Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
power steering pumps
Ok Everybody Im currently running one of BC Saginaw. And Im tired of it. The pump seems to run ok but I can never keep fluid in them. The stupid things leak from between the pump and reservoir. This is the second pump that i have had from BC both do the same thing. So what is everybody running? I'm looking at going to hydro assist in the near future so any help would be awesome.
68 Half cab
Weird, I have been running a junkyard Saginaw for years with no issues. Is it possible there's something about your system that's causing the pumps to fail? Im only running 33s though. Are you running a cooler?
The funny thing the pump runs not bad, just cant keep fluid in them. I think its something with the bolts being to long that holds pump to the bc bracket.
68 Half cab
snipes243 Wrote:The funny thing the pump runs not bad, just cant keep fluid in them. I think its something with the bolts being to long that holds pump to the bc bracket.

I run a saginaw with power steering, hydroboos brakes and an assist ram and haven't had any problems with leaking.

Had a buddy that got leaks around the reservoir and it ended up being his vent line was clogged, as the fluid heated it created pressure and eventually would start leaking.

The bolts holding the pump onto the bracket shouldn't affect the seal around the pump and the reservoir. If the pump is loose on the bracket you may need to shorten the bolts a bit since they thread into a blind hole.

Nick
'73 Bronco - trail modified
nhopman Wrote:I run a saginaw with power steering, hydroboos brakes and an assist ram and haven't had any problems with leaking.

Had a buddy that got leaks around the reservoir and it ended up being his vent line was clogged, as the fluid heated it created pressure and eventually would start leaking.

The bolts holding the pump onto the bracket shouldn't affect the seal around the pump and the reservoir. If the pump is loose on the bracket you may need to shorten the bolts a bit since they thread into a blind hole.

Nick

Is your pump a double feed pump, Also can I just go to a parts store and get one with a warranty?

The reason the first pump died was the bolt supplied with the bc kit were much to long so as u tight them it pushed the reservoir out causing it not to leak up pour out of the bottom of the housing even when it wasnt running.
68 Half cab
snipes243 Wrote:Is your pump a double feed pump, Also can I just go to a parts store and get one with a warranty?

The reason the first pump died was the bolt supplied with the bc kit were much to long so as u tight them it pushed the reservoir out causing it not to leak up pour out of the bottom of the housing even when it wasnt running.

So it's the bolts that attach the reservoir to the pump, not the pump to the bracket - I can see that as a problem if it is pulling the can away from the pump.

I got one for a late 90's model 3500 suburban with the diesel engine.
did a quick look at orielly auto parts and got this number Cardone - Power Steering Pump Part Number: 20-8739 it was listed at $70 with lifetime warranty.

It's a single feed pretty sure all pumps are single feed. It does have dual returns though which is nice for the power steering and hydroboost brakes.
The thing about the pumps is that you have to know what the fitting size is on the hose and/or old pump and match it up. In other words if your existing pump and hose have 16mm threads then you would want to get a pump that also has 16mm threads on the pressure side. The other thing is that you can unscrew the output of the pump and convert it. As an example, I went to the junkyard and got like 4 pumps. I took the one in the best condition and swapped the output with one of the other pumps I had gotten to match the hose I had. I think you can go on NAPA.com or whatever and search for older Ford Vehicles and it will show you what pump and what the threads on the output is.
Check this out
http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail....26+2026018

This has the extra stuff for hydroboost and everything. Warranty included....BAM!
nhopman Wrote:I run a saginaw with power steering, hydroboos brakes and an assist ram and haven't had any problems with leaking.

Nick

Nick wHere is the vent line?
68 Half cab
snipes243 Wrote:Nick wHere is the vent line?

If you are using a saginaw can with a stock filler neck cap it should vent through the cap. If it's real dirty and gummed up, I may get built up with enough crap that air can't get through the cap when you tighten it down.

His was a PSC system and their cap is sealed, except for a spot for a vent hose.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Heim Steering wepuckett 20 4,177 08-28-2015, 03:18 PM
Last Post: wepuckett
  Steering box help snipes243 24 11,976 07-17-2015, 09:42 AM
Last Post: snipes243
  What type Power Steering Cooler are you all using? Broncitis 7 1,857 07-16-2015, 01:32 AM
Last Post: wepuckett
  In-tank fuel Pumps snipes243 0 1,339 06-22-2015, 02:06 PM
  Steering shaft Extension Question??? Broncitis 4 2,717 04-17-2015, 02:27 PM
Last Post: Broncitis
  Quick disconnect steering wheel snipes243 4 3,584 08-21-2012, 06:50 PM
  Power Steering issues Crawdad 31 4,955 07-28-2011, 09:29 PM
Last Post: Crawdad
  Home made heavy duty steering Timstrk 4 2,661 11-25-2010, 10:47 AM
Last Post: firefighter2134
  Dana 44 Power-Lock jdowns67 2 899 09-26-2010, 10:18 PM