Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JayT's lil 66 build
First the story... Sorry to be long winded, but I don't think I've ever documented this yet... So, if you're here for pics, hang tight... I'll post some soon.... Here goes.

This is my first EB build (hell, it's my first and only EB - for now)... Figured it was about time I posted up a build thread... If nothing else, this build has been and will continue to be a learning experience for me. Which is completely why I bought it many years ago. Maybe it'll help someone, most likely teach them what not to do.

At any rate, here's what I started with... I found "the" one off ebay in SE Kentucky... Made the deal, rode out with a buddy of mine going to Chattanooga for the weekend. The trip itself was worth buying this ride for about $1k (iirc).

It had already been converted to a "289", but not running... Windshield was broken, but hinged, and had a spare fixed frame with perfect glass. Floor boards were JUNK. Found more tobacco tins and other trash in the back, than anything else. But hey, it was "only" 800 bucks, right? Had some cool fold-n-tumble seats too...

Drug it home on a Uhaul trailer behind my buddy's F150 (poor truck). (Again, that's another story.) Cleaned it out, tuned it up, got Motocraft carb to work (barely) and it fired up! What a great feeling... So good that my roommate and I tore a$$ up the neighborhood roads sitting on stadium seats and with no brakes. WooWoo... Went and got Ins/tags at DMV the next day. Got brakes fixed up, put seats in and we're rollin! Great times... for 3 days....

On the way to work for the first time, noticed a noise from inside valve covers. At lunch, headed over to parts house, and checked on some top-end parts to make sure they were in stock when I got home and figured out what I needed. Never made it back to the office. Spewed so much oil out, I figured I had to have thrown a rod... Got it home and nope, thankfully... Just a stuck valve/lifter/pushrod/something... and the Cam broke! Still got two lobes of it as my office paperweight.

Towed it home and started teardown. Ends up, after bringing block to machine shop that this was a 302, not the 289 I was told that I was buying. It's supposedly a rare 302 block, but I'll post the casting # for you gurus later.

I'll abbreviate the story some here. Not much happened for a few years... It had sat for nearly 4 years (I know... I know...) while Jill and I courted, got married, life happened, etc. Now that I think about it, the first gift Jill gave me (out of the blue, even) was an Edelbrock Performer intake for the EB... Now I know why I married her!

So, now, it's finally getting wrenched on... pulled the body off, blasted the frame, repaired some "minor" rust, and getting ready for the wrench-n-party in Sept. We should have everything done on the frame and body back on afterwards.

I bought Chuck's 302 this spring and can't wait to drop it in shortly thereafter.

Thanks for the room to post my story. I'm sorry to put you to sleep, had you read this whole post!

Here's the before pic (during the 1st three days that it actually ran on the road). I'll try to keep this up to date, now that I have a home for the build.

JayT

Attached Files Image(s)

great story jt. cant wait to see more pics.
East Coast Surplus & Tactical
336-674-3868
Thanks! Hopefully, keeping this up-to-date will keep me wrenchin on it a little more... and get it "done" soon.

Here's the frame before blasting... You have to love the wiring those KY boys did... Who knows, the engine blowin up might have saved me... Presumably, it was just a ground since it's green, but damn... Confusedcratchhe:

Attached Files Image(s)

Some body shots (no work done on it yet). It'll need some door posts & rockers.

And some shots of the frame after blasting... No new holes or areas to repair. Thankfully.

Attached Files Image(s)

Its about time you shared this with us ... :popc1:

:popc1:

Waiting to build or BUY another legend! :thefinger:
Always an EB fan, lover and freak :notworthy:

1985 Yoda 4Runner :xyxthumbs:
johnpaulgolf Wrote:Its about time you shared this with us ... :popc1:

Ya'll were starting to doubt that I had an EB, weren't ya?! :hysterical:
nice!
Eric. :rebel:
Its always nice to see other guys projects Thanks for sharing.
Life is short------drive your bronco everyday!
Looks like fun ... gives me the itch to get another!
So what's the plan with this little Bronco?
Daily driver? Big bad off road rig? Somewhere in between?
Wow... you have done a lot of great work. You should be very proud of what you have accomplished. :biggthumpup:
'77 EB, 2.5" SL, 2"BL, Cummins 4bt, C4 w/Art Carr manual Valve Body, 35" BFG KM2s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_HqhiW38ik

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  77 LUBR Build in SC, Part 2 Crawdad 79 34,314 04-20-2020, 12:57 PM
Last Post: Crawdad
  ECORS Class A race rig build broncosbybart 387 70,807 10-29-2014, 05:33 PM
Last Post: broncosbybart
  1969 Bronco Build jtoney51 9 3,441 07-09-2013, 10:26 PM
Last Post: jtoney51
  My 76 LUBR Build in SC Crawdad 177 29,373 05-14-2013, 07:13 PM
Last Post: chuzie
  DWB Build Thread DirtyWhiteBoy 33 8,251 12-30-2012, 09:14 PM