Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ron Davis Rad Install
This is a request from the desk of the [SIZE="5"]"GRAND POOHBAH"[/SIZE]

I had to modify the hangers by :cut:cutting out the sides and rubber in order to insure a tight fit. The top hangers had alot of work and the bottom only toke a little off the sides.

[Image: th_rad005.jpg]

The shroud had precut holes for mounting, but I had to drill:down: the rad in 4 places. I really took my time here in order not to have the fan hit my shroud.
[Image: th_rad001.jpg]
[Image: th_rad008.jpg]

I also bought a special "rad cap" to stop Electrolytic Metal Erosion(EME). The cap has a sacrafical Anode in order to help prevent "EME"

[Image: th_RADCAP001.jpg]
[Image: th_rad004.jpg]

Then I installed a 10" elec. fan to help more in cooling my new motor.

[Image: th_rad002.jpg]

I wish I had some action photos but I am a rookie at this and I know my little "tech" article is not the best but I hope yall enjoy.:biggthumpup:
Waiting to build or BUY another legend! :thefinger:
Always an EB fan, lover and freak :notworthy:

1985 Yoda 4Runner :xyxthumbs:
dang that looks sweet John!!! Real nice,Chuck
77 built 306,Trickflow Cam/Alum Heads/dome pistons/10:1comp,nv3550,duff long arms,3.5" lift,family cage,protofab rear bumper,twin sticked, and 35KM2'sG.D.I.
So you have an engine mounted fan with shroud and electric mounted
on the front side. Looks great. Where did you get that shroud? I need one too. Would rather not make one if I can avoid it. I have the Explorer serp so it may require a different one but I am not sure.

Two things to consider:
1.) If you are using a temperature probe in the radiator for the electric fan I would make sure you are not running it through the fins (which is where most of them are supposed to go). Unless the probe it is the same aluminum as your radiator, or softer (which I have never seen), you risk wearing a hole through your expensive radiator.

2.) Keep in mind the possibility that placing an electric fan could hamper airflow to the engine mounted fan in that the engine mounted may be demanding more airflow than electric can keep up with. I can't tell you how to determine if this is the case for your setup without installing a bunch of measuring devices, but just keep that in mind if you get to the point of further troubleshooting the temperature issue.

If you really want to get crazy you can fab a shroud to place on top of the core support to keep air from bypassing the radiator over the top. I made a quickie with some flashing from the hardware store. It worked pretty well.

Good job. Thanks for the idea of the Anode cap. I am not sure if I have one on my rig or not.I am sure Chuck will let me know . I would hate to let something like that sit even longer than it already has. I paid good $$$ for my Ron Davis too.

Oh, did you perform the electrolysis check on your radiator?

Ok. Fingers hurt now. Bye Bye.
'77 351w- Explorer EFI, 4R70W, 4-link, lockers, 4.56, 35" MT/Rs with a severe rock addiction.Confusedmokin:
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

[Image: sig2.jpg]
[quote=chuzie] Where did you get that shroud?

Wild Horses http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Ron.../Ron_Davis

If you are using a temperature probe in the radiator for the electric fan I would make sure you are not running it through the fins

No temp probe(my elec. fan is on a toggle)

2.) Keep in mind the possibility that placing an electric fan could hamper airflow to the engine mounted fan in that the engine mounted may be demanding more airflow than electric can keep up with. I can't tell you how to determine if this is the case for your setup without installing a bunch of measuring devices, but just keep that in mind if you get to the point of further troubleshooting the temperature issue.

I would think the fan would greatly increase the air flow

If you really want to get crazy you can fab a shroud to place on top of the core support to keep air from bypassing the radiator over the top. I made a quickie with some flashing from the hardware store. It worked pretty well.

I will consider that its probably cheaper. http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/SS_..._Radiators Maybe something like this?

Good job. Thanks for the idea of the Anode cap. I am not sure if I have one on my rig or not.I am sure Chuck will let me know . I would hate to let something like that sit even longer than it already has. I paid good $$$ for my Ron Davis too.

Wild Horses has um http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Rad..._Radiators

Oh, did you perform the electrolysis check on your radiator?

NOPE
Waiting to build or BUY another legend! :thefinger:
Always an EB fan, lover and freak :notworthy:

1985 Yoda 4Runner :xyxthumbs:
Ya, I had a toggle on mine too. That is your best bet.

It will increse the airflow so long as your engine fan is not pulling more than the electric fan.

Can you believe they charge $60 for a $5 piece of sheet metal? Sweet!

Thanks for the links. You're getting pretty good with all this forum stuff.
'77 351w- Explorer EFI, 4R70W, 4-link, lockers, 4.56, 35" MT/Rs with a severe rock addiction.Confusedmokin:
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

[Image: sig2.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1996 Ford Bronco- Body Bushing Install jrshepherd 2 2,233 09-19-2018, 02:50 PM
Last Post: blazinchuck
  Southern Rods AC kit install..part 1-heater blazinchuck 22 6,158 03-09-2013, 09:47 PM
  ebay radiator(5.0 conversion) install... blazinchuck 8 5,073 10-15-2012, 10:30 PM
Last Post: firefighter2134
  bushing install ? firefighter2134 2 2,615 08-11-2011, 10:30 PM
  Oil Pressure Guage install location??? Crawdad 3 1,876 04-12-2011, 12:35 PM
  TRO install on my '77 chuzie 9 3,137 12-28-2010, 06:41 PM
  ididit install berg bronco 25 3,745 12-27-2010, 01:09 PM
Last Post: berg bronco
  Need help with transfer case install 73Bronc 34 8,658 08-18-2010, 11:45 PM
Last Post: 73Bronc
  Need Speaker Install Ideas 73Bronc 20 4,560 03-19-2010, 09:00 PM