Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transmission and Transfer Cases in Ford Fullsize trucks...
Ok guys, I'm looking to find out what kind of 5 speed tranny's and 4wd transfer cases were put in Ford fullsize trucks and the fullsize bronco. Basically any 5 speed and 4wd t-case combo that was put behind a 302 V8.

I'm doing research etc in preperation for a possible V8 conversion in a Bronco II, and since I've never owned a Ford fullsize, I've never really paid attention to what kinda drivetrain they had in em! So I figured some of you fella's would certainly know!

There have been very few 5-speed V8 Bronco II conversions done, because the normal method is to get a T-5 World Class tranny from a Mustang, get an Advance Adaptors kit, and adapt it to fit the standard t-case. The idea is that then you don't have to modify the driveline. This is however, a veryy expensive way to go, which puts most people off!

There are 4 major problems with this idea.
1- The Advance Adaptor kit costs about a grand.
2- Advance Adaptors apparently doesn't make the adaptor anymore.
3- The idea is good, but some people report having to modify their driveline anyway, depending on the placement of the V8.
4- The T-5 tranny has a notoriously weak 1st and 5th gear, and doesn't tend to like over about 300hp. In a truck where I'll be off-roading and possibly towing, there will be even more stresses and strains on it, and I don't want to blow a gear out on the thing.

The only advantage I can find for the T-5 over a Ford fullsize tranny and t-case is that the T-5 is supposed to shift a bit better than the other manual trannys, and while thats probably true, cost and reliability are more of a concern to me, especially considering that at the end of the day this is a truck, not a Mustang! It sounds like modifying driveshafts is cheaper and a lot easier than getting the adaptor.

The only other criteria I have is that I would prefer that the t-case had an electronic pushbutton shift option. My Bronco II has this, and I know some of the fullsize Broncos had this so I'm guessing this would be possible to get!

Thanks!
1990 Bronco II Eddie Bauer Edition, 1989 Bronco II XLT, But what to do to them???? :rubeyes:
302 with a C-4 would make things a lot simlper! Have you considered that option? :xyxthumbs:
Psalms 27:1
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
trkbilder Wrote:302 with a C-4 would make things a lot simlper! Have you considered that option? :xyxthumbs:

Yea I know the automatic option would be so much simpler, but I would really rather have a 5-speed. Plus, there's only a handful of people that have done 4x4 5-speed V8 swaps in a Ranger based vehicle, so I'd have something a bit different! :xyxthumbs:

If I had the choice between an auto 5.0 and a 5-speed 4.0, I'd probably pick the 4.0. That might be the easiest choice in the end. I really want a 5.0, but I'd really like to keep things manual so idk... At the end of the day, a 4.0 swap is SOO simple, it might be the better option in the end, or at least in the short term.

I did a bit more research, and from what I can see, I could use an M50D R2 behind the V8 but the BW-1356 transfer case that commonly came in the fullsize trucks with is too wide to fit between the frame rails of a Bronco II or RBV. Can anybody think of any other t-cases I could use, either with the M50D R2 or even another 5-speed tranny that was put behind the 302s? :rubeyes:
1990 Bronco II Eddie Bauer Edition, 1989 Bronco II XLT, But what to do to them???? :rubeyes:
did you say you wanted to keep the push button? If it were me and alot would agree get the man. shift trans case alot more dependable the less electronics the better when I whent to the beach i pulled out 2 chevys a trail blazer and a z71 tahoe both had push button 4x4 and both had failed half way down the beach if your gonna spend the money make it reliable but thats just my 2 cents
Lifes a garden dig it
Most 1/2 ton atruck had the Mazda 5sp. Not much better than the T5 as far as strength. Also doesn't have a low first or reverse ratio.

The ZF is harder to find, but not impossible. Has a granny 1st, OD 5th, and a low ratio reverse. Very, very tough tranny. You won't break it with a 302.

Also seen lots of people use the NV3550 conversion. It is a 5spd, but doesn't have granny. It will take moderate abuse. Found in Jeep Wranglers.

The NV4500 is the 3550's big brother. Found behind the Dodge Cummins. Equivalent to the ZF.
'72 TBA...
bone collector Wrote:did you say you wanted to keep the push button? If it were me and alot would agree get the man. shift trans case alot more dependable the less electronics the better when I whent to the beach i pulled out 2 chevys a trail blazer and a z71 tahoe both had push button 4x4 and both had failed half way down the beach if your gonna spend the money make it reliable but thats just my 2 cents

Yea I've heard a few things about this, but tbh in 18 years of use my grandfather has never had a problem with the system, and I like it so I'll probably keep it. The motors are the part prone to failing, and you can easily rebuild them, so I'll just pull the motor off, rebuild it, check the wires out, and fire it back together. If I have any problems though I'll definitly consider a swap! :xyxthumbs:

bucketobolts Wrote:Most 1/2 ton atruck had the Mazda 5sp. Not much better than the T5 as far as strength. Also doesn't have a low first or reverse ratio.

The ZF is harder to find, but not impossible. Has a granny 1st, OD 5th, and a low ratio reverse. Very, very tough tranny. You won't break it with a 302.

Also seen lots of people use the NV3550 conversion. It is a 5spd, but doesn't have granny. It will take moderate abuse. Found in Jeep Wranglers.

The NV4500 is the 3550's big brother. Found behind the Dodge Cummins. Equivalent to the ZF.

Right, so its a ZF S5-42 that I'd want then. Everything I've just read about them say's their tough as nails, and the only complaint people have is that they can be noisy. They were put behind F Series trucks with a 351 from 92-97? So what transfer case could I use then? Does the BW-1356 t-case still fit on that tranny?

Somehow notching my frame to make a transfer case fit doesn't appeal to me too much. I've heard some people doing RBV V8 conversions have sucessfully modified the t-case and tranny flange, since they are both round, and then rotate the t-case down some so it doesn't hit the frame. That might be an option.

Are there any other tranny and t-case options out there? The ZF tranny does sound like a good choice if i can just find some t-case that'll work!

Thanks for ya'lls help!
Quote:So what transfer case could I use then?

NP205

[SIZE=2]Not as wide as the BW and definitely indestructible.

[/SIZE]
'72 TBA...
bucketobolts Wrote:NP205

[/SIZE]

You sir... are the man!! :xyxthumbs::xyxthumbs:

Thanks for your help. If I read correctly they stopped putting the NP205 in trucks in 1980? So that would mean no push button i guess. Not the end of the world though.

I also checked Advance adaptors, they sell a kit to convert a ZF S5-42 tranny to run a Dana 300 T-case from a Jeep, and also a kit to convert a ZF to run a Dana 20 from an early Bronco.

Any of those good choices?

The biggest advantage of pushbutton shift in the conversion is that It would save me spending the rest of my teens fabbing up shift linkages for it. But at the end of the day I suppose thats part of the fun, and I can't have everything I guess! Confusedupergrin:

If no pushbutton t-cases will work, I can always use that extra space on my dash to mount a couple rocker switches for some spots or something! :xyxthumbs:

Thanks for your help guys!!!
bucketobolts Wrote:NP205

[/SIZE]

x2:biggthumpup:
Lifes a garden dig it

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1996 Ford Bronco- Body Bushing Install jrshepherd 2 2,230 09-19-2018, 02:50 PM
Last Post: blazinchuck
  1977 Ford Bronco rear ended 9" rebuild Crawdad 10 4,795 01-19-2017, 12:53 PM
Last Post: snipes243
  Adjusting Transfer Case Shifter jdowns67 1 685 10-27-2014, 01:49 PM
Last Post: Bronco Biff
  what transfer case Ron Burgandy 4 1,550 08-18-2013, 11:06 AM
Last Post: 1st Bronco
  cummins to a ford small block standard trans adapter plate Rdnckdemo 2 1,101 04-14-2013, 01:19 AM
Last Post: Rdnckdemo
  Ford D.U.I. Ignition scbronco 14 7,764 09-06-2012, 06:03 PM
Last Post: SC74
  Rattling/clicking noise from Transfer case jdowns67 3 1,100 05-15-2012, 08:03 AM
Last Post: jdowns67
  92 Fullsize Build - Scotts Bronco nitro 44 7,973 01-12-2012, 08:45 AM
Last Post: nitro
  90 Transmission Problems 2000F150SAS 1 1,006 06-21-2011, 10:53 AM
Last Post: 2000F150SAS
  90 Transfer Case Queston 2000F150SAS 0 1,965 03-28-2011, 10:17 AM
Last Post: 2000F150SAS