Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cradle for temporary engine storage
So I mentioned in the wrenching thread that I was looking at pulling my engine off the frame so I could give everything a good clean and paint. I've got the hoist lined up for next week, but it occurs to me that I don't have a place to sit the engine down...

What I was initially thinking was some sort of pallet with a V channel that would support the block without crushing the oil pan. I think I've seen crate motors shipped this way? I could be imagining things. Ideally I'd like to keep the engine and transmission connected just for keeping things simple.

So, does anyone in the triangle area have anything I could borrow for a bit, or have any ideas about how I could whip something like this up? I see some metal ones on summit, but I don't see me re-using this anytime soon. I just need something to last a month or two until I put it back on the frame.

For reference, it's a 302 with an NP435.
If you set it down gently, you really don't have anything to worry about with regards to the oil pan. If you are still concerned, just stack a few 2x or 4x4s high enough to let the engine settle on the pan flange.
'77 351w- Explorer EFI, 4R70W, 4-link, lockers, 4.56, 35" MT/Rs with a severe rock addiction.Confusedmokin:
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

[Image: sig2.jpg]
If you are keeping the engine/trans connected, you can let the tail of the assembly rest on the trans. Then put wooden 4x4's and 2x4's (whatever height is required) along the length of the oil pan rails on each side of the engine to support the block by the pan rails. Quick, easy, and you are like most of us, you probably already have enough scraps laying around to do it with.

Edit, chuzie beat me to the post. At least we have the same advice Big Grin
Thanks gents, I'll give that a shot. Much appreciated!
......and if you want something with wheels, I've taken the basket off of grocery carts and used them. Had a good supply with a buddy that cleans and repairs them...
:xyxthumbs: ROCKNROLL!!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Charleston, SC engine builders ncsubronc 4 1,688 06-28-2012, 12:32 PM
Last Post: ncsubronc
  NEED HELP (engine hoist) in Atlanta area. BucknEB 9 1,611 12-15-2011, 11:51 AM
Last Post: BucknEB
  Engine and transmission replacement from a Explorer Shark 30 3 1,074 04-26-2010, 10:06 AM
Last Post: Bighorn
  Hard top storage. Mill Knob 5 2,992 10-05-2009, 01:44 PM
Last Post: Mill Knob
  Engine Swap...wanna help UTfball68 4 2,228 09-17-2009, 07:57 PM
Last Post: UTfball68
  Engine HELP!!!! brewie212 9 1,584 12-15-2008, 10:05 AM
Last Post: bucketobolts
  New Engine for the 79! DeTowman 0 772 01-25-2008, 04:54 PM
Last Post: DeTowman