Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5.0 Serp. Conversion
The '73 I bought had a 5.0 running a carb and the Bronco accessories. The PO included the original 5.0 intake with the Bronco when I bought it. I've since bought a harness.

I originally planned on using the Bronco accessories, but as always one thing leads to another. Since this is going to be my trail rig I decided to run hydroboost brakes. I got a deal on a Sag pump and got it. I started looking for a bracket for the sag pump to work with the v-belt and found BC's that will also fit the AC compressor. The more I think about it, the more I would like to have on-board air (the snow ball effect!). If not now, I'm thinking ahead and would like to leave it as an easy upgrade for later.

I did some research on Classic about v-belt compressors and found that a pre-88 (v-belt) Ford van would have the York compressor and a sag pump. I found a '83 Ford van with both, but the yard wanted $150 for the comp. and 2 brackets.

Even with these brackets, I'm not sure I could make it work. How would I route a v-belt to the AC - could I run it directly off of the Sag pump pulley - just get a 2 groove sag v-belt pulley. The only time it would really pull power is when it is filling the air tank which would be while I'm in park or neutral and not using the PS.

OR should I just go to a serp set-up and be done with it? I know that it would be a Sanden compressor, but no big deal. I need to find a donor motor in the junkyard with all of the 5.0 accessories and brackets. How much should I expect to pay for all of this? I don't plan on going back to the same yard with the van - he likes his parts more than I do!

What else will I need to make the mustang serp. set-up work? A new water pump and lower hose - is that all?

The next snow ball - high output alternators????? I'll open that can of worms in another thread!

Thanks,
Robert
'74 Grocery Getter, '73 Project Buggy, '77 Parts Rig

[Image: Bannerpic.jpg]
Robert, the thing to remember about small block Ford is that there are several different front set ups. Early Broncos use the early style pass side inlet pump with a 3 bolt balancer. This is the same set up as most 289's and 302's in cars till about 1970. Then the 4 bolt balancer and drivers inlet pump appeared. Little things like timing pointers are on different sides of the cover. Then around '82 Ford changed the imbalance on the balancer to 50 oz. Note that the brackets from a pass inlet will not work on a drivers and vice versa. Also the brackets from a 351W are made for the taller deck height and will not work on a 302.

Your safest bet would be to find a complete set up and get everything. If you decide on a serp belt, remember the water pump turns backwards so get it also. They say that the mid-late 90's Explorers is the set up to use. It fits tighter to the block and gives more room between the the radiator.
I did a stang set up on Mel's red rig w/ a 351w. It worked well once I got it setup right. I had to use a 1/2" fan spacer to run chuck's derrale fan.This put the fan and radiator very close. it worked but I never realy like how close they were. Without the spacer the fan would hit the idler tentioner.

You'll need the lower cross over hose and a different upper hose if you plan to run the stock radiator or you can get spendy and buy a 5.0 conversion radiator and run stang hoses
66 Rockrawler, 66 RestoMod
[SIGPIC] [/SIGPIC]
I think I am going to try to find a donor motor and pull everything off of it. I have also heard that the explorers give more room for the radiator, but is there a sag bracket out there that lines up with the other explorer stuff? I think that thunderbirds and marquis have the same set-up as explorers.

I'll be tubing my front clip and if need be will space my radiator further forward to gain any needed space (so long I can find a hose that offers that flexibility).

Thanks for the help - I plan on calling some salvage yards today to find another 5.0. If all goes well I'll have some parts to start working with this weekend.

I believe you can modify the aluminum bracket for the sag pump. I think there is a Tech article on ClassicBronco.com about it. If you have trouble finding a set up, there is a yard just north of me in Lexington, NC that deals with nothing but Rangers, BII, and Explorers. He is pretty reasonable on his prices. I can get his # or check for you if you need.
BUCKETOBOLTS Wrote:I believe you can modify the aluminum bracket for the sag pump. I think there is a Tech article on ClassicBronco.com about it. If you have trouble finding a set up, there is a yard just north of me in Lexington, NC that deals with nothing but Rangers, BII, and Explorers. He is pretty reasonable on his prices. I can get his # or check for you if you need.

Thanks Aaron I'll let you know if I need it. I found a '96 Explorer in a yard today and they said I could have all of the brackets, pulley's, & accessories for $250-$300. I figure that's not too bad of a bad deal. I may see how much he'll take for the whole motor.

I put a post on Classic about running a sag with the explorer stuff and it sounds like the stock explorer ps pump is worth keeping and maybe selling the sag I have. They say I'll need the front cover too - wonder why?

Seems like the top of the water pump was shaped different. I don't think that it has a fuel pump boss either. You may have to run an electric. Or keep snow balling and run propane.
i run the explorer serp setup and love it. i had to get the new rad, but its well worth it. Ron Morris Performance makes a crossover tube to work with the stock radiator, but it didn't work too well with my bodylift.
ALMOST READY!!!!!! ELWOOD
ELWOOD Wrote:i run the explorer serp setup and love it. i had to get the new rad, but its well worth it. Ron Morris Performance makes a crossover tube to work with the stock radiator, but it didn't work too well with my bodylift.

How much did the new radiator set you back? Where did you get it?

Thanks,
Robert

I wont chime in on the serp setups as there are many parts to interchange and some wont work with others. I am also not a fan of the the serp setup, if the belt brakes its all dead. You can throw a v belt and still have the others. I have also gotten home on a pair of my wifes nylons :oops: because I have the v belts.
If you switch to the water pump that uses a drivers side lower hose you can get a griffen or Howe radiator for about $200, just need to modify some brackets. (stock eb uses a chevy style, new ford desine uses a ford style).
As for altinator I like the 130 amp units found in the explorers and crown vics. Some mustangs too. BcBroncos has a great wiring diagram on their site on how to wire a 3G. If you like the stock size alt there is a 105 amp upgrade to the stock 65 amp alt. From Quick start, Works great too.
Broncomatt
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cool Squealing SERP belt!!! Out of ideas chuzie 2 2,494 01-07-2014, 08:32 PM
Last Post: chuzie
  Chevy Conversion Brake Calipers Jbass 10 2,239 02-15-2013, 07:56 PM
Last Post: Jbass
  ebay radiator(5.0 conversion) install... blazinchuck 8 5,073 10-15-2012, 10:30 PM
Last Post: firefighter2134
  2WD Conversion ??? lobo1117 4 1,296 05-10-2009, 09:28 PM
Last Post: Autobot
  302 EFI conversion blazinchuck 30 4,658 04-17-2009, 09:24 AM
Last Post: Bighorn
  cherokee wiper conversion broncomatt 2 1,060 09-11-2008, 03:27 PM
Last Post: chuzie