Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RJM 5.0 Harness Guys...
bout 6 months ago, i installed this harness and 5.0. for the most part things seem fine. however, im still without a tach. I ran a Autometer sport-comp monster tach with my old 302/pane for about a year. When i went efi, i planned to run the same tach. The harness has a green tach signal wire built into the harness. when I hook this wire to the tachometer(it shuts the motor off) There are only 4 wires on the tachometer(light,grnd,power,tach) the only one i disconnected was the one going to my old HEI distr. I also notice, if that green wire in the harness touches ground...it kills the motor too. so I called autometer, and they told me to bypass the harness tach wire...and go straight to the neg on the coil...but no luck. The tach is fried!!! I think the green wire screwed it up. nothing at all happened to the tachometer before it was hooked up to the new rjm harness. now im gonna have to ship it to autometer so they can look at it...but its gonna cost me money to fix it!

RJM wont answer the phone and i sent them an email. im curious if anyone has had a similar problem?? my buddys bronco is at my house with the same 5.0,harness and a tach(hooked to that green harness wire) and his is all working fine.

is it possible that green wire was not wired right in the harness and causing this issue??
77 built 306,Trickflow Cam/Alum Heads/dome pistons/10:1comp,nv3550,duff long arms,3.5" lift,family cage,protofab rear bumper,twin sticked, and 35KM2'sG.D.I.
I've got a weird problem with my tach as well. It works fine, until I hook up the wire for the tach light and turn the lights on, the tach quits working.

This is an EFI setup (using a reworked stock Ford harness) But you might try disconnecting the wire for the tach light and giving that try to see if the tach will start working again before boxing it up and sending it off.

Other than that, I gots nothin

Nick
'73 Bronco - trail modified
yeah, i did all kind of testing with out the shift light hooked up, as for the dash lights and tach housing light...they have always worked fine. just seems like everything worked awesome, til i hooked up that darn green wire in the harness...
77 built 306,Trickflow Cam/Alum Heads/dome pistons/10:1comp,nv3550,duff long arms,3.5" lift,family cage,protofab rear bumper,twin sticked, and 35KM2'sG.D.I.
Hey I offered to help you make a harness, bring it up some time. You know I love me some wiring work.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
broncomatt Wrote:Hey I offered to help you make a harness, bring it up some time. You know I love me some wiring work.

lol...yeah thanks matt, but my harness seems just fine.

...well i installed a new tach today and im happy to say the harness is in great working shape, however the ole tach is fried...so ill be shipping it back to autometer for a fix. just thought id post up some results...
so the green wire is ok to hook up?
'74 Grocery Getter, '73 Project Buggy, '77 Parts Rig

[Image: Bannerpic.jpg]
yeah, i guess some how my tach got screwed up and it was acting like a ground. which is why every time i hooked the harness to it...it killed the motor.
hmmmm. sounds familiar almost line..... someone said that once before. weird huh?
'77 351w- Explorer EFI, 4R70W, 4-link, lockers, 4.56, 35" MT/Rs with a severe rock addiction.Confusedmokin:
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

[Image: sig2.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rjm harness and drain on battery blazinchuck 1 736 11-02-2015, 05:55 PM
Last Post: Broncitis
  A few questions for you guys Jbass 20 3,099 03-24-2014, 05:21 PM
Last Post: blazinchuck
  B2 guys where you at? Broncin2 30 5,443 09-19-2011, 11:36 PM
  5-point harness with 2" webbing? chuzie 6 1,164 01-04-2011, 03:50 PM
Last Post: abunchofidiots
  new wiring harness option? blazinchuck 6 1,354 08-17-2010, 12:20 PM
  Wiring Harness LUKE/KANE7707 10 2,152 10-09-2009, 12:02 AM
Last Post: wormhole
  Hey you NC guys broncomatt 3 1,099 08-29-2009, 09:56 AM
Last Post: jarends
  b2 guys, this looks to be a good deal broncomania 5 1,612 10-30-2007, 08:55 PM
Last Post: krazybronco