Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ECORS Race 3- Spartanburg SC- We sucked!!
Woke up early the next morning, as the driver’s meeting was at 7:30. We had to get gas, fill the Bronco, check it over, and get ready to go! On the way back, the roads got worse and worse. We reached a point where a sign actually stated that state maintenance to the road ended!! The GPS told us to press on. I told Clay to get out his 9 and shoot at anything that moved Big Grin

We passed a handful of beer joints and abandoned buildings before getting to the track again. I can’t imagine taking a family to the fair down there!!

Overnight it had rained a bunch, which was awesome. The UTV’s ran their heat laps. We started 4th out of 6 for our heat race. The track was slick! We had to run 4wd. I couldn’t make one hairpin turn right at the start and got nerfed in the quarter panel by a passing Heep! At least it was the quarter that was already damaged...

I eventually got the hang of driving on the slick track. Clay shifted the front axle in and out, at my command. It is hard to hear through helmets and the sound of the screaming 302! That thing sounded awesome! The Bronco just wouldn’t turn. It went straight like a bullet, but tight turns were out of the question. We finished where we started, 4th out of 6. It wasn’t going to be a good day.

The main event wasn’t going to be until about 3pm. We had the Bronco parked under the easy up next to the trailer. A lot of people came over to talk about their Broncos, or Broncos they used to have, and to look at ours. We got a lot of compliments and swapped war stories. After a bit, we checked it over and I moved the steering stop bolts in the knuckles further in, to allow for more steering while Clay tightened up the twin stick shifter bolts, as they had loosened up some.

It got really hot. We were sweating just standing still in the shade. A small amount of rain fell before the UTV’s ran. It wasn’t near enough. The dust was awful. We were next and slated to run 20 laps. We started 10th out of 13. The track changed dramatically. A lot of silt had built up. It was dry and hard in some places, soft and silty in others. We ended up running 2wd, except at the start/finish where we had to stop at each lap to get our lap recorded by the scorers.

Each time we got to the hairpin 180, we had to do a 3 point turn. It cost us a lot of time. Others were making it in 1 pass. It really hurt us. About half way through the race the steering got harder. A few laps later it quit altogether. I stopped and we opened the hood. There was PS fluid everywhere!!! Something had majorly failed but we couldn’t tell what. Nothing was visibly wrong, but our PS was done. We limped it in for a finish. Both Clay and I were black. The dust was so bad that our faces were reddish black, even through the enclosed helmets.

We don’t know where we finished yet. The scoring was not done even by the time we left. I think we finished mid pack somewhere, as a lot of people didn’t finish at all due to mechanical problems or crash damage.

My favorite part of the day was seeing Will in his Jeep TJ. He was right in front of us one lap. He hit a jump, and his hood flew straight up, like something out of the movies. Must have made it hard to see, as he had to quick stop and re-latch it…

Here are some pics of the track and of some class C rigs. I didn't get to take any other pics.

Attached Files Image(s)

Messages In This Thread
ECORS Race 3- Spartanburg SC- We sucked!! - by broncosbybart - 07-10-2011, 01:49 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ECORS Race 8/25/12- Silver Valley, NC broncosbybart 16 4,844 08-27-2012, 09:45 PM
Last Post: nhopman
  Mud race tomorrow cuz1 3 3,343 06-06-2012, 11:20 PM
Last Post: broncosbybart
  ECORS race 1- March 17 2012 broncosbybart 24 6,310 03-28-2012, 03:40 PM
Last Post: scbronco
  ECORS Race Report #4- DPG broncosbybart 8 4,271 09-02-2011, 09:09 AM
  ECORS Race 4- Sat Aug 27. C'mon out!! broncosbybart 5 1,708 08-26-2011, 01:38 PM
  Bam's mud race, aug 6, near myrtle beach larryray 0 1,269 07-11-2011, 10:47 AM
Last Post: larryray
  ECORS Race 2- Auburn, AL. WE WON!!! - (sort of) broncosbybart 29 6,780 07-09-2011, 09:30 PM
Last Post: shon
  MUD RACE AND TUG AND PULL 5-21-11 NEAR MYRTLE BEACH SC larryray 0 2,282 05-19-2011, 08:20 PM
  HERE'S THE MUD AND TUG PULL THE TIRE RACE MAY 21 larryray 0 1,109 04-24-2011, 09:09 AM
  TWO MAN TAG TEAM RACE 4-2-11 MYRTLE BEACH SC larryray 0 1,215 03-25-2011, 08:47 AM