Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ECORS Race 2- Auburn, AL. WE WON!!! - (sort of)
Lap 9 went well except for 2 things. Jon had radio’d to Clay a few laps earlier that we were in 2nd, and then at the end of lap 9, I got a flat. I had bought these tires used from a guy and they were in perfect shape- no rock rash, cuts, or anything! The right front had either leaked, or blew the bead off the outside. It happened while going around a hard left almost in sight of the start/finish line. I decided to roll with it and change it in the pits, as it would be much quicker. We pitted, opened the tool box in the back of the Bronco, took the spare off, and changed the tire. My crew yelled for us to get back in while they finished it up. The jack came down and we were off! We went through the big dirt piles, then into the rocky ravine. Oh CRAP!!! The tool box lid was still open! Tools were bouncing out everywhere! We were doing more of a rock race than a rock crawl, after all… Clay hopped out. I was going to wait for him but after a few seconds came to my senses and took off w/out himSad

The remainder of the lap was smooth and we ended up with about a 4.5 minute setback due to the tire change. Lap 10 went without complaint, other than the worries over the trans temp! We were done! Instead, I get flagged to go again! WHAT??? Maybe I lost count, I don’t know. It felt like I had been driving forever! Another lap then! We got it done and then the checkered flag. I was worried about it.

Our guys in the pits had taken times manually and had confirmed that I did 11 laps! Hmm. We were puzzled. After the race had been over for a while, we requested to see our lap times. We were given a 20 minute and change lap on lap 6. WHAT? We were running about 10 minute laps. The only thing I could think of is that a UTV had come up and gotten scored and we were overlooked (there were a couple of laps where a few of us were there at the same time).

On top of that, the driver in a Jeep YJ was told that he had won. He started before me and said that he passed me while I was changing the tire in the pits. Every lap of ours was faster than his by about 30 seconds minimum to about 1.5 minutes max. We easily had 5 minutes on him by lap 9. Only problem was that I couldn’t recall passing him at any time and that we were given a 20 minute lap.

The ECORS management were awesome in helping work through it. Ultimately the decision was made to award us both first place finishes, splitting points, and everything. While both Brad (the other driver) and I would have really liked to know who really won (as we both thought we had), nothing could be done, as no video was kept or other confirmation taken. I really wish someone had us at the middle of that 20 minute lap, showing us at the starting line.

So, a marginal victory, but a victory nonetheless! It was a great place, a great event, and great weather, minus the dust and a lack of showers. It smelled like a locker room on the way home. Old food, old shoes, new clothes covering 4 dirt covered guys. We can’t wait for the next race, to show the Jeep who’s boss!!!

Sorry for the lack of pics, but these are the only ones the crew got. There will be a ton posted over the next week or so. Will post links as they become available.

Attached Files Image(s)

Messages In This Thread
ECORS Race 2- Auburn, AL. WE WON!!! - (sort of) - by broncosbybart - 05-01-2011, 07:03 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ECORS Race 8/25/12- Silver Valley, NC broncosbybart 16 4,853 08-27-2012, 09:45 PM
Last Post: nhopman
  Mud race tomorrow cuz1 3 3,345 06-06-2012, 11:20 PM
Last Post: broncosbybart
  ECORS race 1- March 17 2012 broncosbybart 24 6,313 03-28-2012, 03:40 PM
Last Post: scbronco
  ECORS Race Report #4- DPG broncosbybart 8 4,280 09-02-2011, 09:09 AM
  ECORS Race 4- Sat Aug 27. C'mon out!! broncosbybart 5 1,715 08-26-2011, 01:38 PM
  ECORS Race 3- Spartanburg SC- We sucked!! broncosbybart 14 4,319 07-12-2011, 04:15 PM
Last Post: shon
  Bam's mud race, aug 6, near myrtle beach larryray 0 1,273 07-11-2011, 10:47 AM
Last Post: larryray
  MUD RACE AND TUG AND PULL 5-21-11 NEAR MYRTLE BEACH SC larryray 0 2,285 05-19-2011, 08:20 PM
  HERE'S THE MUD AND TUG PULL THE TIRE RACE MAY 21 larryray 0 1,112 04-24-2011, 09:09 AM
  TWO MAN TAG TEAM RACE 4-2-11 MYRTLE BEACH SC larryray 0 1,217 03-25-2011, 08:47 AM