Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tranny swap
I have been putting some thought into swapping out a Np435 for my stock 72 transmission. I have never swapped a transmission before so I was wondering what all needs to be done and anything special I should know.
I'm guessing your replacing a stick 3 spd? If so there is not too much to installing a NP435. I would highly suggest at least a 2" body lift. I first installed my NP without any body lift. It will go but is much more pleasant with the lift. You will also have to cut a hole in the tunnel for the shifter. I cut the entire top from my tunnel and fabricated a removable cover. Like I said before without a lift you will probably have to cut most of the tunnel top out to install, but with about 2" you can brobably get by with just a hole the size of an average shifter boot.
'72 TBA...
A body lift is a MUST if you want to keep your sanity. Less body mods will be required and removal and installation is a million times easier and faster.
'77 351w- Explorer EFI, 4R70W, 4-link, lockers, 4.56, 35" MT/Rs with a severe rock addiction.Confusedmokin:
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

[Image: sig2.jpg]
This swap will be the easiest upgrade to improve you "crawl" ratio and the 2nd 3rd and 4th gears basically mimic your 3 speed. The 1st gear is so low and I mean sooo low it will be great for increasing your crawl ratio. The NP435 is a really tough tranny also I have put mine through some really tough gear bangin hardcore shifting and have beat on it plenty...no problems...Confusedmokin:

I am pretty sure this is the adapter you will need...Chuck had one so he let me use it...someone chime in to make sure I'm right here... Confusedcratchhe:
http://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/product.p...44&id=1073

This is a must have in order to do the swap...:xyxthumbs:
http://bcbroncos.com/store/product_info....cts_id=176

:chili: :rockon: :chili:
Waiting to build or BUY another legend! :thefinger:
Always an EB fan, lover and freak :notworthy:

1985 Yoda 4Runner :xyxthumbs:
The adapter is a must? its expensive as hell, thats more than the tranny itself. And as for the lift, im not too worried about comfort as this is not a daily driver and i dont mind cutting out the tunnel. Thanks for the answers guys
The adapter is a must!!! :grinning:

The 6cyl. adapter also!!! :blues:

The lift is more for the ease of install and being able to work on stuff...:beer:

I paid $100 for my tranny and $250 for the adapter...:rubeyes:

Its all worth it I promise...Confusedmokin:
Waiting to build or BUY another legend! :thefinger:
Always an EB fan, lover and freak :notworthy:

1985 Yoda 4Runner :xyxthumbs:
JP is right. It is gonna cost some $$$ but it is a necessary evil.
'77 351w- Explorer EFI, 4R70W, 4-link, lockers, 4.56, 35" MT/Rs with a severe rock addiction.Confusedmokin:
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

[Image: sig2.jpg]
I used the NP205 no adapters no muss no fuss
Tellico on my mind

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tire/rim swap anthonysmilsurp 8 1,586 08-18-2011, 12:06 AM
Last Post: anthonysmilsurp
  4 speed tranny, will it work on EB Crawdad 13 1,926 08-13-2011, 07:56 PM
Last Post: blazinchuck
  any tranny shops round fayetteville? c-dub 1 1,036 05-29-2010, 01:20 AM
Last Post: c-dub
  Engine Swap...wanna help UTfball68 4 2,228 09-17-2009, 07:57 PM
Last Post: UTfball68
  4.0 Bronco II Swap Mtrhd0024 4 3,207 06-18-2009, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Timstrk
  New Roll cage, tranny, sliders and fab front bumber johnpaulgolf 151 17,730 06-27-2008, 04:12 PM
Last Post: johnpaulgolf
  Tranny is in!!! NC-Fordguy 2 848 01-17-2008, 05:59 AM
Last Post: blazinchuck