Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Off Road!
Took the new truck off road this afternoon. They are clearing a bunch of land in my neighborhood and have a few hills built up and there was some good bouncing around. The wife and 17 month old loved it. Knocked the crap out of the oilpan protector and scared the wife. Fortunately it was just a big pile of mud that made alot of noise and nothing bad. I am thinking this might end up being more of an trail truck then a nice road truck like she was thinking. Now I just have to figure out what to do to keep it a blend between road and trail truck.
:upup:Sweet sounds like fun keep us posted :biggthumpup:
Waiting to build or BUY another legend! :thefinger:
Always an EB fan, lover and freak :notworthy:

1985 Yoda 4Runner :xyxthumbs:
rcflyer23 Wrote:Now I just have to figure out what to do to keep it a blend between road and trail truck.

small lift ,35" or smaller tires. off-road lights, cb radio, small tool box, recovery strap , 2 strong places to hook the recovery strap to the vehicle ( clevis) , first aid kit , flash light , gloves , matches ,blanket , bottle water, extra stuff to keep warm.
East Coast Surplus & Tactical
336-674-3868
medium size tires..MT's(35-ish) would do wonders on and off road. Do-it-yourself paint that looks great on and of road...those are some simple ways to accomplish the both great ways to go. Sounds like yall had a blast! We had our little girl(just over 12 months-wife going crazy!!) heading down Daniel and going up kodak rock all at URE!!!! My girl had a blast...weeeeeeeeeeeeeee. I vote for both duties!!Chuck
77 built 306,Trickflow Cam/Alum Heads/dome pistons/10:1comp,nv3550,duff long arms,3.5" lift,family cage,protofab rear bumper,twin sticked, and 35KM2'sG.D.I.
broncomania Wrote:small lift ,35" or smaller tires. off-road lights, cb radio, small tool box, recovery strap , 2 strong places to hook the recovery strap to the vehicle ( clevis) , first aid kit , flash light , gloves , matches ,blanket , bottle water, extra stuff to keep warm.

That sounds perfect. I don't want a huge lift for sure. 35" sounds good. What kind of CB are you guys using? We are in a 91 Fullsize I hadn't really looked at the offroad options but I think after today the wife maybe hooked and I can't help to want to get into it more with the little boy giggling up a storm in the back when we would boune around and get sideways. I don't think we will ever get into the Rock climbing stuff with this one but I would like to be able to handle most trails and hills. Speaking of which what are some good places to go around in North Carolina? Especially for beginners.
Sounds like you guys had a great time!!:clap:
Psalms 27:1
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
blazinchuck Wrote:medium size tires..MT's(35-ish) would do wonders on and off road. Do-it-yourself paint that looks great on and of road...those are some simple ways to accomplish the both great ways to go. Sounds like yall had a blast! We had our little girl(just over 12 months-wife going crazy!!) heading down Daniel and going up kodak rock all at URE!!!! My girl had a blast...weeeeeeeeeeeeeee. I vote for both duties!!Chuck

We did it was alot of fun. I am sure we will head out there tomorrow again. I guess I will have to start researching all the off road stuff. I drive my wife nuts with that. I love to research stuff and figure out as much as I possibly can before I actually do anything. When DVD players first came out I looked for 6 months before I actually bought one. Smile

I think if I can balance between the road and trail and at the same time make it look really nice she will be a happy woman. In all honesty it is her truck. She is the one that has wanted one for a long time and I bought it for her but now I am the one addicted.
I'd add a locker in one of the axles. I wheeled my rig for a year or so with a locker in the front and a wore out traclok in the rear. It will surprise you at how much having both front wheels pulling will help out.
If I were starting over with my bronco, I'd go with a 4" lift with ext. radius arms (any brand but pro comp), and 33" tires. As far as lockers, I'd actually recommend a TrueTrac LS for the rear. They don't have clutches to wear out, so they'll last a long time. I wouldn't put a locker in the TTB, but if you have the disposable income, a 2nd TrueTrac would be nice. I would recommend the D50 stub shaft modification, however. Do you have a 351 or 302? If it's a 351, I don't know if I'd even bother regearing to 4.10's for the 33's. As far as CB radios, it really doesn't matter. None of them transmit more than a couple miles. If you really communicate with people off-road, get your ham radio license...

Believe me, I'm the last person that I thought would jump on this bandwagon, but if you're wheeling on land that doesn't belong to you, be careful. The last thing that the four wheeling community is for us to give more ammo to the tree-huggers by tresspassing and tearing up other peoples land.
'95 Bronco -- 351W-435-205, D44 SAS, Cromos, Truetrac, E-Locker
Ogeechee 4x4 Wrote:Believe me, I'm the last person that I thought would jump on this bandwagon, but if you're wheeling on land that doesn't belong to you, be careful. The last thing that the four wheeling community is for us to give more ammo to the tree-huggers by tresspassing and tearing up other peoples land.

Yeah 10-4 on that. Well the tree huggers would be pissed about this land no matter what. The developer has clear leveled it. It was supposed to be the 3rd phase of our community but that has been put on hold. It is nothing but torn up land at the moment. Obviously once they start working on it again I will quit. If it wasn't "community" land I would have never gone on it. I wouldn't want someone tearing up my land unless I knew about it and could help. Confusedupergrin: One of these days when I am rich I will just buy up 1000acres and everyone can come play... Of course by that time all the 4x4's will probably be electric and will sound really funny running through the trails.

Anyway outside of trying to justify playing on "community" land, your point is taken. :beer:

Ogeechee 4X4 Wrote:If I were starting over with my bronco, I'd go with a 4" lift with ext. radius arms (any brand but pro comp), and 33" tires. As far as lockers, I'd actually recommend a TrueTrac LS for the rear. They don't have clutches to wear out, so they'll last a long time. I wouldn't put a locker in the TTB, but if you have the disposable income, a 2nd TrueTrac would be nice. I would recommend the D50 stub shaft modification, however. Do you have a 351 or 302? If it's a 351, I don't know if I'd even bother regearing to 4.10's for the 33's. As far as CB radios, it really doesn't matter. None of them transmit more than a couple miles. If you really communicate with people off-road, get your ham radio license...

See this is the area where I have alot to learn. I was thinking probably a 4" lift. The Lockers and all that stuff is where I lack any knowledge. I have the 302. Do many guys out there have ham radios? I have gone back and forth for years about getting my license. I know a little about street cars but I don't have the first clue about off road equipment, I just know it looks fun and the wife loves it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Took the 4door for a little road trip Bronco Biff 5 1,043 11-28-2013, 09:23 AM
Last Post: Bronco Biff
  new off-road recovery vehicle DeTowman 26 4,886 10-26-2007, 10:28 PM
Last Post: DeTowman