Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sticky Throttle Problem
This problem all started when I unhooked my throttle cable from the throttle lever so that I could remove the cable bracket. I had to remove the bracket so that I could fab another bracket to mount to the same 2 bolts that the throttle bracket does.

I hooked the cable back up to it's "snap" on the lever and it has a very stiff spot in it at idle. If you punch it to get past it, it is smooth, but won't return all the way back to idle - stays up around 1,200 RPM and it idles around 600-700ish. I can manually get it back down to idle by pushing the lever under the hood with my hand, but it won't return under its own power.

I snapped the cable off and it is smooth. When I used my hand to adjust the throttle (which also opens the air butterfly) it was very sticky in the closed (or idle) position. I worked it back and forth a few times and it may be a LITTLE better, but not much - still won't return to idle.

I never did anything to effect this part. All I did was remove the bracket that sits completely separate from the butterfly lever.

Any ideas? It didn't do this before so I have obviously effected something but don't know how.
'74 Grocery Getter, '73 Project Buggy, '77 Parts Rig

[Image: Bannerpic.jpg]
Remove the IAC and see if that helps at all. If not, I would pull off the intake line and inspect the butterfly. Something may be stuck on the wall or the circumference of the butterfly. I understand you didn't touch these areas so it may be coincidence or when you removed the throttle cable it could have slammed shut. Does the butterfly return to closed on its own spring pressure without the help of the throttle spring?
'77 351w- Explorer EFI, 4R70W, 4-link, lockers, 4.56, 35" MT/Rs with a severe rock addiction.Confusedmokin:
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

[Image: sig2.jpg]
I have taken the air intake off and looked at the butterfly - everything seems to be ok.

No, it will not return to closed with the throttle cable un-hooked. It does have a sticky feel to it when I manually move the throttle lever / butterfly lever - just can't pin point where it is.

IAC - is that the wiring harness plug that goes down right there where the throttle cable bracket is? I did un-hook that to get the bracket out - could that have done something? Even with the motor off it has that sticky feel to it.

this is the IAC
[Image: iab.jpg]

http://oldfuelinjection.com/?p=39 some info
77 built 306,Trickflow Cam/Alum Heads/dome pistons/10:1comp,nv3550,duff long arms,3.5" lift,family cage,protofab rear bumper,twin sticked, and 35KM2'sG.D.I.
The IAC has no mechanical connection to the butterfly but I am just looking for debris in the passages. THe butterfly should return to closed on it's own spring tension. I wonder if the spring is damaged.
'77 351w- Explorer EFI, 4R70W, 4-link, lockers, 4.56, 35" MT/Rs with a severe rock addiction.Confusedmokin:
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

[Image: sig2.jpg]
The spring may be damaged. I did not touch it but it wouldn't doubt me.

I remember having a sticky pedal when I first got it running, but it wasn't this bad and it went away on it's own in not much time. This is much worse and I have worked it back and forth by hand numerous times to see if it would fix itself, but no success.

I may need to go looking for a new lever/spring assembly. I am also going to try cleaning the butterfly and housing with some MAF cleaner.

I have to hose the butterfly linkage with WD-40 a couple time a year to fix a sticky throttle at idle. I'd try that first.

If that doesn't help then

Take the throttle body off and try cleaning the inside of the throttle body and linkage with throttle body cleaner or I think I just used brake cleaner.

You don't want to get either of those on the MAF sensor, there is a spray specifically used for the MAF sensor.

Then give just the linkage a shot of WD or other lube and see what that does.
'73 Bronco - trail modified
Nick - You just hose the lever assembly where the spring is down with wd-40? nothing internal right?

That's too easy to try first to see if it works.

correct, just the outside parts, nothing inside.

Nick
'73 Bronco - trail modified

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  5.0 backfires - problem solved! SC74 50 7,328 01-17-2012, 03:18 PM
Last Post: johnpaulgolf
  Battery Problem???? Start slow..... Help... Mill Knob 22 3,550 10-01-2009, 01:03 PM
Last Post: JayT
  Need advice on tube flaring problem... chuzie 8 1,348 08-28-2009, 05:42 PM
Last Post: 66stocker
  93 Full Size Electrical Problem BigBird13 0 1,395 07-18-2009, 01:51 PM
Last Post: BigBird13
  problem with my 79 fordfan 4 2,477 01-04-2009, 10:04 PM
Last Post: broncomania
  electrical problem berg bronco 10 3,116 11-17-2008, 08:41 PM
Last Post: JayT
  Headlight problem fomoco 8 1,684 03-31-2008, 11:49 AM
Last Post: johnpaulgolf