Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
302 EFI conversion
I'm geting a sweet 302 EFI motor complete with all accs,wiring,computer. the motor is super low miles. Bighorn has given me some insight on what i might need. I will paste that here now... I plan to run the np435 with this as well. I have a 19gal fuel cell that will be in the bed. I guess i need to know just what all i will need for this swap.
Quote: Default Re: 302 efi
Chuck,

If you're sticking with the EFI you'll need to use the stock TFI dizzy. It has a HEI stator incorporated in as well as the TFI which tells the coil when to fire. It's a 50 oz imbalance so you'll need a 50 oz imbalance flywheel. Most any manual 5.0 bronco or mustang would have it. I don't know to much about the 435 and the clutch but you'll have to make sure the bolt pattern for the clutch will work with that flywheel. Same SBF bolt pattern.

The harness is the most complicated part. The nice part about the factory EFI is that you hook all the sensors up, set the timing to 10 tdc and it does the rest of the tuning in the computer by learning your engine. Your sensors are a key component. If you're not sure about it working, replace it, as they generally are cheap and can really screw up the mix.

Here's some links to EFI swap in the Bronco......

http://fordfuelinjection.com/Inject_your_horse1.pdf

http://fordfuelinjection.com/Inject_your_horse2.pdf

http://fordfuelinjection.com/Inject_your_horse3.pdf

http://fordfuelinjection.com/Inject_your_horse4.pdf

http://fordfuelinjection.com/Inject_your_horse5.pdf

If you are going carb you can use the DUI ignition. Remember it has a different firing order than an early 302...it uses the 351w order i beleive. I've got it written down but I can't remember.....I haven't gotten that far. You will have to change the drive gear on the dizzy to match the steel roller cam or it will eat the gear and trash the engine.
Thanks,Chuck
77 built 306,Trickflow Cam/Alum Heads/dome pistons/10:1comp,nv3550,duff long arms,3.5" lift,family cage,protofab rear bumper,twin sticked, and 35KM2'sG.D.I.
consider:

fuel accumulator
HP pump
O2 sensors and bungs
high pressure fuel lines

ditch the emmissions sensors and you will need to fab or purchase an egr bypass circuit to eliminate the degraded mode and engine light.

Wiring is the real pig on the project so good diagrams are key. I found it VERY helpful to have the factory wiring diagram for the donor vehicle to complement the wiring guidance from Ford Fuel injection and classicboncos.com tech data.

Throttle linkage may become a player since you have been a carb man so maybe give lokar a call.

if i think of more i will let you know.
'77 351w- Explorer EFI, 4R70W, 4-link, lockers, 4.56, 35" MT/Rs with a severe rock addiction.Confusedmokin:
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

[Image: sig2.jpg]
If your are going to mount the EFI in a fuel cell in the bed a good option is to run the two pump system. It's a low pressure high volume pump that sends it to a High pressure pump mounted closer to the engine. Alot of crawlers use this system with a accumlator right before the HP pump to prevent starving the engine of fuel during off camber manuevers. It also reduces the amount of high pressure hose that needs to be run. With GT fuel rails you will need a return line back to the fuel cell. Unused fuel will circulate back to the fuel cell in a constant loop. Later explorers had a returnless sytem but an exotic variable pump.

There has been some success with running a F250 electric frame mounted pump for the HP pump and running only one pump. This a good option but you need to make sure that the fuel cell pickup won't starve the pump in off camber work.

I'm going to run BC's intank pump in my rig.
I have had this on mine and install a few for others. I have a good list of what I used plus all the wiring diagrams in a book I'll bring with me to DC's.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
If your fuel cell is high enough I wonder if you will need a LP primer pump. The only reason I have mine is because I am running a regular tank. A big accumulator should save your bacon on the HP pump with the rock crawling.

Forgot to mention you need to consider PS adaptors/hoses from the stang to the bronco box.

Water hoses may also be a factor considering your radiator ports may be reversed.
'77 351w- Explorer EFI, 4R70W, 4-link, lockers, 4.56, 35" MT/Rs with a severe rock addiction.Confusedmokin:

The 19 gallon fuel cell is highly overrated I will trade you my stock tank for the fuel cell and I know you will be better off. :biggthumpup:
Waiting to build or BUY another legend! :thefinger:
Always an EB fan, lover and freak :notworthy:

1985 Yoda 4Runner :xyxthumbs:
Look out JP is scamming again.

You will definetly want the low press(primer) and high press pumps. Other wise it can starve out at times. For water hoses, you can use the mustang water pump, but you have to change the rad to match. I used the bronco pump, and the sagina pump and had a high psi hose made. Cant say which tank will work best, in mine I have a custom tank with a return port in it, all the others we used BC or wildhorses tank. I liked the F250 pump, with a primmer in the tank or at the tank.
I would leave the emsions stuff intact, besides setting codes you can hurt the performance some. Since your running the 435 you will still set a speed senser code. I used a yellow led with a togle switch to ground. That way I could shut the light off when I didnt need it, and turn it on if I needed to count codes.
To install the O2 sensors, I used a weld in bung( offten call an anti fowler) in my headers.
When I did these for customers I laid the harness out on the floor, stripped it apart and reassembled to fit on the broncos. I mounted my ecm in the fire wall next to the brake master(but I have no dash ducts). On the others we mounted in an amo can to keep it water tight.
I'll see if I have any pics of mine, I know I have some paper photos of when I did it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Another option since your are running the mustang motor is to use a bi directional water pump. Then you can use the stock radiator. That water pump is sold by BC and a few others.

http://www.bcbroncos.com/store/product_i...cts_id=109
as for the steering...i was gonna use the nice pump/remote reservoir...off the FS bronco.
77 built 306,Trickflow Cam/Alum Heads/dome pistons/10:1comp,nv3550,duff long arms,3.5" lift,family cage,protofab rear bumper,twin sticked, and 35KM2'sG.D.I.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Chevy Conversion Brake Calipers Jbass 10 2,236 02-15-2013, 07:56 PM
Last Post: Jbass
  Efi and stock fuel tank snipes243 3 1,264 12-11-2012, 03:28 PM
Last Post: Carolinaoffroad
  ebay radiator(5.0 conversion) install... blazinchuck 8 5,060 10-15-2012, 10:30 PM
Last Post: firefighter2134
  EFI wiring harnesses BucknEB 16 4,137 07-04-2012, 08:32 PM
Last Post: broncomatt
  1991 351W EFI Question Crawdad 4 1,951 03-27-2012, 09:05 AM
Last Post: broncosbybart
  who's running 302-4r70w-zf-d20 j shift-twin sticks? chuzie 2 1,004 12-11-2011, 10:14 PM
Last Post: chuzie
  5.0 EFI upgrades? blazinchuck 4 1,317 07-25-2011, 10:57 PM
Last Post: nhopman
  1973 Bronco 302 mcgyver 6 2,160 01-30-2011, 10:58 PM
Last Post: Crawdad
  water pump v8 302 torque spec jrshepherd 5 3,180 11-13-2010, 10:45 PM
Last Post: Casey835
  Carburetor and intake manifold 1974-302-auto jrshepherd 6 2,988 03-04-2010, 02:08 PM
Last Post: jrshepherd