Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My 76 repairs.
I figured I would start a new thread. The "installing new and used stuff" thread will continue with the non-essentials. This thread will cover all my essential to keep my money pit running and drivable.

I started this weekend with a simple intake manifold reseal, valve cover gaskets, and replace the harmonic balancer. I enlisted a buddy to help me with the project this weekend. We started last night with the tear down. We pulled the distributor for easier access. The old factory plug attached to it cracked to pieces as soon as I touched it. We took some pictures to document the process. Taking it all apart went easy except for the distributor harness. We got up early this morning and got back to it. We cleaned all the surfaces and installed the manifold. No problems. We cleaned the valve covers and heads and installed some new fancy valve cove gaskets (Felpro PernaDryPlus). No problems. Next we decided to get to the Balancer. Radiator came out, Shroud came out, fan came off, pulleys came off, and then the Balancer pulled off. No problems.

Now there's a Problem.

The timing cover seal was leaking, which I suspected. Unfortunately, I didn't realize that the seal is accessed from the back of the timing cover. I thought is was a press on like Chevy's. which means that the front of the engine needs to come off. Now I'm stuck. My buddy's garage pass has expired (anniversary dinner reservations), and I'm sitting here waiting on a tow truck to tow me back 40miles to Johns Island. UGH.
check your coil. if it gets hot and the internals start breaking down then it will shut off.
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a welder then your gonna need a new one!
Chuck to the rescue. I had the tow truck drop me at Chuck's house. We tore into the engine and removed everything off the front to get the timing cover off. I'm buying a new seal tomorrow and puting everything back together. It's been a long day. Thanks Chuck!:xyxthumbs:
Confusedhrug:

Attached Files Image(s)

aight guys...refresh my memory...can the oil pump rod drop pass the pump and into the pan??

Doug removed the distr. to install new intake gaskets, said they heard a "tink" went rotating the crank. well...I got the motor back together and fired it up...with a thumping noise now and no oil pressure. so my guess is-the oil pump rod fell out??

i hope this pan dont have to get dropped!!!
77 built 306,Trickflow Cam/Alum Heads/dome pistons/10:1comp,nv3550,duff long arms,3.5" lift,family cage,protofab rear bumper,twin sticked, and 35KM2'sG.D.I.
Yea it can fall into pan. if it didn't fall all way down u may still be able to get it with a magnet from dist hole. If not maybe fish it out through oil drain plug or drop pan. Good luck.
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a welder then your gonna need a new one!
Yes it can. That's why it has the little E clip around it from the factory. That way you can't lift it high enough to take it out of the oil pump when you pull the distributor. Apparently that one was missing.

Tim
74 Bronco Ranger halfcab w/toys: lockers f&r, wristed arm, C4, D20, hyd assist steering, 37"MTRs, warm 302. Capability, that's what I'm talkin' bout.
[Image: 2rwp56f.png]
oh man. that sucks. hopefully nothing got damaged in the blending process. let us know how it goes.
When we pulled the distributor the rod pulled right out with it. It didn't seem right when we got it out of the engine and the rod fell to the ground. There was no sign of an e-clip. I'm sitting in a hotel in Topeka, KS. and all I can think about is getting this fixed. Worst case scenario is...? engine rebuild.:banghead::crying::banghead::crying:Thank you for all your help Chuck! I'll be back ASAP.
Well Folks, It's all back together and running again!

Thanks Chuck!

I returned from Topeka, KS on Saturday. I called Chuck expecting to hear "So what do you want to do with this thing?" and all he said was "do you need a ride over hear?".I hung up the phone and headed over there. I thought well I guess we are going to tear into it. I arrived at his house and he had my truck sitting in the back yard. He had a grin on his face, opened the door and turned the key, VAROOOM!

He redid my Chitty intake gasket job. Apparently it was leaking at the rear coolant port, When we filled the radiator last weekend it was taking alot of water. The water ended up going right into the oil pan. He showed me the leaking gasket he removed that was soaked through. I seemed like we had it lined up and RTV'd good the first time, but I guess not.

He dropped the oil pan, fished out the Rod and reinstalled it with a new gasket.

He put the distributor back in, and adjusted the timing.

He even pressure washed the under carriage blasting off all the oil and grime from the constant oil leak I had for a while.

I'm sure I left out some of the process of all the work he did. I wish I could have been there to help. In all the years I have owned this truck I have never been happier with it than I was driving it home that night.

I drove the truck to work today (15miles). Starts right up, oil pressure is reading good. engine temp stayed at 170. good throttle response and the idle is smooth. All is well.

THANKS CHUCK!!!!!!!!!

The whole reason I started to do these repairs was to fix an oil leak and the excessive engine vibration. The oil leak is fixed but the new balancer did not fix the vibration. It seems that I will need to drop the trans to inspect the flexplate to make sure that I have the correct weight. I've got a couple of trips lined up for work in the coming weeks and I won't be driving much, So I think I will be leaving the lid on that can of worms for now.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  recent upgrades and repairs thread broncomania 50 7,544 04-24-2008, 10:04 PM
Last Post: chuzie