Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ignition Fuse Blown??
I decided to take Jessica's bronco for a ride today. I loaded the dogs up and off we go. After about driving 4 or 5 miles the Bronco died. Fortunately I was turning into the neighborhood when this happened so help was close. I tried to start and the battery was drained. I called Jessica and she came and got me and the dogs - we came came back in the truck and she pulled me back to the house.

When we got back I hooked up the jumper cables to the truck. It turned and turned but no start. First thing I tried was starter fluid to see if it was a fuel issue - still no start. Then I checked for fire - none! I checked the fuse and it was blown! What would cause the ignition fuse to blow? I've got a DUI HEI distributor and Centech harness that has never had any issues so it's none of those 30+ year old wire gremlins.

Could this be battery related? My yellow top optima died over the winter so I trickle charged it about a month ago and crank it at least once every couple weeks. It started today without any problems, but why would the battery be dead when it shut off on me?

The water temp. gauge wasn't working either (autometer gauge - not the stock cluster) for some reason :banghead: My other gauges were working fine Confusedcratchhe:
'74 Grocery Getter, '73 Project Buggy, '77 Parts Rig

[Image: Bannerpic.jpg]
Not sure why it blew, but the guage is where I would start. When the fuse was changed did it blow again? if not it sounds like something is rubbing and shorting out.
broncomatt
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
robert,
i think it is a losing battle. you should just throw the bronco away and get another. i will gladly come get it out of your way.:thefinger:
i would have to agree make sure no wires are rubbing and shorting out. being that it was the ignition fuse i would start with the power wire to the fuse box.
66 bronco, lots of tube, 302 boat motor, 435/203/205, 10.25 rear, 60 front, 42 iroks
That's the same thing that happened to me saturday. but I had a short in the engine compartment. simple fix but that probably doesn't help you any
Life is short------drive your bronco everyday!
I guess I'll start chasing wires. It didn't short again when I changed the fuse, but I only let it run +/-10 minutes.

I'm hoping the gauge is a faulty ground - I replaced the CD head unit about the same time as the battery and may have cut the ground when pushing the new unit in.

Bryan - Yep, it's a losing battle! They suck our wallets dry and still break down on us :rebel:

Found the problem Confusedupergrin:

Do you see what I see Confusedcratchhe:

The CD player is out, the mojave heater is out, the passenger seat is out (so my fat butt can lay on my back to get to it) - all just to get to this one wire :banghead:

Attached Files Image(s)

Is that a wire nut I see:rubeyes:.. Come on Robert no wire nuts on the Bronco..:hysterical:.. Glad that you got the problem solve..

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ford D.U.I. Ignition scbronco 14 7,766 09-06-2012, 06:03 PM
Last Post: SC74
  Blown Motor. NateMob 22 6,566 11-02-2011, 09:26 PM
Last Post: NateMob
  Ignition switch?? jollygrngiant 10 3,163 09-09-2011, 03:20 PM
Last Post: UTFLIWGYA
  Ignition missing and jumping tach jdowns67 5 2,068 03-23-2011, 01:02 PM
Last Post: jdowns67
  A good article about ignition timing jdowns67 0 2,168 10-17-2010, 08:52 PM
Last Post: jdowns67
  Pertronix Solid-State Electronic Ignition jrshepherd 6 5,206 11-08-2009, 11:26 PM
Last Post: jrshepherd
  Pertronix Ignition Problems. Mill Knob 13 3,374 09-09-2009, 01:32 PM
Last Post: SC74
  elec. Ignition berg bronco 4 1,872 01-25-2009, 08:36 PM
Last Post: berg bronco
  Ignition rcflyer23 7 3,140 11-02-2008, 08:15 PM
Last Post: rcflyer23