Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pictures from my SAS
Back in the summer of 2006, I decided to jump in and complete a solid axle swap. It's not perfect by any means, but it has held together for about 15,000 miles now. There are several "adjustments" that I would like to make if I was to do it again, but they're minor enough that I won't bother with them right now. I can try to find part numbers for something if anyone is interested.

So I started with a Dana 44 out of a 1979 Bronco that I located through a fellow ECBR member. $200 later, all of this followed me home. Most of it I could reuse for my application. Some just had to be replaced (like the steering parts)

[Image: sas-finally-home.jpg]

And my bronco when I started. It already had a 6" rough country lift and 35" Ground Hawgs. Gotta love that droopy TTB look!

[Image: sas-start-1.jpg]

First order of business is to remove the TTB. Yes, i know the jackstand "extentions" are dangerous--really. Notice how the TTB looks as it sits on the floor. I'm pretty sure that's the same geometry it held while hooked to my frame, too!

[Image: sas-start-2.jpg]
[Image: sas-start-3.jpg]

The obligitory "TTB Salute"

[Image: sas-finger.jpg]

Now the fun begins. Break out your finest angle grinder and/or air chissel and remove the stock coil buckets. I replaced them with the 1979 coil buckets. After careful measuring and pondering and consulting several of my old Trig text books, I just moved these buckets as far foward as I could on my 1995 frame. Have fun drilling the 6 holes per coil bucket.

[Image: sas-bucket-driver.jpg]

Passenger side

[Image: sas-bucket-passenger.jpg]

While that was happening, my D44 was at Powertrain, Inc in Savannah getting re-geared with 4.56 gears and a Detroit TrueTrac. I blame my ignorance on the subject of regearing axles on my taking it to them. They actually did decent work, but charged me about twice what it was worth. Oh, well. Live and learn.

You can also see my Bent & Twisted radius arm extentions that are welded onto the stock '79 radius arms. Nope, I didn't box them. Nope, they're still not bent.

The springs are 6" Skyjacker coils for a 78/79 application. I want to say I used 2* c-busings

[Image: d44-complete.jpg]

For my next trick, I bolted up the springs to determine where to mount the radius arm brackets.

[Image: d44-install-1.jpg]

Of course, they ended up in the middle of my transmission crossmember on the passenger side--so I cut it. I meant to go back and fab up a replacement, but I honestly forgot. I used the factory '79 radius arm brackets. Several people asked me if i layed the face of the brackets back to 23*. No, they're 100% stock. For what I do, they work fine.

[Image: trans-x-member-notching-1.jpg]

[Image: passenger-side-radius-arm-mount-1.jpg]

The drivers side wasn't as bad.

[Image: radius-arm-complete.jpg]

For front shock mounts, I used a Ford shock mount for a 80's-90's F250/350. The mounts are about $18 each from your Ford dealer. I'm running the Cage shocks in the front. 18" travel, I think...

Brake lines are Skyjacker braided stainless steel for a 8" lift application. Instead of running one line to the hard line on the axle, I just ran one line to each caliper.

[Image: img_0785.jpg]

For steering, I used (new) stock 78/79 left & right tie rod ends and a 1995-ish F350 4x4 drag link. I reused the drop pitman arm from my Rough Country lift.

[Image: img_0779.jpg]

The trac bar is the Superlift adjustable model.

[Image: img_0794.jpg]

For the upper trac bar mount, I reused the lower 1/2 of the stock trac bar mount. I test fit it to get the proper angle, and then cut the mount to the correct length. It's welded to the bottom of the frame with a couple of gussets and a brace that is welded to the engine crossmember. It's not pretty, but it works.

[Image: img_0796.jpg]

And here it is back on it's tires again

[Image: img_0798.jpg]

And that's it in a nutshell. Hope this help someone...if nothing else, it kept you from actually having to do work for a couple of minutes :xyxthumbs:
'95 Bronco -- 351W-435-205, D44 SAS, Cromos, Truetrac, E-Locker
thats sweet!! I love those SAS!!!!!! the way they should have come from the factory,Chuck
77 built 306,Trickflow Cam/Alum Heads/dome pistons/10:1comp,nv3550,duff long arms,3.5" lift,family cage,protofab rear bumper,twin sticked, and 35KM2'sG.D.I.
Nice job! :clap: How long did it take you to complete?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
79 FS 351M, Trac loc HPD44, Detroit 9", 4.56's, 37 Toyo's, 17" Helo Maxx 6
Wow that was awesome :notworthy: good work...looks like you have enough room in your shop...Confusedupergrin:
Waiting to build or BUY another legend! :thefinger:
Always an EB fan, lover and freak :notworthy:

1985 Yoda 4Runner :xyxthumbs:
jollygrngiant Wrote:Nice job! :clap: How long did it take you to complete?

A couple of months. It wasn't my DD, so I'd only work on it over the weekends...then i'd get frustrated at the trial-and-error aspect of it, so i'd leave it sitting for a couple weeks. All in all, I probably could have done it in about 3 weekends if my ADD hadn't kept kicking in :hysterical:

Oh, i forgot...I also had to take a couple weeks off when i tried to break my finger with a 3lb mini-sledge. It caused me to sit out for a while until I could hold something with that hand again. I've got a picture here somewhere.... :popc1:
Dude, you did not post a pic of the totally awesome power steering cooler.
Guess I will have to go digging around.

Nice work though.:biggthumpup:
Traveler Wrote:Dude, you did not post a pic of the totally awesome power steering cooler.
Guess I will have to go digging around.

Nice work though.:biggthumpup:

Since you asked...

Here's your picture of my power steering cooler. The one that I didnt' relocate after trimmed the TTB crossmember

[Image: img_6533.jpg]
Ogeechee 4x4 Wrote:The obligitory "TTB Salute"

[Image: sas-finger.jpg]

That's how I said good bye to my TTB in my B2, but I waited till mine was busted before I did my SAS. I used one from a '79 FSB and with alot of imagination it works, and works pretty good.

GOOD JOB !!!!
'85 Bronco II 7" lift
BW1350 doubled 85:1 final crawl
Hydro-assist steering
Dana 44 front lincoln locked
Ford 9" rear trac-loc
Mile Marker 8000# winch
http://www.gulchesorvpark.com
nice work. what happened to the housing you got from me ??????
East Coast Surplus & Tactical
336-674-3868
broncomania Wrote:nice work. what happened to the housing you got from me ??????

It's safely tucked away in the back of my garage. I bought it to SAS my older F150, but i never got it running well enough to dump that kinda $$$ into the suspension. So your housing is just sitting here chillin...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  8 lug and SAS Ron Burgandy 4 1,958 09-25-2012, 12:24 PM
Last Post: Ron Burgandy
  cutting edge suspension for SAS DocLewis 8 4,495 03-25-2008, 11:34 PM
Last Post: johnski