Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sputter?
when I am driving my bronco in any gear and am lightly stepping on the gas the engine sputters but never quits and when I mash the gas it clears up. And it idles fine I have put a new carb and dizzy on it. And it seems like theres less power every time I drive it. Confusedcratchhe:
Life is short------drive your bronco everyday!
EFI or carb?

Pull your plugs and see what they look like and we can go from there.

Do you smell oil or fuel or anything? Has your timing been changed?
'77 351w- Explorer EFI, 4R70W, 4-link, lockers, 4.56, 35" MT/Rs with a severe rock addiction.Confusedmokin:
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

[Image: sig2.jpg]
new plugs new wires about a month ago when I put those on it ran great but has slowely gotten worse. there is no pointer to time it so I did it by ear I know thats not the right way. I need to find a pointer. also when I put my centech harness in it had a ballast resistor my bronco didnt have one on it when I bought it. could this be reducing the spark to much. thus the loss of power
it is carberated 2 barrel autolite 2100
Pull a plug or two just to see the condition. I wonder if your brand new plugs are no so new anymore.

If your timing is wrong your new plugs may have slowly become fouled thus the slowly decreasing performance. Mashing the gas may be temporarily claring some of the plugs.

Are you running a mechanical or electric fuel pump?
'77 351w- Explorer EFI, 4R70W, 4-link, lockers, 4.56, 35" MT/Rs with a severe rock addiction.Confusedmokin:

You may have something going on with the accelerator pump circuit in the carb. Did this problem just start recently or has it been around for a while?
'72 TBA...
Mech. fuel pump new carb just adjusted the dizzy and drove it seems to be a little better. also took out a plug and it is a light brown and dry is that good or bad. know you no my mech. skillsConfusedupergrin:
thanks for the help. keep it coming
Try the 4 dollar accelerator pump replacement first.I replaced several in my old setup and actually used to keep a spare in the glovebox.You can find them in the Help section of the parts store
74 Sport Howell EFI & 33's sitting in the yard
73 104 in EB Buggy 5.0 SEFI ,C-4,38's Busy as Hell Building it right now.
00 Honda XR 650R For Sale.Someone buy this bad assed Bike ASAP.
03 Honda Shadow Spirit
Sounds like the plugs and the timing are OK so we can rule out fire. Gotta be fuel related. The carb guys sound like they have a good idea though.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  spit and sputter with 70 EB bigjake6 7 1,324 10-18-2009, 10:27 PM
Last Post: bigjake6