Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starts but won't run
Has anyone else had this problem? I have a 89 with a 351w and it was runnning fine and then it started acting like it was going to stall then it backfired, and did stall. It was kinda acting like it had a bad fuel filter, so i put another one in and it didn't help. I checked both fuel pumps and they seem to be fine and they are only a few years old anyway. It will start up quick, right away every time, just like normal, and start to run smooth but it will just shut off right after starting. If you hold the key in the start position with the starter going it will run longer. So i was thinking the ignition switch was bad so i put another one in and it didn't help. The igniton control module, Distributor, and coil seem ok as well. Any body have any ideas?
Two possible problems come to mind with that truck, fuel or spark. The high psi pump can go bad and only get enough fuel from the primmer pump to start but not keep running. The only way to check this is with a fuel press guage. Just feeling or listning is not a true test of a part.
The other problem I used to see with those was the ignition modual on the side of the dist. They usualy wouldent start but sometimes I have had them do this too. The best way to test loss of spark would be to pull one plug wire and put a spark light and then back to the plug. That way it doesnt gas wash the cyl. Have someone start the truck and moniter the light and the fuel press guage. One of the two should tell you where too look.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I had trouble similar, not not as bad, on my 90... Ended up being TPS. Any codes?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  t-shift t-case won't go into 4-lo scbronco 3 2,173 04-01-2014, 09:54 AM
Last Post: broncosbybart
  Won't charge damnskippy 28 3,996 10-10-2010, 09:32 PM
Last Post: chuzie
  Bronco sat...now won't start...Help! Pikapp691 5 2,640 04-13-2009, 08:06 PM
Last Post: Pikapp691