Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have an odd carb swap question
Sooo... I have a '89 F150 that i've fought to make run correctly for the last couple of years. It's a 302, 5 speed and i want to take all the EFI off and install a factory 2bbl intake/carb that i have sitting here waiting to be rebuit.

What else will i need to change out? Off the top of my head i'm thinking a fuel pressure regulator (keep the elect. intank pump), dist., coil, and the ignition module box-thingy...

Am I overlooking anything major?
'95 Bronco -- 351W-435-205, D44 SAS, Cromos, Truetrac, E-Locker
The pressure regulator can get expensive. I swapped a carbed 351W into a 90 Mustang and left the fuel pump in the tank. The regulator I bought was $100 or so from Summit. Then I found out I needed special fittings for it (I forget what they are called but they come in red and blue colors and are some hi tech aluminum). To use the fittings I had to run braided fuel line ($6/ft). Once it was all in and done I like it. I had to add an electronic ignition since the computer was completely taken out of the loop (no injectors to cycle, etc). The best and cheapest way to do the ignition is a four pin ......ummmmm......errrrrrrrrrr.........ahhhhhhhh GM HEI igntion module (about $15 anywhere as opposed to buying something like an MSD ignition and one is about as good as the other). You should be able to use the same distributor but I would buy a hotter coil cause these GM HEI ignitions are pretty hot.

That's all that comes to mind right now since your truck is a 5 speed.
Ron

1989 FSB Custom 5.0 5spd 3.55LS (and a few other Ford trucks.)
It might be easier and cheaper to fix the EFI.

What is it doing??
It's hard to describe. Sometimes I look at it from two different point of views:
#1)Even for a 302, it has no power...torque, i guess. Top speed is between 65-70. Won't hold speed with any headwind or uphill section of road

#2)It's almost like only 1/2 of the throttle works. Idle-1/2 throttle acts "normal"-ish, but if I press further than 1/2 throttle, nothing changes. RPM's don't raise, engine tone doesn't change. When I let off the throttle, i can almost feel (imaginary maybe?) a veeery small surge as the throttle passes 1/2 way again...

I've checked codes. It says something about EGR. I've swapped the EGR and sensor from my bronco (yeah, the 302 & 351 is different), it idled at around 2000 rpm, but still had same problem of non-interstate speeds.

I'm sure it's something simple, but I have no idea how to pinpoint what.
There is no easy "this is it solution bu in '89 they used a stupid two fuel pump system.
A lift pump in the tank, low pressure like 15 psi, and a booster pump inside the frame rail.
The engine will run off the booster pump alone.
Low fuel pressure will not throw a check engine light or error code.
So might be worth a shot to check your fuel pressure.

Has it always ran like that? this is something new right?
It's ran like this since i bought it in 2002.

About 3 years ago, i ran it out of gas (oops) and burned up the in-tank pump so it has a new pump there. I've checked the fuel pressure at the rail and I want to say it was in the 30's at idle. That was a couple years ago, too. I do remember it was in the acceptable range according to what I could find on FSB. Would this rule out the pump on the frame being bad? I've never touched it.
It could be weak, not wouldn't entirely fix your problem.

Honestly, if it ran like that since you got it, then it may not be capable of more.

Our '96 C150 is gutless, it is stock for the most part. It was just never meant to do more.
I'm just out of ideas about it. When i bought it for $300, the PO had used it as a parts truck. I put a junkyard radiator, harmonic balancer, fan, and slip-yoke housing (for the transfer case) on it. *IF* it still has the original engine, then it has at least 200K on it. The compression is in the 120's. I don't know if it is the original engine (or even what it could have come out of if it's not) because when i got it home, the motor mounts and bell housing bolts were all hand-tight. It has a funky true dual exhaust that was on when i got it. Looks to be no bigger than 2" pipe and is definitely not mandrel bent. No cats at all.

I really just want the truck so that i can have a pickup that i don't care about the aesthetics of and to pull a jonboat to a dirt landing at a nearby river that I don't feel comfortable leaving my '04 parked at.

I still may look at swapping a carb onto it as i get the money and time. I found a SBF 1-wire HEI dizzy on ebay for $60 or so.

It's not something I have to do right away, however. I mean, I've owned it for 6 years....what's a couple more months?
Not sure I could find it, but I have a cast iron 4 barrel intake for a small block somewhere. I have carbs but they are all in need of rebuild.
Can't help ya on the dizzy though.
No worries. Thanks for all the help, tho!!

Actually, I already have a factory 2bbl intake and a 2150 from a 77 bronco. They need paint and rebuilding, but i think it should be fine for my intended purposes.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trailer question krazybronco 7 3,898 11-30-2009, 12:39 PM
Last Post: josephitguy
  Tow Bar Question 2000F150SAS 13 3,610 07-14-2009, 06:42 AM
Last Post: 2000F150SAS
  carb question Bronconrocks 6 2,716 09-12-2008, 10:34 AM
Last Post: Timstrk
  460 question etc Badass 13 2,537 07-07-2008, 08:43 AM
Last Post: trkbilder