Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
C4 Transmission rebuild
Gents I'm new to the forum so thanks to any of you that can help. I have a 73 302 with a C4 tranny. The tranny needs rebuilding and I need a recommendation on a good repair shop near Cary or Raleigh.
Pup Wrote:Gents I'm new to the forum so thanks to any of you that can help. I have a 73 302 with a C4 tranny. The tranny needs rebuilding and I need a recommendation on a good repair shop near Cary or Raleigh.

Bucketobolts on this forum lives up there and is our resident C4 expert I think ... he will chime in soon ... there is also a great thread that "chuzie" did when he rebuilt his c4 ... anyway they will chime in soon ... :biggthumpup:

Welcome and lets see some PICS !!! Confusedmokin:
Waiting to build or BUY another legend! :thefinger:
Always an EB fan, lover and freak :notworthy:

1985 Yoda 4Runner :xyxthumbs:
yep Aaron built mine did an awesome job. (bucketobolts)
East Coast Surplus & Tactical
336-674-3868
I don't know of any shops in the Raleigh area. But I'd be glad to discus anything and everything about C4 transmissions.

Aaron
(704)433-8894
'72 TBA...
Aaron

Thanks for your post. I have a number of questions and needs relating to the drive train. It feels as thought he transmission is slipping between 1st and 2nd. I am also a little concerned about the rear differential. The truck only has 114000 original miles. Can I call you after five or sometime tomorrow?

Dan
That would be fine.

It is quite possible that it is slipping between 1 and 2. The intermediate band adjustment could be slipping. Could have the servo piston seals beginning to leak by causing slow application. But with the mileage on the tranny, I'd go ahead and overhaul for piece of mind. Will also be better to fix it before it blows the band off and deposits a bunch of friction material in the cooler lines and cooler.
'72 TBA...
bucketobolts Wrote:I don't know of any shops in the Raleigh area. But I'd be glad to discus anything and everything about C4 transmissions.

Aaron
(704)433-8894

Rebuilding my c4 this summer... Aaron, what do you think of this writeup from the classic trucks dudes? Worth anything? :popc1:

Thanks,
JayT
Rebuilding is pretty easy from a technical standpoint but there is a learning curve involved however, the entire process is quite rewarding. I did everything myself in my garage with mostly basic tooling. I did make sure to invest in a good torque wrench, caliper, and dial indicator. The only thing i farmed out was the removal and installation of the bushing kit. I too will be happy to answer any questions you may have should you decide to do this on your own.
'77 351w- Explorer EFI, 4R70W, 4-link, lockers, 4.56, 35" MT/Rs with a severe rock addiction.Confusedmokin:
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

[Image: sig2.jpg]
No attachment on my last post... damn. I'll repost it later today.
I have done some, if your just going to swap out the clutches and bands its not hard at all. If your going with all new bushings and thrust washers you need to be carefull about assembly height. IF you dont get it right the first time you can burn up which ever peice has too much pressure on it.
In my case it was 2'nd gear planetary set:banghead:
When I went too school for trannys, our instructor had a few things he burned into our heads. Clean work area, watch out for the case as its very sharp, test everything with air before you put it back in the car.
Broncomatt
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Quick Transmission Fluid Question 2000F150SAS 1 1,029 08-06-2011, 03:49 PM
Last Post: jrshepherd
  Engine and transmission replacement from a Explorer Shark 30 3 1,071 04-26-2010, 10:06 AM
Last Post: Bighorn
  Just finished rebuild, have one last issue abletobecain 2 1,400 01-25-2010, 01:38 PM
Last Post: blazinchuck
  Looking for a solid body for a rebuild gigabytethis 0 1,414 05-31-2008, 04:43 PM
Last Post: gigabytethis
  winch rebuild blazinchuck 14 3,399 04-06-2008, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bucketobolts