Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
gas gauge help
So Im having issues with my gas gauge. Basically when it is half empty the gauge reads empty. I ohm it out the tank and got 30 ohms which is ruffly half empty. I took the wires off the back of the guage and it was roughly the same at the gauge. but the gauge still reads empty. Im thinking its the gauge which is odd cause its a newer autometer. Any thoughts?
68 Half cab
Google is your friend here.
Direct from Autometer:
FAQ ANSWER DETAIL
Fuel Level: My 73-10ohm gauge isn't working properly with my replacement sender?

The short sweep electric fuel gauge manufactured by Auto Meter for the Ford 73-10ohm range is calibrated for the original Ford factory supplied, non-linear, fuel level sender design. If you view the gauge dial itself, you will notice that the halfway point in the gauge is in fact not centered in the field in order for the calibration to match this special sender.

The Ford Fuel Level sensor with a 73-10ohm range operates with the following ohm ranges for Full, Half, Empty, and Below Empty:

Full: 10ohms
Half Tank: 25ohms
Empty: 50ohms
Pointer Width Below E: 73ohms

If you have replaced the original equipment Ford sending unit in your vehicle with an aftermarket sending unit, you may notice that the gauge will match the sending unit at the Full and Empty portions of the scale, but that the readings in between will not match up. The reason for this is that some aftermarket senders operating with the 73-10ohm range now utilize a linear movement instead of the original non-linear scale. The comparative ohm reading difference for Full, Half, and Empty have been supplied below for your reference.

Full: 10ohms
Half Tank: 41ohms
Empty: 73ohms

As you can see these numbers differ radically from those of the factory Ford sending units, and have a drastic effect upon the gauge readings.

In the event that you have this situation, we recommend one of four options:

OPTION 1 You can attempt to seek an original equipment fuel level sending unit directly from Ford for your vehicle.

OPTION 2 If you have an Auto Meter short sweep electric gauge, you may send it into us for service and we can modify the gauge to work with the after market linear sender. The cost is $25.00 + return shipping, as long as there is nothing else wrong with the gauge. (prices subject to change without notice)

OPTION 3 You may use the Auto Meter Full Sweep Programmable fuel level gauge and opt to use the Custom Calibration section of the gauge instructions. The Programmable version is not available in all series, but can be designed and built through the Auto Meter Custom Shop in nearly any standard incandescent lit series (meaning no through-the-dial LED lit designs in Custom Shop). See the following link for Custom Shop http://www.ampcustomshop.com or contact us directly at 866-248-3657 for alternate options:

OPTION 4 You may purchase one of our 240-33ohm scaled gauges and the matching #3262 sending unit. If this sending unit will not fit your specific tank type, you will likely have to retain your existing sender to serve as a fuel pick up source, and then create a new hole on a flat surface on the top of your tank for mounting the new sender. We recommend the 240-33ohm units because they are a broad and fairly linear scale, and provide a very accurate reading of the fuel level in the tank.
'73 Bronco - trail modified
A good read and will likely help someone else down the road. Thanks Nic
After a few phone calls. I need the linear gauge, so got one on the way hope it works.
68 Half cab
What a raw deal.

Sent from my GS3 on Cyanogenmod with the older / better version of Tapatalk!
'77 351w- Explorer EFI, 4R70W, 4-link, lockers, 4.56, 35" MT/Rs with a severe rock addiction.Confusedmokin:
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

[Image: sig2.jpg]
Thanks for posting that up. Good info but that sucks.
post up what you find
77 built 306,Trickflow Cam/Alum Heads/dome pistons/10:1comp,nv3550,duff long arms,3.5" lift,family cage,protofab rear bumper,twin sticked, and 35KM2'sG.D.I.
Honestly haven't touched it this week. Had a good friend and wheeling buddy pass away this week so we drove to Indiana this week. Gonna try tomorrow to check it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
68 Half cab
sorry to hear that bro
77 built 306,Trickflow Cam/Alum Heads/dome pistons/10:1comp,nv3550,duff long arms,3.5" lift,family cage,protofab rear bumper,twin sticked, and 35KM2'sG.D.I.
blazinchuck Wrote:sorry to hear that bro

Appreciate it
68 Half cab

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DIY Gas Tank? knoxville714 3 3,313 06-22-2016, 11:30 AM
Last Post: broncomatt
  Cleaning an old gas tank wepuckett 11 7,779 09-11-2014, 09:44 PM
Last Post: broncosbybart
  Got Gas?? damnskippy 5 3,271 02-20-2011, 10:36 AM
Last Post: josephitguy
  Question: Trans lines and Gas tank jrshepherd 0 1,410 08-24-2009, 10:22 PM