Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help at URE on our trail!
I have been talking with Darren on NC4x4 about spider trails. There are several of them starting to form or already have formed this year. We need to eliminate them.

On our trail, my idea would be to use the old logs from the stream crossings that we tore out. We could cut them as need be for posts and then use full length logs for rails, making a guard rail out of them and use all thread and nuts/washers to bolt them all up.

We would need to use an auger to bore holes for the posts. I could bring my chainsaw to cut the posts. We'd need the gas drill or a few powerful electric drills to bore holes for the all thread. Beyond that, a few tape measures, shovels, and hand tools would be all that is required in addition to a straps or what not to drag logs around. I'd like to do this all soon. It would be a pretty heavy work day but with enough help it should be pretty easy. If anyone wants, well not wants, but feels obligated to help, please post up. I don't have a set date to do the work. I'm thinking on NOT a typical work day as augers are in short supply.

Thoughts or ideas are welcomed! Your input and help is much needed. Let's talk it out and come up with a plan!!!
I have a older gas generator and a bosch drill that would likely work well drilling the holes. I'd need to get the generator out and check it to make sure it is in working order. I have not used it for 2 years.
When are you thinking about it? Im free this weekend and the weekend of the 20.
68 Half cab
Sounds like hot heavy work to me :razz:
That being said, I like the idea of re-purposing the bridge logs, they would look better than metal guardrail. This month is fairly full for me, but let me know when and hopefully I can make it.

Nick
'73 Bronco - trail modified
Let me find out some more info on getting ahold of an auger and materials.

It will be a heavy day- no 2 ways about it. The hardest part will probably be using the auger. I've never used it. Maybe it works effortlessly but I really doubt that. The remainder of the work really shouldn't be that bad. I'm hoping that we won't have to put up too many blockades. We will need to block off that re-route at the top of the rocky hill that we saw last month.

I think Clay needs to recruit some of his old college buddies for a day and we can watch them do some of the hard work Smile
The work associated with a auger all depends on the soil. When clay is dry it will sit there and smoke with little progress, rocks also mess with it alot. When the clay is moist it is not to bad.
broncosbybart Wrote:Let me find out some more info on getting ahold of an auger and materials.

It will be a heavy day- no 2 ways about it. The hardest part will probably be using the auger. I've never used it. Maybe it works effortlessly but I really doubt that. The remainder of the work really shouldn't be that bad. I'm hoping that we won't have to put up too many blockades. We will need to block off that re-route at the top of the rocky hill that we saw last month.

I think Clay needs to recruit some of his old college buddies for a day and we can watch them do some of the hard work Smile

I can probably recruit at least 2 additional guys, just need a heads up on when we are doing the trail day.
68 Half cab
just looked on NC4X4 13 June next work day anyone headed that way? I'm game if its trash and wheeling with some spider trail blockage. Post up, I have maintenance to preform, haven't touch the truck since Nov.
So no one is interested on Saturday? I may go out, cruise and pick up trash.
Sorry for not replying sooner. Had to wait on the USFS to approve this course of action. Naturally a 'yes' decision was made on Friday- kinda late notice.

So, we have the go ahead to use the posts. Now we just need to get out there and do it. It is hotter than hades this week/weekend, so that is out. Snappy has informed me that we have all thread and hardware as well as access to an auger and maybe a drill. Lets figure out a time to get some work done, if anyone is willing.

My schedule is pretty open. The weekend of the 4th is coming up quick. That weekend is no good for me but just about any other one should be ok.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  URE workday Sat March 25 broncosbybart 17 5,628 05-22-2018, 09:39 PM
Last Post: broncosbybart
  Sat Feb 25 URE Workday broncosbybart 4 2,030 02-26-2017, 01:57 PM
Last Post: snipes243
  January 2017 URE Workday broncosbybart 6 2,425 02-16-2017, 01:47 AM
  Roll call- Oct 22 URE workday broncosbybart 15 4,847 10-23-2016, 12:13 PM
  URE Work Day - July 16 2016 nhopman 16 4,482 07-18-2016, 10:03 PM
  URE work day- Sat May 21, 2016 broncosbybart 17 4,242 05-21-2016, 09:40 AM
Last Post: Bronco Biff
  URE March 19-20, 2016 Work Day nhopman 45 11,015 04-02-2016, 07:20 PM
Last Post: wepuckett
  Feb 20 URE winter workday broncosbybart 39 9,700 02-24-2016, 10:16 PM
Last Post: mrwarner44
  URE Winter Workday Jan 23 broncosbybart 34 7,638 01-31-2016, 02:02 PM
Last Post: Broncitis
  Dec 12 2015- URE trail run and Rendezvous Meeting broncosbybart 22 6,635 12-16-2015, 02:34 PM
Last Post: chuzie