Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
8274 Winch Mount
I'm using some of the PO's set-up, but the more of I use the more of it I end up modifying and looking back wish I had started from scrap.

There are 1-1/2" square tube receivers welded to the inside of each frame rail and solid 1-1/2" square stock holding the winch bottom plate. I've got an old 3/8" plate from a friend that an 8274 was mounted to that I'll weld vertical and the actual winch will mount to.

My question...

since the 8274 is so far off-set, should I leave the fairlead centered as shown in the pic, or should I cheat it over to the right so it's more centered in the grill?

Attached Files Image(s)

'74 Grocery Getter, '73 Project Buggy, '77 Parts Rig

[Image: Bannerpic.jpg]
Oh yea... the inside of the blue tape represents where I'm thinking about cutting the mounting plate. Any other suggestions before I cut it?

Is the spool centered on the fairlead? It looks like the fairlead is centered on the truck though. If both are indeed the case, I would leave it alone. The nature of the 8274 is slightly offset. I have learned to deal with the asymmetrical look and don't even notice it.
'77 351w- Explorer EFI, 4R70W, 4-link, lockers, 4.56, 35" MT/Rs with a severe rock addiction.Confusedmokin:
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

[Image: sig2.jpg]
I agree w/Chuzie on this one.
Yes, the spool is centered on the fairlead and the fairlead is centered on the truck.

I will leave it alone then and let it be off-set. Maybe this will allow more air around the drivers side anyway rather than moving it over and having two smaller air ports.

I've also got to figure out a way to disguise what will be the massive plate the winch is mounted to. I'm hoping I can wrap some tube around it or something to make it a little easier on the eye. With the narrowed grill, I don't have any room to taper the left and right sides of the bumper and won't have much room to swing a piece of tube without having some sharp bends - doable but not sure it will help the looks as much as a gradual sweeping tube line.

SC74 Wrote:I've also got to figure out a way to disguise what will be the massive plate the winch is mounted to. I'm hoping I can wrap some tube around it or something to make it a little easier on the eye. With the narrowed grill, I don't have any room to taper the left and right sides of the bumper and won't have much room to swing a piece of tube without having some sharp bends - doable but not sure it will help the looks as much as a gradual sweeping tube line.

How much of the material above the fairlead can be removed? i would start with a straight horizintal cut removing as much of that as possible, then once you have established what the center section can be, start looking at how you can add tube or plate to make modular design center section... possibly able to add wings or a stinger later...

Another option would be to break up all that flat real estate with a couple of shackle blocks, or even cut out some 4" holes to mount some offroad lights...

I like the beefy-ness of what you ahve so far, but all that plate above the fairlead is what is making it aesthetically awkward. another option is to bend a stinger, and then lay it over the plat so that the inner edge of the top most portion of the stinger is at the top of the plate above th fairlead. use that to draw a cut line, cut out the corners and weld in the stinger "hoop" so that is make a rolled edge for the plate. finished product should not be a stinger, but a rolled bend of tube horseshoeing the fairlead form the top. In my head, im placing the tube behind the plate, so its flush...

The picture may help... and as always, just a suggestion...

Attached Files Image(s)

My Build Thread-
http://www.carolinabroncos.com/forums/sh...php?t=3919

You're gonna have to be more specific... 11/12/11
I like that sketch. If the ends of the plate were cut like that and didn't overlap the headlights like it does now, it'd look a lot better. You could run some tube along the corners to protect the grille, if you did something like the above sketch.
I do see what you are saying and have had similar thoughts.

On the big plate, the winch mounts to the 4 holes - I only have the top two bolts holding the winch to the plate right now. I have to keep the 4 bolt holes, but am thinking about dropping it down in the middle. It's 3/8" plate and I'm going to triangle gusset it to the bottom plate on each side so I don't see support a problem at all if I cut some of that meat out of it.

Here is what a cardboard cut-out looks like. I cut it at the tape line and cut some of the "meat" out above the fairlead. I think it looks ALOT better and the extra massiveness was making it look more than it is. Still plan on adding some tube to accent it.

Also finished my new tierod today and started on the new upper radiator mounts - the original ones just weren't cutting it for me.

Attached Files Image(s)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Winch Reviews/Opinions Broncitis 18 2,486 06-30-2015, 11:20 PM
Last Post: chuzie
  MOUNT OLIVE HHHHEEEELLLPPPPP!!!!!! Bronco Biff 5 2,186 01-04-2014, 01:55 PM
Last Post: Bronco Biff
  Optima Battery Mount: Help me pick a top! Crawdad 12 2,487 01-30-2011, 08:58 PM
Last Post: blazinchuck
  RockSolid PreRunner Front Winch Bumper 92-96 Sweat 28 10,863 06-02-2010, 06:51 PM
Last Post: jollygrngiant
  winch rebuild blazinchuck 14 3,396 04-06-2008, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bucketobolts