240 03-02-2011, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Crawdad
  Headers - Shorty or Full Length 2000F150SAS 3 1,822 01-27-2010, 04:08 PM
Last Post: JayT
  93 Full Size Electrical Problem BigBird13 0 1,396 07-18-2009, 01:51 PM
Last Post: BigBird13