Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quest for NV3550
Kind of frustrated at this point. Was hoping to find a decent used NV3550 for what it was worth. Not sure if I'm using the word "worth" loosely, but apparently you can't touch a used one for less than $700. This seems INSANE to me!! Am I being unreasonable? I'm basing this on the fact that I can buy a brand new one online for around $1,000. Why should someone pay $700 for a trans with 88,000 miles on it when a new one costs $1,000. So far I've been hitting up all the local junk yards, but most of the small time yards don't have any Wrangler parts, and the big lots want top dollar. Bottom line I guess...if anyone knows a better source in the Fayetteville, NC area, or has any other good ideas on where to find one for cheaper, let me know. I have been waiting for a long time to do this swap, and have a very itchy trigger finger. I have the full adapter/conversion kit standing by. All I need is the trans.

Dale
give LKQ a call, look them up online. they should have one. now when you call them, they will charge more than if you happen to find one local. i know round here, if one shows up...it will be $125 for the tranny. we get a few wranglers in. but that tranny wasnt available til bout 2000...most before then would be that AX-15 or something like that.

you just have to sit at all the yards or beg them to give you a heads up if one comes in
77 built 306,Trickflow Cam/Alum Heads/dome pistons/10:1comp,nv3550,duff long arms,3.5" lift,family cage,protofab rear bumper,twin sticked, and 35KM2'sG.D.I.
yeah, they used the ax15 behind the 4.0 wranglers thorough 99 or so. the ax15 can be used and is cheaper, but IMHO no where near the trans that the 3550 is. I haven't seen any 3550's for under $650.
Go find a bread truck and rip out a NV 4500, sell the bread truck for scrap and get some of your money back?

On a serious note, I believe the NV 3550 came on Jeep Liberty as well.
[SIZE="2"]77 project bronco w/ 5.0 & c4, Sagi PS, 2 hard tops, eyebrow grill [/SIZE]
WANTED: auto column, gas tank, front/ rear seats
All good comments. I will check into the Jeep liberty also...I didn't know it also came w/ the 3550. As far as the 4500, I'm sure it is a good trans, but I kind of already spent $800 on all the adapter stuff I'll need for the job. Probably just stick to the plan. As far as mileage on a used trans, what should I try to stay under? How many miles is too much? Please keep the tips coming...

Dale
Have you tried http://car-part.com/? Its a pretty good site for locating and getting a general idea of price for used parts.
'72 TBA...
They also came in certain chevy trucks
68 Half cab
Wow, I guess $700 is a pretty good price for a 3550 w/ 88,000 miles. Guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet...
Crawdad Wrote:Go find a bread truck and rip out a NV 4500, sell the bread truck for scrap and get some of your money back?

On a serious note, I believe the NV 3550 came on Jeep Liberty as well.

Would the nv4500 be backing a Cummins 4bt? If so, one could really recoup some money out of an older bread truck. :beer:
nah, the 4500's weren't in any bread trucks that i know of. they were either TH400's retrofitted to a 4BT, like mine was, an Allison trans, or a 4 spd Ford trans. The 4500 trans that I have came out of a 2500 series Dodge Ram 4x4. The 4500 shifts like a truck trans. The 3550 is a much nicer street type trans.

unfortunately Frito Lay and Pepsi got rid of all their 4bt vans, from what I've heard. I was lucky to get one a few years back. Even luckier to get it home in one piece w/out it falling off of the rented tow dolly....

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  nv3550/clutch issues... blazinchuck 11 3,370 03-15-2012, 09:33 AM
Last Post: broncosbybart
  nv3550 blazinchuck 15 2,423 10-15-2011, 10:06 AM
Last Post: snipes243